Nvidia Shield + Plex Issues

Shadowarez

Gawd
ok im sure this may have been asked 1 million+ times already but has anyone got folder view to work and continue to work for more then a week with this combo? here is my current setup.

1. Qnap TS-419 Pro (Maxed Ram) 4x16TB Drives
2. Nvidia Shield OG + 2017 release

cant tell if this is just plex being a complete pile of $ht for the nvidia shield app, or android. it works fine when i use my htpc folder view is there and doesn't vanish randomly.

iv looked and tried differnt versions even going to stock version on the shields, but that doesnt last, soon as it auto updates that option is gone, can only see the entire lib all 23000+ vids. iv been using kodi it works but id like the playback feature and streaming option, i do have the plex pass Lifetime as well,

Are you using the Shield as a server or just as a player?

I don't have any experience trying to use the Shield itself as a server. However the main device that I use Plex on is also a 2017 nvidia shield.

However I've noticed that for certaint types of media (mostly x.265 4k) for whatever reason the plex app doesn't like direct play, even when forced, so its easier to just use Kodi + Plex plugin as a player.

I also haven't used "folder view" in ages, I prefer the way that i have my libraries setup without it. I'll give it a try on my sheild when I get home tonight to see if mine exhibits the same behavior.

The Plex app is just shit. Plex is trying to reinvent itself to be a media app like Netflix/Hulu/etc. as opposed to something that lets you host your own content so that it can avoid the stigma of just allowing pirates to stream their own videos. Even searching your own videos isn't as straightforward as it should be.

The Plex app is just shit. Plex is trying to reinvent itself to be a media app like Netflix/Hulu/etc. as opposed to something that lets you host your own content so that it can avoid the stigma of just allowing pirates to stream their own videos. Even searching your own videos isn't as straightforward as it should be.
You just type or talk in the search bar when looking for your own media. I'm not sure how that could be any more straightforward. I use it multiple times a day. Or you go to library view and scroll.

Hell with the Shield I just use audio search on the main OS menu and it'll tell me if I have something available on my Plex server alongside every other source.

I also just removed all the plex free media from my main page and it doesn't show up again, takes like 5 seconds. My only issue Is crazy high bitrate files and I'm 99% sure the problem involves transcoding raw 7.1 audio to a different format, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'll keep trying seems it's more the Android app I have a ocd for sorting my media in neat easy to nav folders but Plex likes to just vomit it all into a big mess no way of sorting that makes sense I'll try the Kodi-plex plugin again.

Emby may do what you want. I dont remember them being vastly different, but I havent used Emby in years.

ill have to try that i mean i have Kodi it works only thing it doesnt have is the resume if watchin on different tvs.

so until i update my Nas that isnt a old outdated qnap i cannot run emby lol, ill just have to live with kodi and knowing i spent $145 Cad on plex when i cant use it on any android boxes (Nvidia Shield) maybe it'll work if i replace the shields with low power nucs instead since android plex is stagnet and dead.

I think its more that you have a particularly unique setup that it considers outdated. I use plex on my shield constantly (hell, i'm using it right now) and its updated regularly and doesn't cause me any issues.

I haven't tried to use a "folder view" in years though. My media isn't set up that way. The main reason I use plex is to completely avoid a "folder view."

interesting ok so what view are you using with folders with say 400+ movies in them. im trying to keep these in own folders for easier viewing for family when they come over they can nav to them far easier as they are not tech savvy.

My two movie folders (Animation and Movies, split purely because the latter takes an entire 8TB hard drive by itself) are literally single folders with hundreds of files just arranged by file name. I just make sure the file names are good enough that the Plex movie database catches them.
If the subs are a seperate file, just make sure they mirror the original file name exactly.

I usually just search for movies instead of scrolling, but it's all just... There and easily browsable by any number of metrics.

Putting the year after the movie title made recognition way easier for me, so most of my movies are named something like "star wars a new hope (1977)"

My television shows took a bit longer to get correct, but I do have plex recognize all the episodes correctly according to TVDB. It required a fair bit of time getting used to the naming convention, especially for longer running shoes with lots of specials (Dr. Who 😒) but once you get everything named once it'll automatically be picked up again if you ever need to rebuild your database for any reason.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-203559.png
    Screenshot_20201204-203559.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 0
Back