Odd behavior in Windows 10 - mouse click stops responding

peppergomez

2[H]4U
Encountering odd behavior that is a new one to me. More and more often my laptop stops recognizing mouse clicks, both the right or left click. I thought it might be a USB issue so I unplugged all peripherals and just used the laptop track pad but the same thing happens. I can move the mouse pointer around but more and more often after a few minutes I can't click on anything.

I've run the Windows virus scan but it hasn't detected anything.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this short of reinstalling Windows which I'd prefer to do only as a last resort.

Possibly related to this is that I've also noticed recently that the Logitech mouse I use has become ridiculously sensitive in the left mouse click with it inputting 2 clicks for every click most of the time. I ran the Logitech G hub software but it doesn't recognize the mouse as being connected which is strange. None of the mouse settings in Windows have changed. This just started happening randomly out of the blue.

Can anyone suggest anything?

I'd guess it were a loose cable or hardware issue before I thought it was a software problem. You could always fire up a linux live USB and test the hardware. That would narrow it down.

I've been using the same mouse for several years now by replacing the switches every so often. When they start to go, often they'll make the mechanical click, but not make electrical contact. An unintentional double-click is a tale-sale sign of a bad tactile switch in the mouse.

This one's pretty common: EVQP0E07K https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/EVQ-P0E07K/286330

And this one's the other popular mouse switch: https://www.amazon.com/Switches-Replacement-DeathAdder-Basilisk-Ultimate/dp/B09N1CB29N

You can probably find less expensive options for either style. The larger one can be had in a dustproof variety at the cost of an ever so slightly higher input force. Just have to look for it. "Dustproof mouse switch" or something.

There's a little program called KeyoardStateView which can make it easier to diagnose input device issues.

rjd.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been using the same mouse for several years now by replacing the switches every so often. When they start to go, often they'll make the mechanical click, but not make electrical contact. An unintentional double-click is a tale-sale sign of a bad tactile switch in the mouse.

This one's pretty common: EVQP0E07K https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/EVQ-P0E07K/286330

And this one's the other popular mouse switch: https://www.amazon.com/Switches-Replacement-DeathAdder-Basilisk-Ultimate/dp/B09N1CB29N

You can probably find less expensive options for either style. The larger one can be had in a dustproof variety at the cost of an ever so slightly higher input force. Just have to look for it. "Dustproof mouse switch" or something.

There's a little program called KeyoardStateView which can make it easier to diagnose input device issues.

View attachment 509964
Thanks will check out as keyboardstateview app. I tested using a 2nd mouse and the laptop track pad and encounteredthe same issue, so I don't think it's a mouse issue. If it's hardware then I thinkmit would a USB issue? Though I also tested it using a different USB port.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I shamefully admit I might have skimmed that part of your original post.

So with out a separate PC to test your mouse, we can't be sure it's not having issues on its own. I really think the double-clicking is a bad switch. Can't speak to the ghub issue. A wired switch is like $7 at Best Buy, so not a bad backup option.

The USB controller could be failing, which would affect all input devices from the internal trackpad to any external. I would think that would affect the keyboard, webcam, external drives, ect..

Yeah, the KeyboardStateView shows input commands in real time, so it could be a tool. Or yeah, like the other user suggested just try something like this: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

Not being able to right or left click on the screen sounds like an invisible overlay is running, like a faulty program or malware.
Can you left click on the taskbar when this behavior happens?

And the Left Click issue is common with every Logitech mouse I have ever owned since the MX1000.
It will either double click or if you click and drag, it will unclick and re-click while you are holding the button down.
The double click issue is a real pain when you are using CTRL to individually select multiple files and then it double clicks and starts to open all of those files.

Thanks, this weekend I may just bite the bullet and do a full wipe OS reinstall, to rule out malware.

Thanks, this weekend I may just bite the bullet and do a full wipe OS reinstall, to rule out malware.

I did that after running into similar Bluetooth mouse problems and they persist. Basically, after 10 minutes of inaction, it goes into suspend mode and there's no way to wake it back up. The only thing to do is suspend my laptop by physically closing it, then it will all power back on correctly.

It's a pain. I'm positive it's a flaw baked into Windows 10.

It seems like it might be Chrome of all things that is causing this. I'm kind of a tab fiemd so I had about 150 or 200 tabs open spread across 2 windows. Anyway I have noticed that when I open Chrome within a few minutes if not sooner my entire desktop goes unresponsive and I can't close or open anything from the toolbar or anywhere else. But now that I'm not opening Chrome I'm not having any problems. Do you think there might be some sort of a bug or virus in Chrome?

I've used hundreds of tabs and Chrome and never experienced this before.

It seems like it might be Chrome of all things that is causing this. I'm kind of a tab fiemd so I had about 150 or 200 tabs open spread across 2 windows. Anyway I have noticed that when I open Chrome within a few minutes if not sooner my entire desktop goes unresponsive and I can't close or open anything from the toolbar or anywhere else. But now that I'm not opening Chrome I'm not having any problems. Do you think there might be some sort of a bug or virus in Chrome?

I've used hundreds of tabs and Chrome and never experienced this before.
Maybe a plug in. I use Edge with probably 100+ tabs on 2 windows and haven't come across your issue.

And speaking of tabs, I had a ton open in Firefox.
FireFox-7066-Tabs.jpg

that was the limit on my system, none of tabs wouldn't load anymore.

Do you have the issue in your bios has well ? (now that you have nice mouse enable GUI), if the laptop trackpad buttons have the same issue I doubt the mouse could be in fault(specially unplugged)

The double-clicking may be a hardware issue, but the unresponsive UI may be just that-- the interface hung because a system resource it needed was busy or all used up. Used to be more common when resources were more constrained-- just one or two cpu threads, <2GB RAM, small, slow HDDs, slow system bus/cache. It's less common now, but can still happen under extreme circumstances.

The double-clicking may be a hardware issue, but the unresponsive UI may be just that-- the interface hung because a system resource it needed was busy or all used up. Used to be more common when resources were more constrained-- just one or two cpu threads, <2GB RAM, small, slow HDDs, slow system bus/cache. It's less common now, but can still happen under extreme circumstances.
Any idea how to tell if thats the case? I am not running my computer especially hard. A bunch of Chrome tabs and a photo editing app is about the extent of it.

Any idea how to tell if thats the case? I am not running my computer especially hard. A bunch of Chrome tabs and a photo editing app is about the extent of it.
Depending on the photo editing app, that can use a lot of memory. Chrome with a bunch of tabs can as well. And I want to say chrome uses a lot of separate processes for tabs, but it might only have 8 or so loaded at a time, so that's probably not it.

I think the best way to check is to open up windows' resource monitor, or maybe the system log, not exactly sure if it would pop up there.

Back