Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

The only g-sync monitor I know of with hdmi and alternative inputs is the Benq XL2420G. They basically just slapped the g-sync module and display port on their XL2420Z monitor and created separate modes for each. On the other hand, I think most of the freesync monitors will have a full range of inputs. I know the Acer XG270HU was listed that way. There's also a Benq XL2730Z that mentions the VESA standard instead of g-sync or freesync and has multiple hdmi and other inputs. I don't know how long I'll have to wait, but I'd love an IPS g-sync 1440 monitor with multiple inputs so I can use it with more than one computer easily.
The Acer's specs have been updated to only include DP.

Okay so I've thought about it and the single DP is a total deal-breaker for me.

Don't want to have to buy a second display for my consoles and scalers.

Stupid Acer. :mad:

http://i.imgur.com/yPp8XDv.jpg

It does actually seem like the left monitor has better blacks.
But on the photo with the bezels it looks completely opposite. What gives?

Well, my shitty TN laptop might not be well suited for this kind of comparisons after all :D

IIRC the bezel color thing has something to do with how bad our brain's at white balance or something.
Most know the trick but here: hide the middle with your finger;
2bznuu.jpg
yup exactly.

what i was saying is that in the pictures ncx posted, the actual black levels in the pictures aren't even the same. hence it's not very useful as an example to demonstrate the effect of glossy vs matte bezels

anyway matte bezels do affect perceived contrast when there is ambient light. it's a well known effect that surrounding a dark image with lighter borders makes the image look darker. in pretty much all cases, the matte bezel will overall be brighter than a glossy bezel, so this effect is more pronounced. but how much of an effect it is... i have no idea

personally, it's not a big deal and this issue is probably the last thing i would consider in a monitor. if i cared about having blacks looking black on an lcd i'd use bias lighting though probably i'd still be unhappy as i'm used to crt blacks :p

the actual black levels in the pictures aren't even the same. hence it's not very useful as an example to demonstrate the effect of glossy vs matte bezels

They are exactly the same, but the glossy black bezel vastly effects the perceived black depth. Originals

1 & 2

People with standards do not like glossy black or frame-less bezels, nor want to void their expensive monitors warranty to prevent dark content from looking washed out.

Last edited:
first, since the illumination on each monitor isn't uniform (left area lighter than right), juxtaposing the images left and right is unfair in the center area as the left monitor's right area is contrasted with the right monitor's left area.
e.g. http://i.imgur.com/xkT7qZu.jpg

a better way to compare the two pictures is to align them and flip them back and forth.

http://imgur.com/Eq3hxrH,Dwh6uuC#0

now before anyone who's reading this starts to go "wow see the matte one is so much darker!!!", take a look at the wall in the top left corner. it's obvious that the camera's exposure was different for the two pictures. and actually if you look at those flickr links of the original pictures, the camera aperture settings for the two pictures are different (f/5.6 and f/4.8). if you cover up the bezels and only look at the screen in each picture

http://imgur.com/NNpe4Tx,GDJbLIR#1
it's also evident that the picture with the matte bezel is lighter overall.

Damn, while waiting for the XB270HU review I've let a fantastic deal on another monitor pass.

Really did not anticipate the single input thing. Oh God I hate you Acer.

Very interested in this, what kind of paint did you use plz ?

Universal Flat Black Paint & Primer for my Qnix & Crossover, and Oil Rubbed Bronze for the HP Z1 panel in the MOTV casing.

if you look at those flickr links of the original pictures, the camera aperture settings for the two pictures are different (f/5.6 and f/4.8). if you cover up the bezels and only look at the screen in each picture.

You are right about this; I thought the settings were identical, and I'm not sure why or how the aperture setting is different, though the difference it makes is minimal. Here are the 'proper' pictures which prove the same thing.

Matte bezel on the glossy Crossover & Glossy bezel on the glossy Crossover.

Glossy bezel on HP Z1 & Custom Bezel on HP Z1 & Images together.

G-Sync only works over display port so not buying a G-sync monitor because thats all it has doesn't make any sense to me. Every G-sync monitor released except the BenQ oner mentioned is released the same way. You don't buy this monitor to play your Xbox on.

And are we seriously arguing bezels and black levels with Imgur pictures and photoshop?

G-Sync only works over display port so not buying a G-sync monitor because thats all it has doesn't make any sense to me. Every G-sync monitor released except the BenQ oner mentioned is released the same way. You don't buy this monitor to play your Xbox on.

To you maybe not, but I needed an all-in-one do-it-all monitor, since it was announced as such it was legitimate to expect that. So who doesn't make sense ?
(EDIT: you probably don't get my point, I wasn't expecting g-sync or other stuff to work with my consoles and video scalers, but I wanted one monitor for all uses/sources. 700€ just for pc gaming, no thanks, I only rarely play pc games anyway).

Acer did poor communication and many websites/comments told loads of BS. At least I'm glad I didn't preorder.

Don't get me wrong it will most certainly be awesome and just what many exclusively-pc-gamers were waiting for, but it's obviously not for everyone because it's not versatile at all.

I'll just wait and see what alternatives will come in the future, maybe the FreeSync monitors will be the solution for me (those FreeSync-approved built-in scalers are supposed to be multi-input).

Last edited:
yup this shows the effect well.

I'm sorry but I understand I'm supposed to see darker blacks on the monitors with matte bezels, yes? To me the glossy, darker bezel monitors look to have darker blacks for whatever reason. I'm also trying really hard to tell a difference.

(EDIT: you probably don't get my point, I wasn't expecting g-sync or other stuff to work with my consoles and video scalers, but I wanted one monitor for all uses/sources. 700€ just for pc gaming, no thanks, I only rarely play pc games anyway).

Acer did poor communication and many websites/comments told loads of BS. At least I'm glad I didn't preorder.

Don't get me wrong it will most certainly be awesome and just what many exclusively-pc-gamers were waiting for, but it's obviously not for everyone because it's not versatile at all.

I'll just wait and see what alternatives will come in the future, maybe the FreeSync monitors will be the solution for me (those FreeSync-approved built-in scalers are supposed to be multi-input).

Yeah, the inputs were miscommunicated on most sites out there. If you rarely play PC games then yes this is not the monitor for you.

Acer's XG270HU will be 144Hz free sync compatable, but is TN film instead of IPS. You'll run into the same problem though as free-sync runs off a Displayport 1.2a adaptive sync input standard. This one is reporting DVI and HDMI inputs currently. I'd wait for official specs though.

wouldn't get my hopes up--afaik both models were reported as having DVI/HDMI/DP so it'll likely be the same situation as this one come actual release

I actually need stuff like G/Free-sync or strobing mostly for the most advanced emulation of retro games. Yes those do take huge advantage of this today.
And IPS is a must of course.
The other inputs would have been for my regular use of HD consoles and other stuff via dedicated external video scalers.

The XB270HU would have been perfect actually, it's (almost) the ideal monitor I've been waiting for, why wouldn't it have been for me, and only for PC gamers ?
This is just the kind of idea that made Acer not include other inputs, they are not even aware other crowds could be interested in their product.

Reminds me of the stupid 16:10 monitors that don't include 16:9 ratio modes.
Manufacturers don't give a fuck as long as they're aiming at a general direction and basta.

I wonder if one of those displayport to hdmi/dvi adapters connected to the monitor instead of the pc would work. I have one of each but haven't bothered to check. I could check later this evening.

Thanks but if the Acer doesn't have a built-in scaler, a simple adapter won't work I believe... (or the adapter would need to feature its own scaler, and a decent one).

the DP to dual linke DVI adapter I have is an active one. Would that mean it has a scaler?

I have no idea... active could mean it carries its own current for detection, but it could be a in integrated scaler as well, yeah. If you happen to have a reference/link maybe ?

Oh I see thanks anyway.

There must have been discussions/posts about 1080>1440 external upscaling solutions somewhere, but I couldn't find anything really relevant yet.

I know external scalers that do 1200p and some that do 4K, but not 1440p...

Wow, this thread has run the gauntlet. From bezel reflectivity to why doesn't the monitor have every input under the sun so I can use my SuperNES.

Summary:

1. If you don't like glossy bezels, popping off the front bezel and spraying it matte would take about two minutes.

2. DP 1.2 is the only input as that is what the G-Sync board was designed for, not to mention DP 1.2 is the only current connectivity standard with enough bandwidth to work at 144 Hz 1440p. Trying to run this monitor off a SuperNES is like buying a Ferrari to haul lumber. Completely pointless and not within the purview of thew product.

2. Who talked about every input under the sun or a Super NES ? You didn' read me and you don't know the first thing.

I'm talking about three different uses;
- emulation with the benefits of g-sync or ulmb -> ok no problem with DP on the XB270HU
- playing HD consoles -> can't do on the XB270HU
- playing other retro devices using dedicated external scalers that output up to 1200p in HDMI max -> can't do on the XB270HU

So I wanted a single monitor for all those, but turns out I can only do one thing on the Acer because it doesn't even have one DVI or HDMI input and most probably no built-in scaler anyway.

Just don't want to spend 700€ just for using emulators (even if g-sync and ulmb are genuinely awesome for those), I can't use all my devices with it so the price is too high for me.
What is it you don't understand ?

Last edited:
I'd just like another input so I can use it as a secondary monitor on my 5k imac. As it is, I'd have one monitor for the pc and then the imac. If there was a decent display port 1.2 switch out there I'd probably consider that as an option.

2. Who talked about every input under the sun or a Super NES ? You didn' read me and you don't know the first thing.

- emulation with the benefits of g-sync or ulmb -> ok no problem with DP on the XB270HU
- playing other retro devices using dedicated external scalers that output up to 1200p in HDMI max -> can't do on the XB270HU

So I wanted a single monitor for all those, but turns out I can only do one thing on the Acer because it doesn't even have one DVI or HDMI input and most probably no built-in scaler anyway.

Just don't want to spend 700€ just for using emulators (even if g-sync and ulmb are genuinely awesome for those), I can't use all my devices with it so the price is too high for me.

1080p IPS monitors can be had for just over $100 nowadays, is it really that big of a deal just to pick up a second display? Personally I wouldn't want to use a PS4/Xbone on a 1440p display due to it not being native resolution but hey that's just me. I'd rather spend a little bit more money for a secondary display if I didn't have one already. After using a dual monitor set up for years I can't go back to a single display even if it had every possible feature.

Oh I understand, no one cares. It's a G-Sync monitor designed for use on a PC with a NVIDIA GPU. This isn't the Swiss-army knife of displays, let it go. Complaining about it endlessly won't do anything. Contact Acer.

Back on topic-

From TFT Central:

Monitor doesn't support 3D (which doesn't matter to me)
Uses: AU Optronics AHVA (IPS-type) M270DAN02.3 panel
Full review expected tomorrow

It is on-topic since it has been wrongly announced as being multi-input to begin and finally ends-up not being.

I don't know what's your problem with my complaint and I'm done with it anyway, are you happy ?

Damn is there some kind of discrimination rule here against users who are not the pc-gaming stereotype nerd and requiring to behave like douches with those who have a bit different expectations ?

Okay back on topic as you wished I'm out. Fascist jerk.

Lol please do you know how many try to play PS4 Xbox on 4k.. ooh it HAS to work! lol

Nothing wrong with asking..it is on topic. And its just text.. ask away someone nice will pop in and answer if they know.

Me I like 3D.. but 3D wont work with G-Sync so.. I have to settle for 144 TN.. which is ok. Better then Passive. This new Acer wont have 3D...

Last edited:
Lol please do you know how many try to play PS4 Xbox on 4k.. ooh it HAS to work! lol

Nothing wrong with asking..it is on topic. And its just text.. ask away someone nice will pop in and answer if they know.

Me I like 3D.. but 3D wont work with G-Sync so.. I have to settle for 144 TN.. which is ok. Better then Passive. This new Acer wont have 3D...

I understand what you mean but that wasn't the kind of point I was trying to make.
People seem to assume I thought my consoles or other HD sources would benefit from g-sync or whatever, which of course I never stated but people will immediately take for an idiot anyone who doesn't share the pack's unique narrow vision.

I'm just baffled at the poor mentality and prejudice on those forums that's all. They don't know exactly what you're talking about, assume something irrelevant, and treat you like shit without thinking or hesitating even a second about it.

It's just text yeah, so what ? doesn't make them less jerks.

From TFT centrals Twitter

AHVA is IPS for all intents and purposes. It's IPS made by AUO. All manuf inc BenQ - who are linked to AUO - call it IPS now

Tftcentral review is looking good!
Ultra low input lag, best IPS-type response times by far - G2G average 5.9ms @144hz OD Normal Overshoot 0.3%

edit: here its officially posted:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

TFTCentral's monitor panel part database has the following to say about this panel:

Size: 27.0"WS

Manufacturer: AU Optronics

Technology: AHVA

Model: M270DAN02.3

Resolution: 2560x1440

Response Time: 12ms G2G

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1

Brightness: 350cd/m2

Viewing Angles: 178/178

Colour Depth: (unknown)

NTSC Colour Gamut: sRGB

Adobe RGB Coverage: (unknown)

sRGB Coverage: (unknown)

Backlight: W-LED

Notes: IPS-type, 144Hz

Manufacturing Year: 2014

For the rest, gotta wait for the review.

Back