Nvidia GeForce FX 5800 Ultra

The actual top AGP cards are getting pricey now too:

Radeon 3870 AGP (only ES)
Radeon 3850 AGP
Radeon 4670 AGP

Technically the 3850 AGP is more powerful, but you'll be CPU bottlenecked on the majority of AGP systems.

Don't forget the Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ (7900GT) and the AGP 7950GT.
Yeah you're a little bottlenecked unless you have an Asrock s775 Dual Vsta. I have 2 of these boards actually. You can run up to E8600 or even QX6800. Maybe Q9650 would work too. But any of those CPUs could support the potential of the fastest AGP cards.

Reactions: erek
like this
Yeah you're a little bottlenecked unless you have an Asrock s775 Dual Vsta. I have 2 of these boards actually. You can run up to E8600 or even QX6800. Maybe Q9650 would work too. But any of those CPUs could support the potential of the fastest AGP cards.

That's the board I was testing my FX5950U in. I couldn't clock FSB as high with the QX6850 or the QX9650 as I could the X6800 so the X6800 ended up being the fastest for Windows 98SE.

I do have a second of those boards so I may try that one at some point to see if I can clock higher. The real problem is that to get higher FSB, you have to volt mod the board. Same for the CPU voltage.. there is no adjustment so if you want to use more than stock voltage, you have to volt mod the motherboard or pad mod the CPU for that as well.

This motherboard is VERY limited by the low stock FSB.

That's the board I was testing my FX5950U in. I couldn't clock FSB as high with the QX6850 or the QX9650 as I could the X6800 so the X6800 ended up being the fastest for Windows 98SE.

I do have a second of those boards so I may try that one at some point to see if I can clock higher. The real problem is that to get higher FSB, you have to volt mod the board. Same for the CPU voltage.. there is no adjustment so if you want to use more than stock voltage, you have to volt mod the motherboard or pad mod the CPU for that as well.

This motherboard is VERY limited by the low stock FSB.
Yeah, I have both an E8400 and Q6600 laying around somewhere I had experimented with in the past and had a similar experience. This is on the support page:

Attachments

• 20201206_134218.jpg
    20201206_134218.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 0
like this
Unless someones shows me some benchies, I'm reasonably sure the 7950GT was nowhere in the same league as the 3850AGP/4670AGP.

like this
Unless someones shows me some benchies, I'm reasonably sure the 7950GT was nowhere in the same league as the 3850AGP/4670AGP.
It was simply the fastest Nvidia AGP card.

like this
Hey guys iv just been cleaning out my old graphics card and seem to have one of these geforce fx 5800 ultra, I haven't had chance to test it yet, I'm looking to sell it but can't seem to find much about the card and am not sure what starting price on ebay, any info would be appreciated.

Hey guys iv just been cleaning out my old graphics card and seem to have one of these geforce fx 5800 ultra, I haven't had chance to test it yet, I'm looking to sell it but can't seem to find much about the card and am not sure what starting price on ebay, any info would be appreciated.
I’ll buy it. Any pics? How much to buy it outright / now

Some pictures as requested and I have the driver disc as well, I'm yet to test it, il dig out an old pc and make sure it works

i cant believe what that damn card sold for... jesus I wish I kept mine.

Looks like you are set for retirement when you sell all of those. I have a ton of video cards myself, but most of mine are a lot earlier than that.

like this

Radeon 3850 AGP
Radeon 4670 AGP

Technically the 3850 AGP is more powerful, but you'll be CPU bottlenecked on the majority of AGP systems.
I really wanted a 3850 AGP for my dual-CPU Athlon MP rig back in 2009-ish. I think I ended up settling for an X850XTPE which barely ran Clear Sky

like this

Radeon 3850 AGP
Radeon 4670 AGP

I lost my Sapphire 3850 in the last couple years....

Sad but eh, it treated me well for Fallout 3 - which was it's primary purpose.

At the time:

Athlon64 x2 4400+ Toledo
4GB DDR400
Sapphire 3850 512mb AGP

I give three hundred bucks

I'm not sure wot u mean, this is the rite card isn't it?
Yes it's the right card, what I mean is erek is an addict addicted to deprecated graphics cards and likes to buy them. So like a dealer selling a junkie drugs... you are enabling erek. GG

like this
Yes it's the right card, what I mean is erek is an addict addicted to deprecated graphics cards and likes to buy them. So like a dealer selling a junkie drugs... you are enabling erek. GG
what equipment you got?

Hey guys iv found 2 other graphic cards one is a geforce 2 mx 32mb DDR and the other is a geforce 7800gt not in the best of states tho little bit of surface rust on the VGA port if anyone is interested let me know.

It was a joke. I would love a second one at some point but I have other hobbies too. I’m just now after a long hiatus finding myself getting interested again.

There’s a couple other notable cards that I’m drawn to collectibility wise and were interesting for one reason or other.

In no particular order:

7800 GTX 512.

These cards were very short lived. Basically cherry picked 70 cores cranked up with double the ram but much faster ram at that. These cards were immediately replace by 7900 GTX’s. They are hard to come by and pretty cool in their own right.

6800 Ultra 512.

Nothing really note worthy about the card, just had double the ram of the 256 variant which was mostly unnecessary at the time. The reference heatsink art is quite nice though displaying Nalu.

Radeon X800 XT PE

Just a factory overclocked X800 XT that was such vaporware they dubbed it the “phantom edition”. Just realeased to combat the 6800 Ultra Extreme (maybe it was the other way around?)

I’d say that 2000-2010 were the most fun hardware wise.

Obviously Voodoo cards can be neat to collect.

There’s others out there but those are some that resonate with me.

Last edited:
like this
It was a joke. I would love a second one at some point but I have other hobbies too. I’m just now after a long hiatus finding myself getting interested again.

There’s a couple other notable cards that I’m drawn to collectibility wise and were interesting for one reason or other.

In no particular order:

7800 GTX 512.

These cards were very short lived. Basically cherry picked 70 cores cranked up with double the ram but much faster ram at that. These cards were immediately replace by 7900 GTX’s. They are hard to come by and pretty cool in their own right.

6800 Ultra 512.

Nothing really note worthy about the card, just had double the ram of the 256 variant which was mostly unnecessary at the time. The reference heatsink art is quite nice though displaying Nalu.

Radeon X800 XT PE

Just a factory overclocked X800 XT that was such vaporware they dubbed it the “phantom edition”. Just realeased to combat the 6800 Ultra Extreme (maybe it was the other way around?)

I’d say that 2000-2010 were the most fun hardware wise.

Obviously Voodoo cards can be neat to collect.

There’s others out there but those are some that resonate with me.

"
[11:03 AM]
H_Rush:
in terms of architecture it brought a lot of new features, like true fp32 or quad pixel pipeline organization, that became standard for future generations. But it failed in gaming performance. So, I consider FX like some kind of milestone for industry, for sure, but not very fortunate. It's crucial to learn mistakes of the past to not repeat them later.Look at flowfx - a very complicated construction, but loud and inefficient. Nvidia's learned much from this - that good cooling can be much simpler - just a piece of metal with a big fan on it. That's why it is interesting - it shows an evolution of engineering ideas. A dead end of evolution, actually)
"

--

it wasn't bad in OpenGL, plus i don't know of any other card that came out with Super Models!

Last edited:
Reactions: Halon
like this
erek

I just picked up an EVGA branded FX 5800 Ultra from craigslist locally. But it is artifact'ing. Going to try some things on my end.

like this
Back