Occasional POST failure - G.Skill NEO, Ryzen 3900X, Asus PRIME x570

I had a kit of V-Color RAM that would occasionally fail to post under DOCP. I figured it was just cheap RAM.

So, I got a kit of the 3600MHZ G.Skill stuff made specifically for X570. But... it still occasionally fails to post under DOCP. Did a couple seconds worth of searching and the comment I'm seeing consistently is to up the voltage.

The DOCP profile was 1.35V, and I've been upping it in 0.005v increments. At this point I'm up to 1.37V and it's still doing it.

How far am I towards the "ceiling" of DDR4? Am I increasing it by enough to make a stability difference? Might there be something else going on here?

Thanks in advance.

I had a kit of V-Color RAM that would occasionally fail to post under DOCP. I figured it was just cheap RAM.

So, I got a kit of the 3600MHZ G.Skill stuff made specifically for X570. But... it still occasionally fails to post under DOCP. Did a couple seconds worth of searching and the comment I'm seeing consistently is to up the voltage.

The DOCP profile was 1.35V, and I've been upping it in 0.005v increments. At this point I'm up to 1.37V and it's still doing it.

How far am I towards the "ceiling" of DDR4? Am I increasing it by enough to make a stability difference? Might there be something else going on here?
Don't trust Auto settings for the memory on any ASUS AMD motherboard unless you're just running stock JEDEC-only RAM on that system. ASUS, in its automatically-selected D.O.C.P. profile, applies an incorrect amount of VDDCR SOC voltage to the system. The numbers are way out of the expected 1.025V to 1.1V range. And neither the BIOS nor software displays the true VDDCR SOC voltage. You will need to manually set the VDDCR SOC voltage to around 1.05V with that DDR4-3600 kit.

what they said ^^. a bit more soc and ram voltage should get it stable. your ram can handle +10% no prob, i have mine at 1.4v and the soc at 1.075v.

Don't trust Auto settings for the memory on any ASUS AMD motherboard unless you're just running stock JEDEC-only RAM on that system. ASUS, in its automatically-selected D.O.C.P. profile, applies an incorrect amount of VDDCR SOC voltage to the system. The numbers are way out of the expected 1.025V to 1.1V range. And neither the BIOS nor software displays the true VDDCR SOC voltage. You will need to manually set the VDDCR SOC voltage to around 1.05V with that DDR4-3600 kit.

I only have experience with a single model of Asus AMD motherboard, the one in my sig which my son has the same board. We also have the same RAM. The DOCP profile works perfectly fine and it's stable but it set my VDDCR SOC voltage to 1.2. When I was trying to tighten the timings on the RAM I noticed even the most extreme RAM settings in Ryzen RAM calculator showed that voltage much lower so I looked into what a more normal voltage is. I ended up setting it to 1.000V if memory serves and everything was perfectly stable and worked fine even though I wasn't able to do tighten any timings. I did have a noticeable, positive effect from doing that. My CPU temps dropped by 3C-5C if I remember correctly.

I only have experience with the C7H in my sig. I set the DDR4 Boot Voltage to 1.35V to match the DOCP voltage on the main page. The DDR4 Boot Voltage setting is in one of the sub-menus. That said, it is possible that Asus did not put that setting into the Prime's BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

Is it a 32gb kit by chance? I had the same issue on my X570 Elite when going from 16gb to 32gb. 2x8 was perfectly fine. Both 4x8 and 2x16 would cause random post failures and bios resets. What fixed it for me was setting the SOC voltage to 1.15. HWI reads SVI2TFN at 1.13 on this setting and on auto it was 1.08. AMD recommends 1.1v for 1800/3600 , so I figured it was undervolted just enough to cause occasional boot issues.

Back