NVME vs sata III on old pcie2

Autochthon

Limp Gawd
So ... I'm uncertain what to make of this. I purchased a Sabrent rocket pcie 4.0 1Tb in hopes of using it as a new boot drive on a new build. I tested it by cloning my sys drive onto it and doing crystalmark tests comparing the 2. The scores are a bit of a puzzle. I had expected the nvme drive to be slightly faster despite being in a pcie3 slot using a sandybridge 2600k (limiting to pcie2) such was not the case.
Sabrent drive nvme: ignore the C:76% it should read something like E:60%
CrystalDiskMark_20201210150141.png

Samsung 840 pro sata3:
CrystalDiskMark_20201210150750.png

So anyone know what is going on?

Why are the pcie lanes so much slower than the sata3?

Last edited:

Looks like something wrong with your 840 Pro benchmark. The SATA 3 interface is only physically capable of 600MB/sec, so it was obviously NOT reading or writing 4500+ MB/sec over the SATA3 interface. Perhaps the benchmark data was cached by RAM?

Here is a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe (PCIe 3.0) drive, which is an upgrade over an 840 Pro in every way:
960Pro.png

Here is a Samsung 850 Pro SATA3 drive, also a direct upgrade over an 840 Pro SATA3 drive:
850prom.png

I would expect the "correct" results to somewhat resemble that benchmark from the 850 Pro, since the 850 Pro is only one generation newer. You can clearly see the drive hitting the limits of the SATA3 interface.

Last edited:
So ... I'm uncertain what to make of this. I purchased a Sabrent rocket pcie 4.0 1Tb in hopes of using it as a new boot drive on a new build. I tested it by cloning my sys drive onto it and doing crystalmark tests comparing the 2. The scores are a bit of a puzzle. I had expected the nvme drive to be slightly faster despite being in a pcie3 slot using a sandybridge 2600k (limiting to pcie2) such was not the case.
Sabrent drive nvme: ignore the C:76% it should read something like E:60%
View attachment 308022

Samsung 840 pro sata3:
View attachment 308023

So anyone know what is going on?

Sounds like you have Rapid mode turned on with that SATA Samsung SSD. Rapid mode artificially inflates the performance scores by caching part of the data into RAM. If you turned off Rapid mode, your sequential read and write speed will be closer to what GotNoRice achieved.

You see, the 6-series Intel chipsets except the budget H61 chipset natively support SATA 6.0 Gbps on two of the SATA ports (the others run at only SATA 3.0 Gbps speed).

Sounds like you have Rapid mode turned on with that SATA Samsung SSD. Rapid mode artificially inflates the performance scores by caching part of the data into RAM. If you turned off Rapid mode, your sequential read and write speed will be closer to what GotNoRice achieved.

You nailed it. Rapid mode was activated.

Back