Nvidia RTX 4090 power connectors melting?

Any 12VHPWR connector can overheat with a high enough power draw and improper seating. By now most new cards that use the 12x6+4 connector should be shipping with the 12V-2x6 connector rather than the 12VHPWR, especially nVidia ones. It is possible some AIBs would try to use up their existing stock of 12VHPWR connectors before switching to the 12V-2x6 connector.

Nvidia doesn't ship AIB's the cards with the connector already attached?

Nvidia doesn’t ship cards, it’s a small brown box with a series of chips in small plastic cases.
Nvidia supplies their AIB’s with the diagrams and PCB layout information they can easily import to their software. But Nvidia only sources and ships components custom or specific to their cards so AIB’s don’t have to pay markups for small quantities of required components.
Nvidia themselves can get a better rate on things like VRM’s and Memory than the AIB’s can simply because Nvidia knows exactly how many they need.

Note: it’s been a while since I’ve seen one of their boxes, they may have switched to some more environmentally friendly packaging.

Who is actually manufacturing the connectors?
On top of that who is making the octopus adapters that come with every card?

So I think the 4080 super cards are introducing the next attempted solution to this issue, which is recessed power connectors with notches taken out of the heatsinks (and also backplates depending on the card/vendor). All the gigabye 4080 supers do this in one way or another. IT eliminates the need to a harsh bend near the connector to be able to clear case sides, and in many cases means you can't put the bend near the connector. I think it's a solid design choice as it is assuring you have room for the recommended/required radius bend within the footprint of the card itself.

1707512581907.png

Why would they? It's not like the power connector is directly connected to the chip. AIBs are free to implement their own PCB design should they so choose to, which they often do usually for beefier overclocking capabilities.
So I think the 4080 super cards are introducing the next attempted solution to this issue, which is recessed power connectors with notches taken out of the heatsinks (and also backplates depending on the card/vendor). All the gigabye 4080 supers do this in one way or another. IT eliminates the need to a harsh bend near the connector to be able to clear case sides, and in many cases means you can't put the bend near the connector. I think it's a solid design choice as it is assuring you have room for the recommended/required radius bend within the footprint of the card itself.

View attachment 633860
Doubtful, at least in the pic you provided. The heatsink is much taller than the PCB (note where the L of the bracket is in relation to the heatsink), so that cutout is needed by design.

Why would they? It's not like the power connector is directly connected to the chip. AIBs are free to implement their own PCB design should they so choose to, which they often do usually for beefier overclocking capabilities.

Doubtful, at least in the pic you provided. The heatsink is much taller than the PCB (note where the L of the bracket is in relation to the heatsink), so that cutout is needed by design.

I think the idea is the other way around. The recess forces the first few inches of the cable to be roughly strait, then it gets a really hard bend far enough away from the plug that it's not putting significant torque on the wires going into the connector.

I think the idea is the other way around. The recess forces the first few inches of the cable to be roughly strait, then it gets a really hard bend far enough away from the plug that it's not putting significant torque on the wires going into the connector.
I think you missed the point. The recess is forced to be there by design because the PCB is much smaller than the heatsink. The PCB is standard height and short; note the relation of where the notch is to the L bracket and the passthrough section of the heatsink. In fact, all of Gigabyte's RTX 4080 Super cards have heatsinks that are much larger than the PCB so a recess is needed no matter what.

Now, if you tell me that they are specifically designing the PCB with a recessed notch for the power connector, I can believe they are putting special thought into it. In this case, it seems more like the recess is a beneficial side effect of utilizing a heatsink that's much bigger than the PCB rather than designing the PCB/heatsink specifically to have the recess.

Some details from the CableMods recall.
The cables are known to be responsible for around $75,000 in damages. And at least 272 of them have melted down, CableMods may be voluntarily recalling them,

The CPSC is recommending they be destroyed.
And CableMods has uploaded a video of how to do it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PsmiP7O_Jc

That's a kinda stupid thing to do. If you're not worried about someone digging through your trash to steal electronics just throw it away as is. If you are worried about that you should make sure that the idiot can't try to use it at all. In that case, I recommend the 2 pliers technique to break it in half.

That's a kinda stupid thing to do. If you're not worried about someone digging through your trash to steal electronics just throw it away as is. If you are worried about that you should make sure that the idiot can't try to use it at all. In that case, I recommend the 2 pliers technique to break it in half.
The CPSC is calling for their destruction, and it is part of the recall process, instead of paying to mail these things around they are asking for photographic proof that you have destroyed the adapter and they will issue your refund once they have it.

The CPSC is calling for their destruction, and it is part of the recall process, instead of paying to mail these things around they are asking for photographic proof that you have destroyed the adapter and they will issue your refund once they have it.
My point is that's a really half-assed destruction. Some idiot could still try to use it. Hopefully it'd trip a fault sensor and power the system down instead of igniting.

My point is that's a really half-assed destruction. Some idiot could still try to use it. Hopefully it'd trip a fault sensor and power the system down instead of igniting.
It just has to be done at a reasonable level that someone couldn't just grab it and use and create the same problem. Most returns ive had to do which required destruction was cutting a power cord off, which yes you could just wire one in but simple destruction checks the box. Meaning someone has to put forth effort beyond the original device condition to make it work, then that is on them if there is a failure because you have modified it.

cablemod must have really screwed this up, even cpsc isnt involved with the stock cards yet.

...I recommend the 2 pliers technique to break it in half.
You can't, the adapter is solid aluminum save for a 2mm circuit board plus some thermal pad material. It's way too thick to try that. You would fail, slip, and likely injure yourself. The above is good enough plus safe to perform.

I took mine apart after I took the picture for Cablemod and found that it was just a circuit board with 14mm (~1/2") of aluminum somewhat acting as a heatsink. You aren't breaking that shit with pliers.

20240212_Cablemod_90B.jpg

It's a full 10mm thick solid aluminum (at the thinnest point), the carved out area is just enough to sit the circuit board in plus some non-conductive thermal pad material.

Obviously the destruction directions had to be able to be safely performed by anyone.

Last edited:
Back