odd bios behavor on older asrock mb

Autochthon

Limp Gawd
Having a strange issue with the bios on an older ASRock fatality z68 professional gen3
As I mentioned elsewhere I was trying to get secure boot to work and as a last try I switched back to an earlier bios.
After this flash I could no longer set cpu multiplier above 38x and xmp profiles disappeared.
I can set the multiplier above 38 but the value doesn't "stick". This cpu has run for over a decade at 43x and 1866 XMP.
Now it is stuck at 38x and 1333. Examining the the memory shows the xmp profile is there it is just no longer being read/recognized.
No other changes other than the bios flash. Switching back to the original bios makes no difference, neither does any other 5 bios versions I tried.
A real mystery to me as the computer works and all of other setting appear okay.
Well intel hd3000 video device is missing from bios also that is what kinda sent me down this rabbit hole ;/

I've tried multiple resets and different memory with no effect.

Anyone have an idea what to try next?

I had a similar problem with a z77 that's still in service as a backup, backup PC.

My issue is the CPU's memory controller just won't run at higher memory frequencies. It will still boost to 42 or 44x, I don't remember, but it used to run at 2,000 all day and now it just can't. It's not a timing or voltage issue. It's the memory controller.

I've had more problems with that overall generation of Intel CPUs than any others. They get too hot and start failing in all sorts of oddball ways.

You can try the OC tool and override the settings in Windows.

You can try the OC tool and override the settings in Windows.
I tried to overclock using CPU Tweaker as well as the built in ASRock utiity but both now show a max multi of 38. As best I recall it was 44x or 48x before the bios flash.
It is very peculiar that the table of potential values would just change without breaking everything. The flash updates seem to complete fine. It just that some functionality disappeared.

Do the settings come back with the previous BIOS?

Sorry, from how I read it it seemed like maybe you hadn't.

Have you tried pulling the battery, disconnecting the PSU, and draining the caps by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or so? Hard reset the BIOS?

Have you tried pulling the battery, disconnecting the PSU, and draining the caps by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or so? Hard reset the BIOS?
No worries.
The hard reset made no difference. But it was worth a try.

The hard reset made no difference.

So we're back to the hardware dictating what the software can accomplish. I have to believe this is a hardware problem, even if its some kind of baked-in failover situation.

It's time to start considering, at the very least, how much money you're willing to throw at solutions.

I doubt it's worth throwing money at. But unless the flash actually caused something to fail I'm still mystified as to what happened.

Back