Odd 6900 XT Thermal Behavior, need opinions

Skept1k

n00b
I have an extremely odd situation with my new AMD bought-and-made Reference 6900 XT. I'm a PC veteran of 20+ years, plentiful hardware/tuning experience with all brands, and I haven't seen anything like this since trying to tune my Vega 64, which was an odd animal itself. Hear me out.

The 6900 XT appears to overheat dramatically w/ junction temps to the point of system shutdown. At 1080P, junction temps sit around 70-90c in GPU-Z and the AMD Overlay, but at 1440P and 4K+, this bad boy jumps all the way to 114-118c (I haven't seen beyond this temp as GPU-Z/PC hard shuts down) Mind you, this is with the fans at 100%!, This is stock with no power tuning, no overclock on core or VRAM. We're talking totally vanilla apart from the fans. To combat this, I did run DDU, AMD fresh drivers, new Win10, etc. No dice. I have a 1000W EVGA G3 Gold power supply, 3600XT @4.5 w/ EKWB watercooling on the CPU, ASRock B550M mobo, and 8 120mm fans moving air all at 100% speed (idc about noise). My previous 2080 Super did not have these problems, so my other hardware is not the issue here I feel.

Here's the weird bit. Out of curiosity, I tried to undervolt to reduce temps on the card and play a game at 10K (10240x5760) Ultra settings (uses roughly 12GB VRAM) to stress it as much as possible. As of writing this and running Shadow Warrior 2 at the above resolution for an hour, the card now sips a max of 0.867 V + avg 0.837 V + a low of 0.819 V, draws a max of 206 W + avg 172 W + low of 151 W. With fans still at 100%, core temps now sit at max 59c + avg 55c, junction at 65c max + 61c avg. Clock speeds are 2177MHz max, 2090-2120 avg, with VRAM at 2138-2148MHz avg. All of these statistics were pulled from GPU-Z for accuracy. Additionally, I was getting about 19-24 frames in most games I tested this with at 10K res (SW2, Horizon 4, Stalker Anomaly).

While it would seem I solved my heat problem with the undervolt, I still feel like the card is a serious lemon when it draws power. I'm not experienced enough with the 6900 XT to know if this is a competent undervolt for the performance.

So, Would you guys consider this #1 a decent undervolt? And #2, should I keep it or RMA it? I've already sent an RMA request to AMD, but didn't discover this undervolt bug/potential until after the email. I just don't understand how going from a stock profile to a moderate undervolt literally halves my junction temps.

RMA it. I don't have problems like that with my 6900XT, and it seems like there is some other problem.

I have an extremely odd situation with my new AMD bought-and-made Reference 6900 XT. I'm a PC veteran of 20+ years, plentiful hardware/tuning experience with all brands, and I haven't seen anything like this since trying to tune my Vega 64, which was an odd animal itself. Hear me out.

The 6900 XT appears to overheat dramatically w/ junction temps to the point of system shutdown. At 1080P, junction temps sit around 70-90c in GPU-Z and the AMD Overlay, but at 1440P and 4K+, this bad boy jumps all the way to 114-118c (I haven't seen beyond this temp as GPU-Z/PC hard shuts down) Mind you, this is with the fans at 100%!, This is stock with no power tuning, no overclock on core or VRAM. We're talking totally vanilla apart from the fans. To combat this, I did run DDU, AMD fresh drivers, new Win10, etc. No dice. I have a 1000W EVGA G3 Gold power supply, 3600XT @4.5 w/ EKWB watercooling on the CPU, ASRock B550M mobo, and 8 120mm fans moving air all at 100% speed (idc about noise). My previous 2080 Super did not have these problems, so my other hardware is not the issue here I feel.

Here's the weird bit. Out of curiosity, I tried to undervolt to reduce temps on the card and play a game at 10K (10240x5760) Ultra settings (uses roughly 12GB VRAM) to stress it as much as possible. As of writing this and running Shadow Warrior 2 at the above resolution for an hour, the card now sips a max of 0.867 V + avg 0.837 V + a low of 0.819 V, draws a max of 206 W + avg 172 W + low of 151 W. With fans still at 100%, core temps now sit at max 59c + avg 55c, junction at 65c max + 61c avg. Clock speeds are 2177MHz max, 2090-2120 avg, with VRAM at 2138-2148MHz avg. All of these statistics were pulled from GPU-Z for accuracy. Additionally, I was getting about 19-24 frames in most games I tested this with at 10K res (SW2, Horizon 4, Stalker Anomaly).

While it would seem I solved my heat problem with the undervolt, I still feel like the card is a serious lemon when it draws power. I'm not experienced enough with the 6900 XT to know if this is a competent undervolt for the performance.

So, Would you guys consider this #1 a decent undervolt? And #2, should I keep it or RMA it? I've already sent an RMA request to AMD, but didn't discover this undervolt bug/potential until after the email. I just don't understand how going from a stock profile to a moderate undervolt literally halves my junction temps.

Re-paste and re-pad it. These things happen.
High junction temps can happen due to bad thermal paste spread or missing or improperly applied thermal pads. The junction temp is simply the hottest spot on the card, not just one thing.
Unfortunately you're going to have to do your own measurements to determine which pads work best and what thicknesses. I would suggest Gelid Extremes, but buy several thicknesses as different parts of the card may use different ones.
Thermal paste, Arctic MX-5, Kryonaut Extreme or Thermalright TFX all work well (just apply it full spread).

Re-paste and re-pad it. These things happen.
High junction temps can happen due to bad thermal paste spread or missing or improperly applied thermal pads. The junction temp is simply the hottest spot on the card, not just one thing.
Unfortunately you're going to have to do your own measurements to determine which pads work best and what thicknesses. I would suggest Gelid Extremes, but buy several thicknesses as different parts of the card may use different ones.
Thermal paste, Arctic MX-5, Kryonaut Extreme or Thermalright TFX all work well (just apply it full spread).
While I would normally repaste, the 6900 XT's to my knowledge use a special graphite pad, so coverage should be decent. I am aware of the purpose of the hotspot temp, as I had a Vega 64 with this measurement prior to my 2080. There's also an AMD warranty sticker over one of the screwholes on the GPU bracket, and while I normally wouldn't care about the warranty, this card seems to require one lol.

I think I'll RMA it ultimately

Waterblock it if you can. My sapphire 6900XT junction temp hit 112 once while gaming for awhile and I decided immediately it was gonna be water cooled from then on.

Waterblock it if you can. My sapphire 6900XT junction temp hit 112 once while gaming for awhile and I decided immediately it was gonna be water cooled from then on.
Damn! That's hot too. Problem in my case is it will reach those temps within 5 minutes of gaming if I don't undervolt.
I would waterblock it, but funds sadly don't allow it right now. However, once I get back my new 6900 XT from AMD, I absolutely intend to put it under an EKWB block just like my 3600XT

While I would normally repaste, the 6900 XT's to my knowledge use a special graphite pad, so coverage should be decent. I am aware of the purpose of the hotspot temp, as I had a Vega 64 with this measurement prior to my 2080. There's also an AMD warranty sticker over one of the screwholes on the GPU bracket, and while I normally wouldn't care about the warranty, this card seems to require one lol.

I think I'll RMA it ultimately
Just FYI this warranty void stickers are not enforceable in the United States, they keep them on US models because it’s cheaper to make one sku of the graphics card for worldwide sale

Damn! That's hot too. Problem in my case is it will reach those temps within 5 minutes of gaming if I don't undervolt.
I would waterblock it, but funds sadly don't allow it right now. However, once I get back my new 6900 XT from AMD, I absolutely intend to put it under an EKWB block just like my 3600XT
I would RMA that card. There are some issues with the build IMO. This is a reference card?

Back