Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

This seems very promissing! Although 1440p is a bit expensive for me to maintain good fps (being a GTX 760 user and all and would be satisfied with 1080p for now) but I might consider this one since it has G-Sync, IPS and 144Hz and light AG coating.... seems like a dream come true. :p

Now we need backlight uniformity/bleed and input lag tests and we know whether or not this is the gaming monitor most of us have been waiting for, for a very very long time.

There isn't another version of the XB270HU though. There's the XB270HU which is IPS 144hz with Gsync, and the XG270HU which is TN film 144hz with Freesync

Correct, and the TFTCentral update from 16 Feb is about the latter

ThIs thread is about the former

Correct, and the TFTCentral update from 16 Feb is about the latter

ThIs thread is about the former

Yep I know. I was correcting the person on the last page talking about a so-called TN Film Freesync version of the screen. I assumed they meant the XG model

Anyway...

Please only information about the XB270HU in this thread. No one cares about the other completely different TN model.

TFTCentral "i need a bit of time to test it all. I can tell you it's PWM free at all brightness settings, has a light AG coating, has ULMB mode, easily recognises and supports refresh rates including 60, 85, 100, 120, 144Hz. It has only a DisplayPort input and several USB ports. the OSD menu is pretty nice and works well, seems to have some good quick launch menu options too.

more once i've had chance to test it
"

Holy crap this is epic.

" No one cares about the other completely different TN model. " lol I care

I hope they UPDATED the OS menu. So far the TN is the same almost as older models and lacks so many features others have like Asus.. I know its two different company's yet may review sites say the same.

Anyway.. going to return my 270hu.. well LOVE G-SYNC yet love 3D more. The Asus 144 little older .. WOW screens are night and day. WAY to much color change on the Acer TN.

If ONE was going for G-SYNC.. I would NOT get a TN version

" No one cares about the other completely different TN model. " lol I care

I hope they UPDATED the OS menu. So far the TN is the same almost as older models and lacks so many features others have like Asus.. I know its two different company's yet may review sites say the same.

Anyway.. going to return my 270hu.. well LOVE G-SYNC yet love 3D more. The Asus 144 little older .. WOW screens are night and day. WAY to much color change on the Acer TN.

If ONE was going for G-SYNC.. I would NOT get a TN version

This thread is NOT for the TN version, please stop your shit.

good news -
TFTCentral "3 options for overdrive ('OD') control on the Acer XB270HU - Off, Normal and Extreme"

if the Normal preset is well balanced, everything should be fine
and I guess input lag is not going to be a problem, its a single input gaming screen - probably below 7ms lag
I'm sure TFTCentral posts the exact numbers on it soon

good news -
TFTCentral "3 options for overdrive ('OD') control on the Acer XB270HU - Off, Normal and Extreme"

if the Normal preset is well balanced, everything should be fine
and I guess input lag is not going to be a problem, its a single input gaming screen - probably below 7ms lag
I'm sure TFTCentral posts the exact numbers on it soon

I'm far more worried by actual pixel response times, and the affect on blur and ghosting

It wont be as fast as a 144hz TN to be sure and I expect there will be a slight degree of image doubling during strobed mode, like on the FG2421.
Because ULMB requires even faster G2G response times - http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777#p13222

But it is gonna be less blurry than the overclocked Korean IPS.
Also the AHVA panels appear to reach quite fast response times with proper overdrive, however the 144hz AHVA has the same 12ms G2G spec on panelook as the 60hz versions.

The GW2765HT on AMA Premium has very good response times for IPS-type, with 6% Overshoot average (edit: already a bit too much)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_gw2765ht/response_3.png

the weaker accelerated AMA High shows a slower dark transistion (like on most VA)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/benq_gw2765ht/response_2.png

Last edited:
I just hope Acer used better LED's than Asus so they can strobe brighter under ULMB mode than the dim-Swift.

Err, looks like full crap-matte to me:

-Image won't post for some reason-

Look's like I may have to start up my film removal line again.

Removed "Semi-gloss AR film" from OP.

Last edited:
What are peoples expectations of acer displays?

Does anybody know who made the display for the monitor? Is it LG?

This could finally replace my U2713HM

actually in that picture the glossy monitor is darker near the adjacent edges of the monitors

but i'd take matte bezels over glossy any day just cuz fingerprints.

Incorrect x2, try using an accurate monitor or cranking the brightness to reduce black crush. There's a huge difference.

It's so bad that it almost looks like the one with the black bezels has blb all over the screen, but in fact they both have similar black levels, with the glossy bezels monitor being only a bit brighter:
http://imgur.com/a/cJvUp

actually in that picture the glossy monitor is darker near the adjacent edges of the monitors

but i'd take matte bezels over glossy any day just cuz fingerprints.

It seems darker there because of the bright vertical line, basically that's how the grey bezels work.

Fix the black crush on your monitor and you will see the difference.

Last edited:
The picture consists of two photos put beside each other of the same monitor (semi-glossy Qnix QX2710) with a custom painted bezel and with the original glossy black bezel from my Crossover, which uses the same bezel and casing. The white bar on the right is the windows task bar, and the monitor brightness and camera settings are the same. Here's another picture of a monitor with the original glossy black bezel (left) and with he painted bezel.

Last edited:
Why not paint them white? It will have much better effect on the black levels. :D Who cares about looks.

It wont be as fast as a 144hz TN to be sure and I expect there will be a slight degree of image doubling during strobed mode, like on the FG2421.
Because ULMB requires even faster G2G response times - http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777#p13222

But it is gonna be less blurry than the overclocked Korean IPS.
My gut is telling me there's reason to be concerned. The monitor has been in hand for two days and there have been plenty of updates about relatively irrelevant factors compared to this one, since response time is the make or break point of the monitor.

I would be surprised if checking actual response time wasn't the first thing he did and we don't have a mere mention of it. He posted a page from the manual with the "specs" but, again, lacking pixel response time (not even claimed).

He says it's going to be a couple weeks before he will post the full review in order to be "thorough" but the closer the review lands on or after the official launch date the more skeptical I think we should be that there won't be good news on that front (and would tend to suggest that was part of the agreement for getting one now).

He needs to save something for full review - putting data on twitter won't pay for bills.

Jeez they've had it for 2 days and already people getting impatient. As said above, I'm sure they want to save some details for the review. Plus not doubt there's a lot to test if you look back at how detailed the Asus ROG Swift review was!!

It's so bad that it almost looks like the one with the black bezels has blb all over the screen, but in fact they both have similar black levels, with the glossy bezels monitor being only a bit brighter:
http://imgur.com/a/cJvUp

What are you talking about? If the argument is that glossy bezels ruin the perceived blacks, then I should be able to open the images in photoshop, cut away the bezel, and see the same exact black levels on each monitor. But guess what? They are different.

The photo you posted obviously has glow issues. If I cut and paste a section of the left monitor onto the same position on the right monitor, it is very obviously brighter.

YzLn13B.png

Last edited:
My gut is telling me there's reason to be concerned. The monitor has been in hand for two days and there have been plenty of updates about relatively irrelevant factors compared to this one, since response time is the make or break point of the monitor.

I would be surprised if checking actual response time wasn't the first thing he did and we don't have a mere mention of it. He posted a page from the manual with the "specs" but, again, lacking pixel response time (not even claimed).

He says it's going to be a couple weeks before he will post the full review in order to be "thorough" but the closer the review lands on or after the official launch date the more skeptical I think we should be that there won't be good news on that front (and would tend to suggest that was part of the agreement for getting one now).

More likely, if he posted that kind of info now, he knows nobody would read his article regardless of whether the news is good or bad.

Last edited:
Incorrect x2, try using an accurate monitor or cranking the brightness to reduce black crush. There's a huge difference.

quick levels adjustment in gimp
http://i.imgur.com/uNSXq1f.jpg

it's pretty obvious that the right areas of either monitor is darker than the left areas due to the lighting in your room when you took the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/yPp8XDv.jpg

It does actually seem like the left monitor has better blacks.
But on the photo with the bezels it looks completely opposite. What gives?

Well, my shitty TN laptop might not be well suited for this kind of comparisons after all :D

IIRC the bezel color thing has something to do with how bad our brain's at white balance or something.
Most know the trick but here: hide the middle with your finger;
2bznuu.jpg

Depending on the immediate color environment and lighting we either see different or same colors.
Don't know the science behind, it probably doesn't explain everything, there's the actual panel contrast performance of course, but that 'trick' certainly plays its part as well.

For instance on the first pic NCX posted, depending on the general area my eyes are focused on, also simply the position of my head, I see either the left or the right one showing the deepest black.

But on the second pic it seems obvious to me too that the monitor on the left shows a less black/consistent dark area to begin.
---------

EDIT: back on topic; I've just noticed only one DP port and that's it ?
Well it's understandable from a marketing perspective, but I would have appreciated at least one HDMI. Not being able to use devices other than my PC on it is a problem considering the price.

Last edited:
The Gsync modules would need a pass through for hdmi/dvi. Maybe next revision will do something like that.

EDIT: back on topic; I've just noticed only one DP port and that's it ?
Well it's understandable from a marketing perspective, but I would have appreciated at least one HDMI. Not being able to use devices other than my PC on it is a problem considering the price.
The only g-sync monitor I know of with hdmi and alternative inputs is the Benq XL2420G. They basically just slapped the g-sync module and display port on their XL2420Z monitor and created separate modes for each. On the other hand, I think most of the freesync monitors will have a full range of inputs. I know the Acer XG270HU was listed that way. There's also a Benq XL2730Z that mentions the VESA standard instead of g-sync or freesync and has multiple hdmi and other inputs. I don't know how long I'll have to wait, but I'd love an IPS g-sync 1440 monitor with multiple inputs so I can use it with more than one computer easily.

Back