Nvidia "unlaunches" the 4080 12GB

This is correct. Didn't stop Nvidia from claiming they're the same just like 3080 10/12gb.
Except the 3080 10GB and 3080 12GB actually did use the same die.

In fact, the 3080 Ti, 3090, and 3090 Ti all use the same die as the 3080. Nvidia just bins and lasers off functional units as needed.

It is a Coke vs. New Coke kinda thing.
Do we all believe Nvidia is that poorly run?
Restructuring it will leave buyers @799 screaming "buy of the century" !!!
Everyone wants one now

Everyone wants one now

I don't want one, I still have a $500 price cap on any GPU's that I buy. There are still much better GPU bargains out there right now, mostly in the used market for high-end 30X0 cards.

Everyone wants one now
No thanks Im good. You have fun in the rat race. Never been the type anyway.

Everyone wants one now
The only card that I would be remotely interested in is a 4090ti but I will more then likely sit out for a 5090/ti. Nvidia is not a poorly run company. They know they have people and AiBs by the balls and they won't let go. People keep screaming vote with your wallet and claim they won't be buying. Yet they always sell out. People are even lining up at MC again this morning for 4090s. Eventually Nvidia will back off a bit once the outrage goes nuclear and throws us a bone to quite us down. Then rinse and repeat.

The only card that I would be remotely interested in is a 4090ti but I will more then likely sit out for a 5090/ti. Nvidia is not a poorly run company. They know they have people and AiBs by the balls and they won't let go. People keep screaming vote with your wallet and claim they won't be buying. Yet they always sell out. People are even lining up at MC again this morning for 4090s. Eventually Nvidia will back off a bit once the outrage goes nuclear and throws us a bone to quite us down. Then rinse and repeat.
Some do. I'm personally waiting for their inventory clearing premium to go away. If it doesn't, it's likely I won't buy at all.

I don't know that they would have. That's why it's being pulled and rebranded. It probably would have ended up in a lot of OEM computers.
I suspect cards would have sold at their price wherever they ended up. I would have expected it, given the prices people were still willing to over-pay in the last two years. This was nvidia testing the limits of what consumers would tolerate. The 4080 cards are over priced, and the 12GB price was like putting go-fast stripes on a 4070* to make the higher prices seem more justified/palatable. But alas, they are a public corporation, the investor return is primary in that way.

As for why they changed it, we can only speculate until performance reviews come out. Maybe it was the public blow-back (i doubt it though - not NVidia's way), maybe some competitive intelligence that needed a change strategy, maybe a market flood of 3000 series cards (and Radeon cards) or a combo of all. To me, its a hand in the cookie jar situation. *shrug*

My moneys on them renaming it to the 4080Ti and confusing people even more.

In all seriousness, I think they pulled it not because of the name or the community. I think they probably got information on the RX 7800 and the 12-GB 4080 wasn't competitive.
I suspect it is this combined with the fact they don't want it competing with existing 3090 and 3090 Ti stock they are still trying to unload in that same price bracket around $1k.

In the end, Nvidia knows what they are doing and Nvidia is the one winning here. They might rename it to the 4070 or 4070 Ti, but I doubt it's going to sell for $499. So in the end, they'll still get their price increase and it'll be called "a win for gamers" still by the tech press and community at large.

Did anyone notice with their "unlaunch" (inventing words Nvidia?) they also gave themselves a circlejerk around the 4090 launch and how great the 4080 launch will be. Come on Nvidia. If you are going to say you screwed up don't in the same breath then go into self-congratulatory circlejerking.

Last edited:
No more 4080 16gb numbers either in new marketing material has well:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/november-2022-rtx-dlss-game-updates/
-rtx-3840x2160-nvidia-dlss-desktop-gpu-performance.png

While the 4080 card was mentioned in the first paragraph and the release is in just weeks with the card having shown up on the newegg website.

Could be obviously way overreading it, but maybe:
1) The numbers does not look particularly good
2) Lot of last minute drivers fixing, last touch, etc.. notably on the DLSS 3 affair

Last edited:
I bet Nvidia wishes they could unlaunch the 4080-16gb as well now.

I bet Nvidia wishes they could unlaunch the 4080-16gb as well now.
The benchmarks will certainly be interesting, but it sounds like the 7900 XTX is absolutely going to murder the 4080 16GB for $200 less.

They better kick it out the door quick then, take advantage of the FOMO crowd who didn't get a 4090.
It's launching in 1.5 weeks, if I remember correctly. NVIDIA let the date slip in their announcement for unlaunching the 12GB model.

It wouldn’t be DIY, they would change them officially before launch.

I have a feeling there are a lot of these already boxed, palletized, and ready to ship. Little late for a last second firmware update that isn't for the end user.

I have a feeling there are a lot of these already boxed, palletized, and ready to ship. Little late for a last second firmware update that isn't for the end user.
If they can unlaunch a card they can certainly unbox them as well.

The performance of this thing sees more akin to a 3060 or 3060 ti, hasn't nvidia's thing been the 70 series card matching last gen's top tier card? There's no way this has the same raw performance as a 3090 ti, probably not a 3090 either.

The performance of this thing sees more akin to a 3060 or 3060 ti, hasn't nvidia's thing been the 70 series card matching last gen's top tier card? There's no way this has the same raw performance as a 3090 ti, probably not a 3090 either.
According to leak and Nvidia numbers it would be quite close in between the 3080Ti12 and the 3090TI:

https://videocardz.com/newz/unlaunc...s-places-with-3090-ti-in-alleged-3dmark-tests
https://images.hothardware.com/cont...ntent/small_nvidia-performance-comparison.jpg
https://crast.net/179430/nvidia-sha...-the-rtx-4080-gpu-testing-it-with-some-games/

Has for the 70 beating last gen top tier card, I think the 2070 was behind the 1080Ti significantly, (not that it was a good generation in that regard, so there a precent for Nvidia doing this, specially with how high they push halo card price wise it could become the norm for them to compete very well with the next generation xx70)

Last edited:
According to leak and Nvidia numbers it would be quite close in between the 3080Ti12 and the 3090TI:

https://videocardz.com/newz/unlaunc...s-places-with-3090-ti-in-alleged-3dmark-tests
https://images.hothardware.com/cont...ntent/small_nvidia-performance-comparison.jpg
https://crast.net/179430/nvidia-sha...-the-rtx-4080-gpu-testing-it-with-some-games/

Has for the 70 beating last gen top tier card, I think the 2070 was behind the 1080Ti significantly, (not that it was a good generation in that regard, so there a precent for Nvidia doing this, specially with how high they push halo card price wise it could become the norm for them to compete very well with the next generation xx70)
Not beating, matching. I was thinking about the 3070 matching the 2080 Ti. I guess this thing does just about match the 3080 ti, so if it's a 70 series and doesn't cost 900 dollars it might be a decent card.

lol...

What?

Edit: Oh... :D Just got it...

Wow, I thought everyone under the sun had seen Pulp Fiction. :D It's a paraphrase from a well-known scene in the movie. ;) (Samuel L Jackson)

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, yeah...I was quoting the movie.

I didn't catch it at first, and then saw subsequent posts that seemed like they didn't recognize it. :D Your response was actually funnier than mine. :D

Edit: English motherfucker! Do you READ IT?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back