Nvidia 522.25 drivers (DX12 boost for all RTX GPU's)

They came out yesterday...
as always, YMMV.
I update as soon as they release, have been since the RTX 2000 series cards and haven't yet run into an issue. I have gone from clean install to not clean install, back and forth depending though; but I don't know if that really matters.

I update as soon as they release, have been since the RTX 2000 series cards and haven't yet run into an issue. I have gone from clean install to not clean install, back and forth depending though; but I don't know if that really matters.
Yep you and millions of other people have no issues with these drivers.
But millions of people do have issues with these drivers.
Millions of variations in the hardware, software, OS etc. contribute to this phenomenon.

I use to be just like you.
Trust me when I say I want free performance from a simple driver update just like anyone else, but I also want it to be trouble free at the same time and not have me second guessing myself if my game is at fault, or my OC or settings in the BIOS. Random crashes and glitches, artifacts whatever piss me the fuck off when I had none before I "upgraded" my drivers.

I am a firm believer in "if it's not broke don't try and fuck it up by making it better."

I have driver 526.98 now and paired with a $228 43" 4k 60Hz TV that Wal - Mart sales, I bought the TV for the Roku and not gaming, you know what killed the cat and it needed to be checked out..

Here's a weird word of warning for people using newer Nvidia drivers. In particular the 526.98 driver. These are known to cause issues with HDMI output and flickering with Gsync displays. The caveat is, once you install these, the issues stays even if you go back to older drivers. That's with using a full removal via DDU and everything. No idea what's going on/wrong, but I'd avoid those if you're using HDMI and a Gsync display.

Here's a weird word of warning for people using newer Nvidia drivers. In particular the 526.98 driver. These are known to cause issues with HDMI output and flickering with Gsync displays. The caveat is, once you install these, the issues stays even if you go back to older drivers. That's with using a full removal via DDU and everything. No idea what's going on/wrong, but I'd avoid those if you're using HDMI and a Gsync display.
Sounds like I may have dodged a bullet...again.

This sounds highly unlikely, if it is a driver issue, it should be resolved by reverting. What is your source for this?

If even a fresh install of Windows still shows the issues, it is not possible to be caused by drivers, unless they actually damaged the card/port/display. Which will be big if to be the case of course, but that also would be highly unlikely. If anything would be able to damage through an update, it would be a firmware update.

This sounds highly unlikely, if it is a driver issue, it should be resolved by reverting. What is your source for this?

If even a fresh install of Windows still shows the issues, it is not possible to be caused by drivers, unless they actually damaged the card/port/display. Which will be big if to be the case of course, but that also would be highly unlikely. If anything would be able to damage through an update, it would be a firmware update.

I don't think it's doing "damage," but it's definitely a bug. It could potentially be one of the other components in the Nvidia software suite like the audio driver, Geforce Experience, or even the Control panel applet which is updated via MS store now. Could be a Windows update thing, but it seems to be happening to people on both Win10 and Win11. It has happened to me, and there are several other folks reporting the exact same thing over at Guru. Installing previous drivers that didn't do it now have the same issue.

I don't think it's doing "damage," but it's definitely a bug. It could potentially be one of the other components in the Nvidia software suite like the audio driver, Geforce Experience, or even the Control panel applet which is updated via MS store now. Could be a Windows update thing, but it seems to be happening to people on both Win10 and Win11. It has happened to me, and there are several other folks reporting the exact same thing over at Guru. Installing previous drivers that didn't do it now have the same issue.
Weird stuff, did you try a fresh install on a separate drive?

Weird stuff, did you try a fresh install on a separate drive?

Nah, I haven't gone that far. I figure it's something they'll probably fix in the short term (I've been lucky with Nvidia issues/fixes), but you never know. If there's no solution in a week or two, I'll probably delve a little deeper and take the time to try a clean install or drivers from a month ago, two months ago, etc. Just tossing it out there to let other folks know that there's something awry.

Possible update: Selecting "Prefer Maximum Performance" under Power Management in the Nvidia Panel might be a solution. One of the links on Guru3D pointed to a loooong thread over at EVGA that suggested that as a solution for all sorts of similar issues.

I did that about an hour ago and have have no blinking out of my display since.

EDIT: Maybe not a total fix (it's happened twice in 2 hours), but good enough for now I guess.

Last edited:
The newest drivers have been trouble-free for me after having wonky issues with the last batch.

Back