No thread about the framework laptop?

Been experimenting with under-clocking my Framework. I don't do anything too taxing on it so have now got it running at 2GHz. Does everything I want still and no fan noise! Chugs along at 10w when at 100% CPU.

Scored some cheap Samsung 3200Mhz DDR4 on facebook marketplace. We'll see if I notice anything in day to day use.

Been experimenting with under-clocking my Framework. I don't do anything too taxing on it so have now got it running at 2GHz. Does everything I want still and no fan noise! Chugs along at 10w when at 100% CPU.
Do you end up noticing anything in daily use?

No, as I dont really push my laptops. In the end I settled on just switching off the boost so it maxes at 2.8Ghz.

DDR4 3200 CL20 Kingston Fury is plummetting in price at the moment its almost worth to get the 2x32GB dual rank kit. But I doubt I'll notice the extra 2-3% performance boost over my single rank kit.

DDR4 3200 CL20 Kingston Fury is plummetting in price at the moment its almost worth to get the 2x32GB dual rank kit. But I doubt I'll notice the extra 2-3% performance boost over my single rank kit.
I went from 2666 CL20 to 3200 CL22 and I *think* I can notice the difference in day to day usage but I wonder if it's all psychological.

Yup! I am most certainly getting a 13" AMD model as soon as I can order it w/o a pre-order. I'm not into pre-ordering much of anything. I'll end up giving my current 11th Gen to my mother for her and Pops to use.

I did consider it but then realised its a trap. Had this been an ordinary laptop I would not be considering replacing the guts for 66% of the cost of the original laptop thats only 1 year old.

If you upgrade it every year you are really throwing money down the drain you would not have spent with a normal laptop.

Be careful. A lot are going to get caught up in this. FOMO!!!!

I did consider it but then realised its a trap. Had this been an ordinary laptop I would not be considering replacing the guts for 66% of the cost of the original laptop thats only 1 year old.

If you upgrade it every year you are really throwing money down the drain you would not have spent with a normal laptop.

Be careful. A lot are going to get caught up in this. FOMO!!!!
Not upgrading. Just buying new. I have no desire to have an ewaste motherboard sitting around.

I would be interested if framework laptops if they had a 15 or 16 inch version with a 7945HX 16 core with RTX 4070/80 graphics option that I could later upgrade the processor to a 9975 HX 32 core and graphics to a RTX 5070/80 or RTX even 6070/80 later.

I would be interested if framework laptops if they had a 15 or 16 inch version with a 7945HX 16 core with RTX 4070/80 graphics option that I could later upgrade the processor to a 9975 HX 32 core and graphics to a RTX 5070/80 or RTX even 6070/80 later.
16" is coming. AMD versions too. But to daglesj 's point. They may not have the exact hardware you want. With the power efficiency of the 40 series I would be surprised if they didn't make an appearance. VRAM issues withstanding.

This is the issue that Framework will always be fighting against. "I want...insert every single combination including the kitchen sink...!"
I feel like this is not an issue for framework. I feel like this is a benefit for framework. If they can create a modular ecosystem then they are best poised to handle all of the combinations people want (as oppose to other laptops where you are just stuck with whatever combo the manufacturer chose).

I feel like this is not an issue for framework. I feel like this is a benefit for framework. If they can create a modular ecosystem then they are best poised to handle all of the combinations people want (as oppose to other laptops where you are just stuck with whatever combo the manufacturer chose).
No. Support etc. just goes out of the window. More choices actually can mean lower quality. Technology opyions isnt like a restaurant menu, it constantly changes. If you want to offer 3-5 years of solid support you cannot offer everything. Otherwise it's like your phone or laptops from anyone else, you get 6 months of love then "F*ck you!"

This is the issue that Framework will always be fighting against. "I want...insert every single combination including the kitchen sink...!"
Dell solved this a long time ago by removing all ports. "Fixed it!!"

1681428870966.png

Last edited:
Just bought another laptop! Felt the Framework is just too fragile and expensive to take out on work. So I got a refurb Lattitude 7480 with 16GB and 250GB SSD for £150! It's great. Will do just fine and I wont cry if it falls on the floor.

Just bought another laptop! Felt the Framework is just too fragile and expensive to take out on work. So I got a refurb Lattitude 7480 with 16GB and 250GB SSD for £150! It's great. Will do just fine and I wont cry if it falls on the floor.
I can see what you're saying about the assembly. I think mine is fine but I rarely put mine in a situation where could get really damaged. Mine 11th Gen will go to my mother when I order the AMD model later this year.

Probably going to sell my Framework on. The 11th gen doesnt work for me and I'm not pumping more cash into the thing. Will strip out the ram and NVMe and offload it soon.

Basically the £150 Lattitude 7480 works far better.

I got the email for the confirmation of the AMD models. I will be buying the Ryzen 5 later this year and passing the 11th Gen on to my parents. The 11th Gen definitely got snappier with 3200MHz Memory versus the 2666MHz memory. Plenty for casual use. Battery life has stayed steady between 5-6 hours on the 11th gen on the latest BIOS.

Having had mine a year I would recommend anyone holding off another year before buying one.

Still too small, too expensive and still working things out.
Well... too small and too expensive... you kind of know about those 2 before you buy. I'm assuming that if you're buying a 14" laptop that means you want a 14" laptop. I meant what specific issues.

Well... too small and too expensive... you kind of know about those 2 before you buy. I'm assuming that if you're buying a 14" laptop that means you want a 14" laptop. I meant what specific issues.

Well the whole BIOS battery fiasco was badly handled, they dont have the ability to fix or do any major RMA for big faults etc. etc. They had a whole first flawed generation of product and were not wanting to do anything about it until we kept on hammering them. Then they came up with a clunky soldering fix they were not able to do for customers bacuse they are not big enough etc.

The grass always appears greener...

Well the whole BIOS battery fiasco was badly handled, they dont have the ability to fix or do any major RMA for big faults etc. etc. They had a whole first flawed generation of product and were not wanting to do anything about it until we kept on hammering them. Then they came up with a clunky soldering fix they were not able to do for customers bacuse they are not big enough etc.

The grass always appears greener...
I must go pretty easy on mine. I've had no physical issues with mine. My battery life has grown about an hour to 6 with BIOS updates. Which isn't a lot for a modern laptop, granted, but 5 versus 6 is significant in terms of percentage of time gained.

Anyone picking up an AMD version soon? I'm going to try to order a Ryzen 5 Framework 13 in the next month or so.

To me, my favorite "feature" is the ability to "gut" the Framework laptop and turn the old motherboard into usable desktop system. That's very nice.

I haven't bought a new home laptop in quite some time, I tend to always look to "cheap" and "used", but who knows.... (dear boss, I need a raise/bonus)

I just got my AMD 13" with the R5 7640 hex core. I put 16GB of Ebay DDR5 5600 out of probably a Dell or a Lenovo. An old Intel 600P nvme I had laying around. This thing flies. I can't complain at all. The colors are noticeably different from my 11th Gen Intel 13". Not in a bad way just different. Could be the matte screen versus the old glossy. This will last me years. My mother is going to get my 11th gen quad core and it will probably serve her for years.

Battery is currently at 57% and reporting 5hr 20mins left 🤯. That used to be my 11th Gen at 90% charge.

I was having a hard time with the matte screen. I swapped the OG glossy screen from my 11th Gen Intel to my Ryzen. Much happier.

Reactions: uOpt
like this
So the story gets deeper with the AMD Framework. When I first got it I thought the colors were off due to the matte screen on the newer units versus the glossy screen on the older units. I swapped the screen between the two and at first I thought the situation was resolved. Turns out I had just jedi mindtricked myself.

I've noticed that the colors are just oversaturated *at times* with the AMD unit. Everything is fine after a fresh install of 11. But as soon as you install the drivers, shortly after, the colors get jacked.

Both screens look fine on the Intel 11th Gen. So it's not the screens at all. It's in the color profiles, or something. I just don't know when they are pushed or changed on the laptop.

I've got a dialogue going back and forth with Framework about this. It's kind of ridiculous as I've never ever encountered anything like this in my life.

Last edited:
I was having a hard time with the matte screen. I swapped the OG glossy screen from my 11th Gen Intel to my Ryzen. Much happier.
I've had to use glossy screens in office buildings. No thanks. It's headache inducing to try and use a mirror that doubles as a monitor. This is less of an issue at home where you have more control over lighting and your orientation to windows, but the whole point of a laptop is portability and using such a thing away from your house means not always being able to control the environment.

Have you also tried under-volting? Since you're also restricting the maximum clock, the voltage should be able to go quite a bit lower than with boost clocks enabled, resulting in a tidy improvement in battery life.

Back