Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

I expect $1999 in America. Really great price IMO compared to the PG32UQX especially when you consider all the .Edu/work discounts Samsung provides.

Can probably buy it for $1500 with discounts 3-4 months after release.

Expensive but not overpriced I'd say. If it doesn't have the issues the G9 series has suffered from then it should be pretty good.

That price of £1,039 before taxes in the UK has me worried. Why is it so cheap? That's like half the price of the Neo G9.

I wonder if it has a small amount of miniLED zones, as that price just isn't adding up.

*I did noticed the OcUK ad does state "# of Local dimming zones 1,196 (TBD)"

They must be ramping up the production to crazy high numbers to keep the price down or something.

Last edited:
Well based on the sales volume of the G7 and G9, it doesn't surprise me. Samsung will probably sell 10 G8's for every 1 PG32UQX.

Wait, how can a 240Hz 4K miniLED monitor be less expensive than a 144Hz 4K miniLED monitor? Can someone explain, please??

Last edited:
So this thing will be like $1500 in US right? Can't wait for Vega review then :)

I don't need this. I don't need this. I don't need this.
spongebob-squarepants-i-need-it.gif

You have a lot of time to decide since ETA June/July and will probably slip well beyond that.

Does anyone know whether this will be glossy or matte? And any estimates for when it'll be coming out?

I tried out the G7 and could not get used to the 1000R curve even after weeks of use. Gonna have to pass on the G8 despite the really tempting price. You guys enjoy.

How would the HDR performance on this compare to an OLED panel? I'm thinking of getting the Alienware QD-OLED but I prefer this form factor. HDR trumps all though.

If the G9 is anything to go by it will be mediocre by LCD standards when it comes to peak brightness. I'm hoping Samsung learned a thing or two from that monitor and this will actually achieve 1000nit highlights so we will have to wait for reviews.

EDIT: Also keep in mind the pathetic state the Neo G9 was for the first 2-3 months. It took numerous firmware updates to fix HDR and it hasn't received an update since early Nov last year. They literally gave up on fixing the remaining issues like HDR EOTF non compliance. Overall I'd be cautious with this monitor. If I do buy it's going to be some where with painless returns.

Last edited:
How would the HDR performance on this compare to an OLED panel? I'm thinking of getting the Alienware QD-OLED but I prefer this form factor. HDR trumps all though.

It doesn't. The Alienware will absolutely embarass this thing for HDR performance, 100% guaranteed.

If the G9 is anything to go by it will be mediocre by LCD standards when it comes to peak brightness. I'm hoping Samsung learned a thing or two from that monitor and this will actually achieve 1000nit highlights so we will have to wait for reviews.

EDIT: Also keep in mind the pathetic state the Neo G9 was for the first 2-3 months. It took numerous firmware updates to fix HDR and it hasn't received an update since early Nov last year. They literally gave up on fixing the remaining issues like HDR EOTF non compliance. Overall I'd be cautious with this monitor. If I do buy it's going to be some where with painless returns.

And that's also 100% true. Samsung's computer monitor division has an absolutely terrible track record. The G9 series in general has a been a nightmare and STILL has issues to this day that are not ok. Especially for how expensive they are.

And thats before getting into the absolute trash QC. Lots of people, just google it, have gone through dozens of returns for dead pixels, stuck pixels, light bleed etc. Some even having too give up as they never get a good panel that doesn't have a QC issue.

Agreed. The CRG9 I have has been largely troublefree, even if it has worse response times than I'd prefer and its HDR is absolute rubbish. So I was very surprised to see how the G9 had so many problems when on paper it seems like just an iteration on the CRG9.

Software in general is something Samsung does not do well. I had a KS8000 TV that had tons of issues with the SmartTV functionality. Even the CRG9 has plenty of quirks like slow startup, inconvenient PbP switching and more.

To me the display industry is so weird because as an end user you think making new displays would be an iterative process: take the software from your previous model, improve it for the next one. But instead it's almost like they start from scratch every time just because. So for all we know the G8 might end up being better just by having a different panel and software. But I would definitely recommend buying from a place with a good return policy.

On paper it seems very good (for an LCD). The 1000R curve is not something I really like on a monitor this size but maybe it works ok in person.

Agreed. The CRG9 I have has been largely troublefree, even if it has worse response times than I'd prefer and its HDR is absolute rubbish. So I was very surprised to see how the G9 had so many problems when on paper it seems like just an iteration on the CRG9.

Software in general is something Samsung does not do well. I had a KS8000 TV that had tons of issues with the SmartTV functionality. Even the CRG9 has plenty of quirks like slow startup, inconvenient PbP switching and more.

To me the display industry is so weird because as an end user you think making new displays would be an iterative process: take the software from your previous model, improve it for the next one. But instead it's almost like they start from scratch every time just because. So for all we know the G8 might end up being better just by having a different panel and software. But I would definitely recommend buying from a place with a good return policy.

On paper it seems very good (for an LCD). The 1000R curve is not something I really like on a monitor this size but maybe it works ok in person.

To be fair, the 1000R curve on the G7 looked fine to me for games. But I could not get over how distorted the desktop looked even after giving myself weeks to get used to it. I bought the G7 to see whether or not the 1000R curve would work out for me since the G8 also has the same curvature and unfortunately it ended up being a no go in the end.

Yeah I question Samsungs decision with the curve. I know they are attempting to compensate for the horrific viewing angles of their VA panels but it's over compensation and creates more issues than it solves (distortion, uniformity issues, etc).

Well when your out at 32:9 it makes sense to give it a curve. But I think the gentler 1800R was nicer than 1000R.

Well when your out at 32:9 it makes sense to give it a curve. But I think the gentler 1800R was nicer than 1000R.
For the super ultrawides the 1800R is not quite enough IMO so I think 1000R is appropriate for those. Not so much for 16:9 screens.

These monitors are showing up at B&H now.... does anyone know if there is any downside to getting the 240hz versus the 165hz? Like is the image quality/FALD response/etc the same between the two? Or is it legit ONLY a difference in refresh rate? Appreciate any info!

These monitors are showing up at B&H now.... does anyone know if there is any downside to getting the 240hz versus the 165hz? Like is the image quality/FALD response/etc the same between the two? Or is it legit ONLY a difference in refresh rate? Appreciate any info!

That's pretty hard to say without either monitor actually being out yet. At this point we are just guessing what the differences are going to be. If I had to guess I would say they are going to be identical apart from just the refresh rate since it wouldn't make any sense to develop 2 different panels.

What's better: G-Sync module at 144 or no module at 240?
Depends on you and how you perceive stutter/judder and if you have games/gpu that can actually push the higher refresh. Samsung panels are great but the biggest issue so far is how Samsung Electronics executes with said panels.

For example their 1440p G7 variants on paper are basically what you want for a pure gaming display. Issues that some perceive include black flickering when you are at a certain FPS (under 70fps). So Samsung released a firmware that fixed that issue but some could perceive "stutter"/Judder. I want the G8 to be great but their track record the last 3 years starting with G7, G9, Neo G9 have been somewhat iffy.
We won't know until we get them.

B&H price went up to $1499. Looks like MSRP has changed which sucks but it's still an okay deal.

First review in Chinese, auto-translated subtitles are ok but they go really fast so expect to want to pause. It's impressive that they also disassemble the monitor to evaluate the internals!

Overall this seems like a reasonably impressive display that is unique enough on the market. It's no OLED and at this size the curve seems a bit unnecessary but I think this might work well with a couple of these side by side. The price is probably the only issue as it's similar to LG C2 42" (at least if it's around 1499 euros) and the Dell AW. But it's not like we have too many 32" 4K high refresh rate options to choose from.

MacOS as always is just garbage again with 4K 60 Hz over HDMI as HDMI 2.1 is simply not supported by MacOS in any manner. At least it can do 120 Hz with this display if DP is used. The only problem is that there is only one DP port so this means you might have to swap cables or have a HDMI 2.1 GPU if you want to use both PC and MacOS with two computers like I do.

Wow 2600 nits at 10%. I think I'll have to try it.
Yeah hard to say if that's just a typo or measurement error. I guess it could go higher in that situation than at smaller windows because more LEDs are lit?

If it's really 2600 nits then RIP to the PG32UQX as all that monitor had going for it was 1600 nits.

Am I the only one who watched the video? As usual Samsung displays detect a test slide and give you spec sheet numbers but he measured highlights in real content and they never crossed 880nits just like the Neo G9.

Edit: also scanlines still present at 240hz.

Last edited:
Funny how Samsung loves to over brighten their QD-OLED and even Mini LED TV but dims the hell out of their Mini LED monitors.

Funny how Samsung loves to over brighten their QD-OLED and even Mini LED TV but dims the hell out of their Mini LED monitors.
Actually it's the same philosophy shared between their monitors and TV's. Here is the new QN90B:

QN90B.png

The new QN90B and it's predecessor measure 1000nits higher when the TV detects a test slide. They are trying so hard to suppress blooming that it kills what are amazing potential highlights (was for the sake of competing with LG OLED). Makes no sense now that they have their own OLED lineup.

Am I the only one who watched the video? As usual Samsung displays detect a test slide and give you spec sheet numbers but he measured highlights in real content and they never crossed 880nits just like the Neo G9.

Edit: also scanlines still present at 240hz.
So, garbago huh? Bummer.

I'm not sure I'd consider the G8 DOA after one super quick Chinese review.

It's a super extensive review though. Far more detailed than most and he even takes it apart to analyze what SoC is used for the local dimming/processing.

It's almost TFTCentral but in video form.

Back