Nvidia driver install problem - 416.94

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Capture.JPG

WTF...do I really need to install GeForce Experience in order to install this driver?

Build 1809 on a fresh install BTW...

Just use display driver uninstalled to clean out the old drivers. Then reinstall.

It's a fresh install...there's no drivers to uninstall. I can't imagine I'm the first person to try to install drivers on a fresh Build 1809 with a 1070 card.

So...I installed the GeForce Experience.

Then the driver installed fine :rolleyes:. This is starting to get old.

I'm just glad that I can afford to sit out this generation of nVidia cards. Depending on what AMD brings to the table in the next two years, team red has a serious shot at getting my business again.

people should read before reach any wrong conclusion.

First there's no need of Geforce experience to be installed in order to install driver, it is asking geforce experience because there are two types of drivers, DCH and standard, you are using DCH driver, anyone else can check what kind of driver your machine use in the nvidia control panel, system information. it should say Driver type: Standard or DCH. you probably downloaded and are trying to install the wrong version.

DCH drivers can't be installed over Standard and Standard drivers can't be installed over DCH.. even if there's no driver to install, windows itself will install a driver for the GPU, on a fresh installation again you can check if there's a driver installed easily and faster than any other way with GPU-Z.. and there is where your issue start.

check everything above and reportback

anyway I will provide link for DCH and Standar driver, but I can be sure for your picture that your system is using DCH type of driver.

Standard: https://international.download.nvid...94-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

DCH: https://international.download.nvid...esktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe

DCH drivers are for system which require additional language support and regional varieties for the UWP platform and typically come preinstalled in any OEM machine.. anyway as said, you can run DDU to delete entirely your current DCH driver and just install standard drivers again..

you can read more about DCH here

I guess Windows installed the DCH version from what I can see. I've done fresh installs of Windows, but never had this issue before. In fact, I never even knew there was a DCH version of Nvidia's drivers because I never had an issue. Windows didn't install the Nvidia control panel, so I couldn't look at if I had DCH vs. Standard until after I installed the GeForce Experience and had it download a driver for me. I guess if that happens again at least I'll know where to start troubleshooting.

Honestly, I shouldn't have to try and figure out what version I need AFTER I go to Nvidia's website, select driver download, then pick my card and OS out of the lists. Based on the file names, it was providing me with Standard drivers.

But thank you for the information. Learn something new everyday.

Yes, there WERE drivers installed.....they were not the latest drivers. Even on fresh installs windows pulls an old version from the windows update server. So yes, running DDU first then downloading the newest from nvidia would have fixed this. You do NOT need GeForce Experience at all. In fact the drivers give you the option to not install it now.

I thought you meant uninstall from the add remove programs. I'm trying it right now with the standard driver after using ddu. Looks like it works now.

Back