NVIDIA To Cut RTX 2060 Supply This Month

is the 2060 on same node as the 3000 series? wouldnt they also need to buy more space from tsmc to even psuh more out?

is the 2060 on same node as the 3000 series? wouldnt they also need to buy more space from tsmc to even psuh more out?
If they’re limited by something other than the chip itself, could free up some sub components or even physical pick and place machines if the bottleneck is assembly line time.

ahhh ok i thought TSMC was doing literally all the gpus,apu's for consoles, this should be good news, just done with 2020-2021 already these shortages are killing it regular consumers/hobby builders.

No, it isn't. NV 2xxx and 16xx chips were/are on 12nm TSMC, 3xxx is on Samsung 8nm. A big part of why NV resurrected older chips/cards is because they could be made on an older process.

Huang: That second question, I actually don’t know the answer. I can’t tell you that I know the future. There’s a reason why we reduced hash rates. We want to steer. We want to protect the GeForce supply for gamers. Meanwhile, we created CMP for the crypto community. The combination of the two will make it possible for the price of GeForce to come down to more affordable levels. All of our gamers that want to have RTX can get access to it.

Interesting interview.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/06/12/...chain-chip-shortage-arm-deal-and-competition/

Huang: That second question, I actually don’t know the answer. I can’t tell you that I know the future. There’s a reason why we reduced hash rates. We want to steer. We want to protect the GeForce supply for gamers. Meanwhile, we created CMP for the crypto community. The combination of the two will make it possible for the price of GeForce to come down to more affordable levels. All of our gamers that want to have RTX can get access to it.

Interesting interview.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/06/12/...chain-chip-shortage-arm-deal-and-competition/
"All of our gamers that want to have RTX can get access to it" - Really, lol, the restricted hashrate 3060 has been out for awhile - where are those? 3070 Ti? 3080 Ti?

The idea or thought that hey I will have more gaming GPUs available for gamers by committing resources and taking away gaming GPUs and putting them into cards that you will never be able to game on is going to make gamers have more gaming GPUs is pure fantasy. If those gaming GPUs were put into gaming cards, even if used for mining, many would become available for gamers on the second hand market, not now. Also ways could be developed to sell gaming cards to gamers, for example using Steam as a via or some other platform to sell cards to gamers which could for example get discounts on game hours, proof of play so to speak.

As for the interview, much fantasy seems to be driving Huang, some would call it visionary. Sad not much was expressed for open standards, cooperative managed/controlled progress.

[ .... ]

Sad not much was expressed for open standards, cooperative managed/controlled progress.

In tech industries in general, the market leaders often ignore standards. And why not? Standards make it easier for weak or new competitors to gain market share at the expense of that market leader. Fortunately the Open Source movement is still gaining more corporate support.

Reactions: noko
like this
ahhh ok i thought TSMC was doing literally all the gpus,apu's for consoles, this should be good news, just done with 2020-2021 already these shortages are killing it regular consumers/hobby builders.
TSMC is doing all of AMD's Zen 2 and 3 CPUs, their new GPUs, and the CPU/GPU for the new consoles.

In tech industries in general, the market leaders often ignore standards. And why not? Standards make it easier for weak or new competitors to gain market share at the expense of that market leader. Fortunately the Open Source movement is still gaining more corporate support.
Corporate World to be competitive have to flexible, if you tie up your expenses with fixed licensing that has to go with the hardware and then get stuck in a fix hardware eco-system I would say you become beholden to the task master software and hardware releases. Open standards allow flexibility in different hardware platforms and software that another company could do better or in house expertise built independent and not dependent from outside sources. Giving one a competitive advantage. It may become really interesting how Nvidia will spin ARM once they own it and how things may change. It does not seem in Nvidia nature to give freely anything unless it ultimately gives them more.

Steam Play hours isn't proof of play. The hours can be mined on the mining rigs miners are already using. Idling in an open game will rack your play hours up.

I think as a practical matter it would be very hard for Nvidia or AMD to control who gets to buy their GPUs, as long as their business model is to sell through AIB companies and resellers. Aside from lip service, I'm not convinced that either company really cares a whole lot. I know that sounds cynical, but ...

well when anyone rnadom joe can become a reseller and buy in bulk from a distributer there is no hope. if i had 100k-300k to play with i could "become" a company buy pallets of gpus very easily, flaws in this are boiled down to human error, we made it its flawed.

well when anyone rnadom joe can become a reseller and buy in bulk from a distributer there is no hope. if i had 100k-300k to play with i could "become" a company buy pallets of gpus very easily, flaws in this are boiled down to human error, we made it its flawed.
Sometimes I have to work real hard to retain any hope that sometime in 2022 I'll be able to buy a 3060 Ti, or maybe it's going to be a 4060 Ti.

Last edited:
I had assumed Nvidia had already stopped producing the 2000 series. Odd.

Back