NVIDIA Ending Driver Support for 3D Vision, Mobile Kepler-Series GeForce GPUs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
NVIDIA has published two new support entries revealing the fate of its 3D Vision technology and Kepler notebook GPUs. After Release 418 in April 2019, GeForce Game Ready Drivers will no longer support NVIDIA 3D Vision. (“Those looking to utilize 3D Vision can remain on a Release 418 driver.”) Critical security updates for mobile Kepler-series GPUs will also cease by April 2020.

Game Ready Driver upgrades, including performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes, will be available for systems utilizing mobile Maxwell, Pascal, and Turing-series GPUs for notebooks, effective April 2019. Critical security updates will be available on systems utilizing mobile Kepler-series GPUs through April 2020. Game Ready Driver upgrades will continue to be available for desktop Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal, Volta, and Turing-series GPUs.

They're making it free finally!?
Ok, I'm excited, and I am going to hookup my 3dtv.

Isn't 3DVision only for those proprietary Nvidia glasses? For TV's it required a license for 3DTVPlay, which was something like $30. I used to use it here and there for the very few games that benefited from it. Crysis 2 is the last one I can recall offhand. I dunno. I tossed my license key when my newest TV no longer supported 3D.

Isn't 3DVision only for those proprietary Nvidia glasses? For TV's it required a license for 3DTVPlay, which was something like $30. I used to use it here and there for the very few games that benefited from it. Crysis 2 is the last one I can recall offhand. I dunno. I tossed my license key when my newest TV no longer supported 3D.

It works with any 3d glasses, but to actually use it you either needed their glasses, or to pay for a subscription.
The 3d vision always worked in the nv control panel for me, but I wasn't going to pay just to use it.

Revolutionary tech in two decades of pretty much only evolutionary advances (3D accellerators).

I originally thought it was quite the gimmick until I played a title that really utilized it to the fullest extent; Trine & Tomb Raid 2013 Reboot. It is so good that I would not even want to play those titles without it.

I knew the lifespan of support would be ending soon, just not this soon.

Modders fix issues in games that don't fully support it.

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/

Revolutionary tech in two decades of pretty much only evolutionary advances (3D accellerators).

I originally thought it was quite the gimmick until I played a title that really utilized it to the fullest extent; Trine & Tomb Raid 2013 Reboot. It is so good that I would not even want to play those titles without it.

The first two Batman Arkham games had pretty good 3D implementation as well. In its prime 3D Vision was outstanding.

I used to like 3D vision, but a lot of post processing effects etc just made it unusable without using 3rd party tweaks.

The first two Batman Arkham games had pretty good 3D implementation as well. In its prime 3D Vision was outstanding.

Yup great implementations but the game still ran slow in many areas; huge r_speeds issues at some angles.

Yeah, the batman games and bad company 2 were amazing in 3d vision surround. Truly the end of an era, but most modern displays that could support 3D vision weren't supported, so it was basically dead anyway :( (I would love to see it working on a 35" 1440p ultrawide)

I still remember them mentioning "auto stereo" to bring that experience to VR and then just never did anything.

https://www.vrcircle.com/nvidia-brings-vr-to-regular-games-with-auto-stereo-feature/

I'd really love it if it was possible to have that in VR. VorpX does that sometimes, but has nowhere near the compatibility of 3D Vision.

I'll miss it but honestly they've been breaking it for a few years now. I got into around the time of Witcher 2. With the right panels 3d was amazing back then. Over time I noticed that after every new gen gpu a new tier of drivers seemed to cause issues(frame skips, ghosting, sometimes totally broken). I've been playing much, much, less since upgrading to my Z9D 4k t.v. but it too offers 4k 3d upscaling but I use that for movies since they nobody ever upgraded beyond HDMI 1.4 3d protocols. I.E. 3D over HDMI is still limited to 1080p/24hz or 720p/60hz. TBH though, all the new features of displays and GPU's such as HDR, RT, 4k/60hz, and improved textures have pretty much won me over now. I will say that playing on an actual 3d monitor is the way to go. I've got 2, both Asus 27". One is 1080P 120hz(DVI-D Dualink), and 1440p/144hz(DP 1.4). Games that are designed for these look pretty amazing but they demand 1080TI or better to get above 70-80 fps with max settings and like I said, the driver used can greatly affect both performance and visuals. I've got no doubt that 3d will again resurface in some form some day. We've got VR now, and a number people are developing glasses free 8k solutions. Sad part is that'll likely take 2 decades for GPU's to catch up at the rate they're going.

Some games I really enjoyed and recommend for 3d Vision on a monitor:
1. Witcher 2 and 3(has a few lighting/shadow issues but overall pretty amazing)
2. Metro LL(original but recent drivers have added ghosting and lighting issues)
3. Crysis 2 and 3
4. Batman Arkham City
5. Alien Isolation(takes some tricks to get going but they had started to incorporate before release and some fans posted instructions how to get working)
6. Doom 3 BFG
7. Tomb Raider(2010), ROTTR, and SOTTR(looks good but you have to use DX11 and this is one of the few games where DX12 really does perform better)
8. L.A. Noire(over the years drivers have really made a mess of it but originally looked really good)

I'll miss it but they've been letting it fall to pieces for a while now and it's become more of a PIA to run anymore.

Sad part is that'll likely take 2 decades for GPU's to catch up at the rate they're going.

Exactly! - In a perfect world you would have two monitors, 1080p for multiplayer vs games to maintain 99% of frames over 100+ and then a 1440p to maintain for single player games to maintain 99% of frames over 60+.

Trine 1&2 // Alien Isolation // Kingdoms of Amalur - also have great support.

Wonder how far back in drivers you can go (time wise) to help fix issues brought up by the newer ones?

Back