NVIDIA Ada Lovelace to supposedly power the next Nintendo Switch

I am amazed by sheer amount of assumptions and generalizations

You can see both sides pretty clearly, and while there's plenty of fan service going in either direction, there's also a lot of experience here, in terms of game knowledge, hardware knowledge, and industry knowledge.

That's the nature of this forum, and it's why there aren't many, if any, other places like it.

age_split.jpg

Age demographics of the Switch is more diverse than people assume. Switch wouldn't have been a huge success if it was marketed just as "kid's console" It is nothing more than an assumption that the Switch wouldn't appeal to older demographics.

Switch wouldn't have been a huge success if it was marketed just as "kid's console" It is nothing more than an assumption that the Switch wouldn't appeal to older demographics.

Looks like the demos indicate kids, people who are adults but had them as kids, and adults who are parenting age, or have nostalgia for the toys they grew up with and disposable income. So the people as described in this thread.

Looks like the demos indicate kids, people who are adults but had them as kids, and adults who are parenting age, or have nostalgia for the toys they grew up with and disposable income. So the people as described in this thread.

Which is the reason why Video game industry keeps on thriving. But I disagree with your point that the Switch is only being marketed toward kids.

I'm a real adult I swear, I only play games for adults meaning only games with a M rating. Check out how mature I am. Lol, dumb little kids with their nintendo games that are incapable of being good games because I'm totally ignorant to any of the games or the dynamics they offer. I refuse to educate myself on any of this because why would I? Nintendo is for children.

I wish I could downvote posts on this forum.

I'm a real adult I swear, I only play games for adults meaning only games with a M rating. Check out how mature I am. Lol, dumb little kids with their nintendo games that are incapable of being good games because I'm totally ignorant to any of the games or the dynamics they offer. I refuse to educate myself on any of this because why would I? Nintendo is for children.

"It doesn't have only washed out brown tones and tons of bloom and blood, so it's clearly made for kids!"

Who are using these things? Like, young kids?

A lot of people. I've seen them used on planes a few times. Young women love Nintendo games, and women in general. Think of any demographics that wants family friendly games, or any demographic that wants a good mobile gaming device. The Switch hits both of those very well.

hopefully the next iteration can run 3d intensive games at something better than 900p @ 30fps

hopefully the next iteration can run 3d intensive games at something better than 900p @ 30fps
at ~10w total draw I wouldn't bet on it, even the steam deck using twice that barely manages that task. It would more likely get a solid 30 min at 900p but with far better graphics and features. I would love to be wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm just hoping that when they do launch it they maintain compatibility with the existing switch library.

View attachment 379427

Age demographics of the Switch is more diverse than people assume. Switch wouldn't have been a huge success if it was marketed just as "kid's console" It is nothing more than an assumption that the Switch wouldn't appeal to older demographics.

I suspect this data is problematic.

Firstly, there is no age group under 18.

Secondly, how is the data collected? How many of these are purchased and owned by adults for their children, and are primarily used by children?

I suspect this data is problematic.

Firstly, there is no age group under 18.

Secondly, how is the data collected? How many of these are purchased and owned by adults for their children, and are primarily used by children?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...racting-more-women-wider-age-ranges-over-time
https://www.npd.com/products/consumer-tracking/

I fall under the age category 35-45, and most of my friends enjoying the Switch also falls under that age category as well. Perhaps you can open up your eyes little bit and break away from your preconceived view that Switch is only meant for the kids?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...racting-more-women-wider-age-ranges-over-time
https://www.npd.com/products/consumer-tracking/

I fall under the age category 35-45, and most of my friends enjoying the Switch also falls under that age category as well. Perhaps you can open up your eyes little bit and break away from your preconceived view that Switch is only meant for the kids?

I think we've established that it is not only for kids already.

I'm simply pointing out that this data is likely not very accurate, and probably complete rubbish, so I would caution anyone from drawing any conclusions from it.

I'm simply pointing out that this data is likely not very accurate, and probably complete rubbish, so I would caution anyone from drawing any conclusions from it.

Could be, but I don't expect actual numbers would be very far from it. There isn't a better data out there than EEDAR researched Data from NPD for sure when it comes to video game industry.

View attachment 379427

Looks like many kids, young college students, and some older adults who played with a DS and Gameboy Advance are very likely to have a Switch (e.g. people who were in college when the DS came out).

The Nintendo Switch has the dogs breakfast of Demographics. It has avid users from 5 to 85 with something of just about every game type there is, and the overwhelming majority of them are well executed.

*well executed doesn’t mean good overall just good at what it was trying to do.

The Nintendo Switch has the dogs breakfast of Demographics.

Yeah, but it's still only marketed toward kids. The other people are Nintendo fans, or people in charge of kids, like parents and teachers.

That might change with a more powerful console. Anything to give it a hook, really.

Yeah, but it's still only marketed toward kids. The other people are Nintendo fans, or people in charge of kids, like parents and teachers.

That is grossly oversimplifying Nintendo's marketing strategy. Main difference between Sony/MS vs Nintendo marketing is that latter focuses more on the casual gamers. If you ever watched Nintendo's advertisement for last 10 years, they are pretty much targeting all demographics of gender and age.
Kid's only marketing stopped in the 90s. Stop living in the past.

If you ever watched Nintendo's advertisement for last 10 years, they are pretty much targeting all demographics of gender and age.

I have not consciously seen any advertisements for the Nintendo Switch, ever.

Then why are you even trying to argue about Nintendo's marketing strategy if you have not consciously seen one in the first place?

Think about the implications of that. I'm a gamer in the 35-45 segment. I see ads for the Playstation and Xbox. I see ads for Alienware, Newegg, Acer, Lenovo. I was hitting pre-order for the Deck the minute it went live. I'm heavily involved with social media for work.

The Switch is not being marketed to me at all.

If the Switch Pro or Switch 2 or whatever they end up calling it is significantly different, they might try expanding their target audience. But I can say positively that they're not doing anything to get my attention with the Switch.

Think about the implications of that. I'm a gamer in the 35-45 segment. I see ads for the Playstation and Xbox. I see ads for Alienware, Newegg, Acer, Lenovo. I was hitting pre-order for the Deck the minute it went live. I'm heavily involved with social media for work.

If the Switch Pro or Switch 2 or whatever they end up calling it is significantly different, they might try expanding their target audience. But I can say positively that they're not doing anything to get my attention with the Switch.

I am a gamer in the 35-45 segment and I saw a plenty of switch advertisement as often as ads for the PS/Xbox and all those PC companies as well. If you never saw Switch ads, then It probably means you were never interested in the NIntendo device in the first place.
Because social media/google search algorithm searches for your browsing behavior and put up the ads based on it.
Just because YOU haven't consciously seen the switch ads, doesn't make your point right however.

I'm really confused by something, if you are doing social media for your company, how you can take the stance that something is meant only for another group because only you aren't seeing an ad for it? While ignoring that many others within your age group are saying they see the ads. Isn't your job to aim for what the customer/viewers outside your own general scope of view. I don't know exactly what your industry is, but if I was an owner and my social media employee told me that while our customers like a product and use a product, but the social media employee doesn't and so now has decided that age group is now not a relevant market despite the evidence...that would make me pretty annoyed as the owner. Making a blanket statement like "yeah, but it's still only marketed toward kids." while also saying you haven't made an effort to look at the ads seems a little off.

As mentioned above, probably won't change any minds here for some people. I've realize some people on [H] are harder to please or talk to than my Asian parents. But in an effort to offer more evidence, if you have the time check out things like the recent Metroid Dread announcement and gameplay. It's a little more mature in their target. There's even games like Catherine Full Body, Witcher 3, LA Noire, Doom and so more that are adult or M rated games which are mainstream and available on the switch.

I'm really confused by something, if you are doing social media for your company, how you can take the stance that something is meant only for another group because only you aren't seeing an ad for it?

I did a bit of Nintendo marketing reading, and the reason I haven't seen any ads for the Nintendo Switch is, drumroll ... their marketing is focused at kids. Most of their marketing is done in-network (Nintendo fans) and through social media (influencers). Their conventional marketing (TV) is mostly set on kids' programming, with some marketing going to the 25-35 programming and the rest family programming.

I don't watch TV in the conventional sense, and I'm not tuned into the Nintendo town square, because I'm not a Nintendo fan.

They even had a whole marketing campaign about how their cartridges taste bad. They taste bad so that kids spit them out instead of swallowing them. I can't produce a better metaphor for kids' product if child safety is part of its marketing.

I googled "Lovelace" (safesearch Off) "and the results would shock you!"

Reactions: Axman
like this
I did a bit of Nintendo marketing reading, and the reason I haven't seen any ads for the Nintendo Switch is, drumroll ... their marketing is focused at kids. Most of their marketing is done in-network (Nintendo fans) and through social media (influencers). Their conventional marketing (TV) is mostly set on kids' programming, with some marketing going to the 25-35 programming and the rest family programming.

I don't watch TV in the conventional sense, and I'm not tuned into the Nintendo town square, because I'm not a Nintendo fan.

They even had a whole marketing campaign about how their cartridges taste bad. They taste bad so that kids spit them out instead of swallowing them. I can't produce a better metaphor for kids' product if child safety is part of its marketing.

Tide pods and other laundry products frequently include "kids won't actually eat it" in their marketing because of dumb bullshit that was on the internet. That does not mean the products is for kids, it just mean to assure people who might have kids running through the house. But if you want to go make an argument that power tools and cleaning products are marketed to kids have at.

Nintendo's marketing isn't really focused on kids and that's not their target Demographic either. Nintendo's core franchises are universal hit's through all age groups. So Nintendo's marketing focuses on those franchises. I know plenty of guys in the 30-50 age range who like Zelda and Metroid and will pickup those games. Mario is just one of those games that everyone plays, and it's asthetic is always going to appear a bit cartoonish. Nintendo also has more than it's share of Japanese games published on it that can be shocking dark, violent, or sexual. This was even the case on the Wii (arguably their most family friend effort of all time) where No More Hero's ran videos of a dude jerking off with a laser sword, multiple crotch/panty shots, shitting on a toilet and killing people. Or the game Mad World which featured nonstop carnage from a dude with a chain sword arm with Benders voice talking about how he likes scotch and ass. Both of these games ran ad campaigns in America that were pretty wild.

I also see multiple Playstation ads showing family games that are obviously more geared towards kids.

Everyone is marketing and selling to everyone all the time when it comes to gaming. Nintendo just gets crap because they prove that specs don't matter each generation and the same groups of people get all twisted over it.

Tide pods and other laundry products frequently include "kids won't actually eat it" in their marketing because of dumb bullshit that was on the internet.
Although the Switch cards to actually taste bad--the Pokemon ones especially so. When the story came out a bunch of people licked the carts just to see if it was true or just a rumor, and the Pokemon ones were extra-nasty.

Nintendo's marketing isn't really focused on kids and that's not their target Demographic either.

It's primarily focused on fanbois and kids. In that order. It goes in-network, then kids' influencers, then kids' TV. You know plenty of Nintendo fanbois.

And Tide Pods are marketed to kids, that was the whole point of the Tide Pod Challenge. It's just that Tide and Procter and Gamble weren't behind that particular ad campaign.

It's primarily focused on fanbois and kids. In that order. It goes in-network, then kids' influencers, then kids' TV. You know plenty of Nintendo fanbois.

And Tide Pods are marketed to kids, that was the whole point of the Tide Pod Challenge. It's just that Tide and Procter and Gamble weren't behind that particular ad campaign.

Again, not entirely. There is a global market for games and devices and it's not clearly cut by age group. Every console company and every developer has fanbois so oh well. But one thing Nintendo has done and done well is utterly dominate Asian markets of the college and professionals market. A lot of their product decisions make a lot more sense when you realize they are selling a device to someone who waits at a train station for a bit, takes a train downtown, eats in an office cube, and then does this again. These people are not kids.

There is also a massive gap in art styles in some genres and between some locations. Dragon Quest isn't really a kids game, it's as much of a hardcore RPG as the Witcher 3, it's just some people will take a look at both of them and assume one is for adults and one is for kids. You can also point square at fighting games for this. And there's a slew of Japanese games that are switch exclusives that are fully played by adults but in the US the visual style is just going to look like for kids.

Again, this happens with all sorts of "not kids products" routinely.
True. But I was curious at the time, and I licked several different carts. Presumably they're all made the same, and they were all fairly unpleasant, but the Pokemon carts have an extra kick of foulness.

True. But I was curious at the time, and I licked several different carts. Presumably they're all made the same, and they were all fairly unpleasant, but the Pokemon carts have an extra kick of foulness.
I have a bad habit of carrying things in my mouth when my hands are full and I just thought my cartridge was dirty as to why it had that taste.

I fully agree,we need the ability to downvote comments.

Not sure what's been going on the last two pages, but I absolutely love our families Switches and we play the hell out of em. I would love a higher power one and it'll happen eventually. I just don't think it'll happen in under a year. (Still expecting at BOTW2 launch).

Hell just last night both me and the wife were both playing switch in bed. Not co-op this particular night, (she's playing The Great Ace Attorney, I'm working on finishing up Super Mario World 96*) while we watched the Olympics in the background.

Sometimes you don't want to sit at your computer to game.

Last edited:
Back