NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Reviews

It's a Microcenter promotion, which virtually no one has one near them, and is an independent retailer, not Nvidia doing the promotion. They're giving away Ddr5 with amd cpus too as their own promo, that doesn't mean those aren't selling well either.
Actually, the reason for the DDR5 deal with AMD was because of poor sales. Motherboard + DDR5 prices (At the time of release) and other factors made AMD not have as good as sales as they expected.

Actually, the reason for the DDR5 deal with AMD was because of poor sales. Motherboard + DDR5 prices (At the time of release) and other factors made AMD not have as good as sales as they expected.
Man, the coping and refusing to accept that an Nvidia product just isn't selling well. If AM5 was selling good, there is no way Microcenter would be selling that 7900X combo for now $550. No way. High end pc parts aren't loss leaders. Price was a big complaint about AM5 at launch, but some just now ignore it because the same is applying to nvidia cards.

Actually, the reason for the nvidia deal right now is poor sales. Pricing and other factors made the 40 series cards not have as good as sales as they expected.

Kind of makes you wonder what kind of margin there is for these cards for the retailers. Yeah we've seen the graph showing Nvidia profits soaring while AIB partners trending downward but curious how much does Microcenter (or any store) pay to sell a $599 card, can't imagine the margins are very big at all, but they're giving away $100 gift cards which man not cost them $100 but they can't be discounted terribly much

Kind of makes you wonder what kind of margin there is for these cards for the retailers. Yeah we've seen the graph showing Nvidia profits soaring while AIB partners trending downward but curious how much does Microcenter (or any store) pay to sell a $599 card, can't imagine the margins are very big at all, but they're giving away $100 gift cards which man not cost them $100 but they can't be discounted terribly much
I read the BOM cost is around 200 for a 4070, but I can't find the link. That doesn't include R&D, logistics, etc. I think at 600 they're probably still making close to 100 percent profit.

I read the BOM cost is around 200 for a 4070, but I can't find the link. That doesn't include R&D, logistics, etc. I think at 600 they're probably still making close to 100 percent profit.

I thought the AIBs were making very slim margin on the MSRP model 4070s. Nvidia takes a hefty part of the profit.

I thought the AIBs were making very slim margin on the MSRP model 4070s. Nvidia takes a hefty part of the profit.
Supposedly yeah, Nvidia sells the boards to AIBs takes it's share (whatever that cost is), AIBs in turn sell to retailers take their share (whatever that cost is), retailers sell to us consumers and take their share which is where I'm curious how much margin there is. FEs are something different because they knock out a middle man, but they're also sold only at Best Buy and don't represent the whole of all other products really.

NVidia margins are down to what they were in 2016, they let their investors know they were eating a bunch of costs and not passing them down because it would have made it impossible for their board partners to actually meet MSRP.

Attachments

• 44A29B10-4593-4D97-854A-7936DDA883AF.png
    44A29B10-4593-4D97-854A-7936DDA883AF.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 1
They aren't making excuses you're just flat out wrong here. The memory is unified on a PS5. The memory on a PC is not. Going out to system memory on a PS5 you have 448GB/s of bandwidth to work with doesn't matter if it's VRAM or for the engine. To make the same trip to system memory on a 13900K you have 89.6GB/s of bandwidth. So when you fill up the 8GB of ram on your video card and it's got to go out to system memory its bandwidth gets reduced by a factor of 4 and you can't understand why this would pose a problem?
They are different architectures, I get that. That doesn't mean game X cannot play equally well on PC vs Console. ANY game that can run on a console, can run as well or better on the PC. Obviously the game engines will have differences, and handle some tasks differently. Figuring that out is the work in 'porting' a game between platforms.

If they are going to port it from one to the other, they know ahead of time that the architectures are different, and exactly what those differences are. They can either port it properly, or just not port it.

They outsourced the port and that company did a shitty job, simple as that.

They are different architectures, I get that. That doesn't mean game X cannot play equally well on PC vs Console. ANY game that can run on a console, can run as well or better on the PC. Obviously the game engines will have differences, and handle some tasks differently. Figuring that out is the work in 'porting' a game between platforms.

If they are going to port it from one to the other, they know ahead of time that the architectures are different, and exactly what those differences are. They can either port it properly, or just not port it.

No one said a port couldn't be done as long as the video card has enough vram.

Obviously you want to ignore that part and pretend that any video card that has the word nVidia on it is unstoppable regardless of what the specs are.

You're also assuming that everything is exactly the same between the console and PC version. Different assets including textures as well as higher detail and higher viewing distances and such can make a big difference in the requirements to run it on PC and that means more VRAM. It seems most people espousing the "bad port" and nVidia has enough VRAM never seem to take this into account. That doesn't mean that a port from console to PC isn't bad but performance differences don't mean it must be the fault of a bad port.

VRAM usage in games has been going up and it will probably continue to go up. Having a video card with a marginal amount of RAM for current games is likely going to be a handicap sooner rather than later.

I can't believe we're now trying to equate games optimized for a specific console with a port made for general PC use. Since when has that even been applicable?

I don't know if AMD is still ordering RDNA2 chips, but 7nm isn't the new hotness anymore. It might be cheaper to keep RDNA2 for mid/low range than to use the smaller nodes, even with chiplets.

There could be a classic AMD "refresh" coming.

I can't believe we're now trying to equate games optimized for a specific console with a port made for general PC use. Since when has that even been applicable?
This is the first time where the console and the majority of PC’s are equal or the console is a tad better.
Steam hardware surveys need to be taken with a grain of salt but they are for the most part a very accurate depiction of the PC gaming landscape.
The PS5 is straight up more powerful than 50% of the gaming PC’s out there in use.

I don't know if AMD is still ordering RDNA2 chips, but 7nm isn't the new hotness anymore. It might be cheaper to keep RDNA2 for mid/low range than to use the smaller nodes, even with chiplets.

There could be a classic AMD "refresh" coming.
AMD has stopped ordering, but they have a lot of them. Given current market demands they could maintain supply for something like 6 months if not more with out really making more. There is not a lot of purchasing going on, times are tough, the market is down, demand is down, but expectations are up. Nobody is really happy with any of the offerings this go around.

So is the 6950xt dropping to that price? Or is it just one particular vendor, Asrock, is lowering it's cost on these to that price in order to clear out stock and transition more to 7000 series cards?
AMD probably sponsoring AsRock

In future they might sponsor other vendors too I guess.

So is the 6950xt dropping to that price? Or is it just one particular vendor, Asrock, is lowering it's cost on these to that price in order to clear out stock and transition more to 7000 series cards?
Yeah looks like Asrock only right now. Comes with a free game as well.

I tend to agree for "future proofing" but I can see a 12gb card making sense. If you're a peasant like I am, maybe all you really want is 1080p gaming. 12gb does that with plenty to spare. Even at 1440p it's not so bad but I'd be concerned about it a year from now.

As for the 4070 itself....it is overpriced? Oh hell yes. It wouldn't have cost much more to equip it with 16gb either.
Funny I am 1 yr + into a 3080 and it runs all my games at max setting without DLSS at 1440p lack of memory is not an issue. RT is a total hype do not need it, visual diff are min on cyberpunk with the new RT tech demo.

Atomic Heart another RT failure you must pirate the developer game to have RT.

nope, most retailers are making between 5-20%. by the time the cards sold there's very little profit for retailers.

nope, most retailers are making between 5-20%. by the time the cards sold there's very little profit for retailers.
3-5% maybe - 20% nope unless they are getting a back end from MFR. If sales are poor then that gets passed on to consumer.

3-5% maybe - 20% nope unless they are getting a back end from MFR. If sales are poor then that gets passed on to consumer.
As a retailer if you are making less than 15% on it then it is literally not worth stocking unless you are moving them as fast as you are bringing them in, lots of retail outlets are choosing not to stock the 4070's at this stage because they figured out beforehand they would just be dust collectors on their shelves. The card is a solid $150 too much there are literal boatloads of 3070's on the used market for peanuts, less than half the price of a new 4070. With the way the economy is the 4070 is aimed at a market that has an abundance of used or new options from previous gen at a far lower price.
Nvidia is launching these because they already had TSMC make them, AMD is fortunate that their fab time was bumped back because it meant they could cancel entire product ranges before they hit a dead market.

Back