NVidia announces Grace

Now do they wait till they close on ARM to announce the consumer parts ? /jk

Ya this is bad news for Intel... Graviton Nvidia. If you need x86 AMD is a good option... and if you aren't tied to x86 using Julia ect you x86 is probably not going to be the most cost effective OR the highest performance.

Grace seems to confirm in my mind why Nvidia wants to own ARM. They want to be seen as the Intel of ARM chips... the standard. Its just about winning some mindshare with the bean counters... more then a requirement for their plans.

Ya this is bad news for Intel... Graviton Nvidia. If you need x86 AMD is a good option... and if you aren't tied to x86 using Julia ect you x86 is probably not going to be the most cost effective OR the highest performance.

Grace seems to confirm in my mind why Nvidia wants to own ARM. They want to be seen as the Intel of ARM chips... the standard. Its just about winning some mindshare with the bean counters... more then a requirement for their plans.
Well, this is probably designed to replace the Epyc parts in their DGX boxes, Have it 100% in-house from top to bottom optimized for their process and their customers. There has to be a slight sting to be powering NVidia hardware with AMD processors.

Looks like a smart move to do super computing first. They position themselves as the best CPU in the world, surely that will trickle down to consumer at some point.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Well, this is probably designed to replace the Epyc parts in their DGX boxes, Have it 100% in-house from top to bottom optimized for their process and their customers. There has to be a slight sting to be powering NVidia hardware with AMD processors.
Partly... but make no mistake Jenson wants to dance on Intels grave. And at the rate Intel has been fucking up... I think jacket man doing a jig on a stage announcing desktop class parts is coming very soon. Jensen I have no doubt still wakes up in sweats thinking about how Intel chased them out of chipsets never mind cough up a x86 license. (no matter what is said about those times... that is what Nvidia wanted when the bought those F intel patents. Instead Intel just threw cash at them. No way they where giving NV a license. Poetic if that move is what ultimately Fucks Intel over for good.)

Going after the servers first your right is easier as they already have AMD powered parts... drop in the Nvidia stuff and go. Also on the server side the push to ARM has been picking up a ton of steam with Graviton kicking ass and taking names. Nvidia will now have a high end option for people wanting big iron in house... and they can still spin up Graviton as needed.

They are saying 2023 on these... makes sense. I have a feeling before the end of this year they will also announce desktop/laptop class grace chips for the same time frame. (I HOPE right now they are doing what they need to behind the scenes to build a platform ecosystem.) If Jensen can get on a stage a few weeks after Intels new CEO announces some new stuffs and announce a bunch of board partners building new nForce boards for coming retail versions of grace. I'm sure he'll be an extremely happy jacket man.

I really feel for Pat at Intel... what a shit time to take over. lol

This was my exact thought when I saw it. We have a BU in our company that was looking to get into ML a few months ago, so I got to do a lot of reading up on the matter, and my first thought was they can't be happy having to use an EPYC into that DGX box.

We settled on a proof of concept build (Dell T5820 with a couple RTX8000's) before looking to anything as fun as the DGX box or a loaded up BOXX system, but I'm actually really excited to see what this thing can do within the space. Especially with the 2023 availability, plenty of time for that BU to get comfortable before they start to demand more speed.

Exciting stuff!

Well if you are already dropping a few hundred K on some NVidia GPU’s it makes sense that it’s already running some super optimized software, it’s not a stretch to see how they could build an optimized processor to do it. Those systems already run Linux and they have a version or it already deployed running on ARM for their Xavier Dev kits. Only seems to make sense at this stage.

but how does Grace affects Intel 5% drop on their stock today? Intel doesn't make servers

but how does Grace affects Intel 5% drop on their stock today? Intel doesn't make servers
They scored some big supercomputer contracts that Grace will be powering. Intel and AMD both took 5% hits on it.
And, for all the flack that Intel deserves for their Xeons, Intel will outsell AMD on servers 10-1 this year on availability alone, let alone the custom jobs.

Related?
Screenshot_20210628-130456.png

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158538924018253&id=8409118252&refid=7

That is a separate project from Grace. Grace is a server CPU, the Aerial platform is another beast altogether, but it uses Grace CPUs.
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...-service-and-network-infrastructure-providers

I mean honestly, the NVidia Aerial project sounds to me exactly like what Skynet was supposed to be so let's hope they have better quality control.

Back