NVidia YT: What’s Jensen been cooking? (World's Largest GPU)

You know with bigger, and more demanding gpu's. The power draw did make me think of ovens, and refrigerators. It make my think of their power sockets. The power socket for a refrigerator is 240V's I believe compared to the standard wall socket of 120V's in america. I was wondering if people would start taking out their ovens, and refrigerators to plug in gpus for bitcoin, and gaming...

You know with bigger, and more demanding gpu's. The power draw did make me think of ovens, and refrigerators. It make my think of their power sockets. The power socket for a refrigerator is 240V's I believe compared to the standard wall socket of 120V's in america. I was wondering if people would start taking out their ovens, and refrigerators to plug in gpus for bitcoin, and gaming...

People 100% ran 240 sockets for Bitcoin mining. I don't think they removed their appliances, but you never know.

Jensen shows off new datacenter GPU product, likely GTC will heavily feature this:

He used his bare hand to push the rack back in the oven. I don't believe that has been cooking at all!

Looks like a new DGX. The more you buy, the more you save. Throw away those expensive, inefficient server farms.

sad, bad solder balls :(

I've got a G70 M (nVidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX) that suffers from that bad mix!

Yeah, this can happen to almost any 7xxx through 9xxx GPU. The way Nvidia completely failed to take any responsibility for it makes me angry to this day.

Funny story though. When Did Meier's Civilization V launched in 2010, the 2k forums was overrun with people accusing the game of ruining their 9800 GT, because it was the first time it had been stressed that hard. They refused to believe that Nvidias Hardware could be to blame, or that rendering can't really ruin an otherwise good GPU. That's what they are designed for.

Side note, you are sti running a 7800 in 2020 😲

Those came out in 2005!

Yeah, this can happen to almost any 7xxx through 9xxx GPU. The way Nvidia completely failed to take any responsibility for it makes me angry to this day.

Funny story though. When Did Meier's Civilization V launched in 2010, the 2k forums was overrun with people accusing the game of ruining their 9800 GT, because it was the first time it had been stressed that hard. They refused to believe that Nvidias Hardware could be to blame, or that rendering can't really ruin an otherwise good GPU. That's what they are designed for.

Side note, you are sti running a 7800 in 2020 😲

Those came out in 2005!

it can run Fallout 3 and Oblivion!

I hope to get a replacement soon for my 2nd faulty board.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-XPS-M170-Inspiron-9300-GeForce-GO-7800-GTX-256MB-Video-Card-HF594-NEW/252947275654?epid=895741381&hash=item3ae4d51f86:g:JbcAAOSwDiBZHyV6&LH_BIN=1

I baked the 2nd and 1st, but the "repair" only lasted so long

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I've never seen a 240v residential refrigerator, but I have seen people tap into their 30a dryer outlet for more power.

People 100% ran 240 sockets for Bitcoin mining. I don't think they removed their appliances, but you never know.

Hell I need to run a 240 just because I'm putting a lot of shit on a 20a 120v without any mining. My computer's PSU alone require it's own 20a branch, nevermind the three monitors, a 200w work laptop, TV, consoles, and a test bench. :D

Hell I need to run a 240 just because I'm putting a lot of shit on a 20a 120v without any mining. My computer's PSU alone require it's own 20a branch, nevermind the three monitors, a 200w work laptop, TV, consoles, and a test bench. :D

I had to run a dedicated circuit for my render box. I spent a bunch of time debating whether or not to go 220. 220 is not without its headaches, as even though PSUs are basically all auto switching, you still have to deal with smaller annoying stuff like sourcing and/or making cables to go from dryer plug to PSU receptacle. In the end, I decided that I'm very unlikely to have a single machine pull more than the ~1600W that a top end PSU can supply (when maxed out). The only reason I would go higher is by just adding another computer, and that one can then go on its own circuit. Thus, I had the electrician run four 110V/20A circuits to give me the right amount of extra capacity should I need it.

I had to run a dedicated circuit for my render box. I spent a bunch of time debating whether or not to go 220. 220 is not without its headaches, as even though PSUs are basically all auto switching, you still have to deal with smaller annoying stuff like sourcing and/or making cables to go from dryer plug to PSU receptacle. In the end, I decided that I'm very unlikely to have a single machine pull more than the ~1600W that a top end PSU can supply (when maxed out). The only reason I would go higher is by just adding another computer, and that one can then go on its own circuit. Thus, I had the electrician run four 110V/20A circuits to give me the right amount of extra capacity should I need it.
PSUs are more efficient at 240 than 120, so there’s a benefit there. But you do have to make sure everything you’re plugging in is rated for 240v, so that might be a pain.

If you did decide to run new 240v circuits though, you’d probably use more appropriate NEMA 6 or L6 outlets, which you can find cords for all day long.

PSUs are more efficient at 240 than 120, so there’s a benefit there. But you do have to make sure everything you’re plugging in is rated for 240v, so that might be a pain.

If you did decide to run new 240v circuits though, you’d probably use more appropriate NEMA 6 or L6 outlets, which you can find cords for all day long.

It is true that they're more efficient at higher input voltage, especially at these loads, but even then, the difference is only a couple of percent or so.

I only did a fairly quick look when I was making my decision, but I found the selection of cords that went from 4-pin dryer plug to the various different PSU input plugs to be pretty limited. It's not that hard to make custom cords for this, but it is kind of annoying to have to make a cord every single time. I also have a remarkable ability to accidentally set things on fire. Heh.

I think if I were going to be consistently running 2kW loads for extended periods, then 220 would have been the right call. For my use case, this machine is going to top out at 1.6kW, so, for me, the annoyances don't overcome the small benefit of efficiency. I'll probably regret this when the Titan Ampere turns out to be a 500W card.

Back