No Man's Sky - a procedurally generated sand box space exploration game

It is a fun game sort of like a non-blocky Minecraft in space. I was tempted to grab it for Switch, but realized you would not be able to mod it. I cannot play the game without mods, solely because i don't have the patience to wait the what feels like an eternity for scanning stuff.

Yeah, the mod friendly nature is really great, removing the 'hold button' UI stuff increased my enjoyment immeasurably.

Yeah, the mod friendly nature is really great, removing the 'hold button' UI stuff increased my enjoyment immeasurably.

I thought you could turn that off in the menu after a while. Is that not the case? I've always been too lazy to do anything about it, so I just wait. :D

How is this game still pushing out updates? I don't think I've ever seen a developer support their customer base quite like this, at least not without a monthly subscription or multiple paid DLC.
Guess it has one heck of a long tail on sales...

How is this game still pushing out updates? I don't think I've ever seen a developer support their customer base quite like this, at least not without a monthly subscription or multiple paid DLC.
Have you met the guys behind KSP?

Personally I think this ought to be the expected. Support the game until it meets both the vision and as many meaningful bugs are worked out

Wow I can't believe it's been 7 years since since the infamous launch of this game smh.
At least they have gone the extra mile to make this game what it should of been at launch. :)

If only it offered more in the way of substance than just resource gathering and building stuff bc it is mighty impressive how the have evolved it but the core gameplay feels hollow and busy to me

If only it offered more in the way of substance than just resource gathering and building stuff bc it is mighty impressive how the have evolved it but the core gameplay feels hollow and busy to me
They added quite a bit of exploration with the derelict freighter dungeons, a a big bunch of enemy variety in Sentinel and Outlaw, and all the themed stuff from the expeditions.
I think I'd need to completely start fresh to really enjoy the game again though, but I don't want to grind through getting all my equipment slots back.

They added quite a bit of exploration with the derelict freighter dungeons, a a big bunch of enemy variety in Sentinel and Outlaw, and all the themed stuff from the expeditions.
I think I'd need to completely start fresh to really enjoy the game again though, but I don't want to grind through getting all my equipment slots back.
Thanks maybe when I retire I'll make time to play it ( Not being sarcastic here since it does look impressively ambitious. But I've always bounced off it the 4 or 5 times I've tried because my idea of fun is not running around like an interstellar vacuum cleaner to hoover up resources and there was no meaningful interaction with NPCs, and the flight and combat felt too cartoonist to me))

I played it for about an hour 2 years ago and I just couldn't get into it.
I might just give it another go sometime soon since they added so much more shit to it.

How many units of no man sky have sold - is it still selling well to pay for all this support ?

I really should play this game - i mean i started a game and loved it but then they kept updating it and i'm 'fraid to start a new game cause they keep doing major updates....

How do I get into this? I have it and it runs on my Deck, and Starfield looks like a flop.

!: Buy the game
2: Install the game
3: hit Nexus mods for basic UI upgrades
(my list~

Fast Actions

Reduced Launch Cost)

4: Play the game.

90% kidding, but it's not super hard to get into, the tutorial is good.

I've tried to get into this for years but every time I'd get turned off by the resource gathering within the first couple of hours and quit. I just went back a week or so ago and finally managed to enjoy it enough to put 10+ hours into it. I don't know if they changed the resource gathering around or what but getting stuff done feels a LOT better now. I feel like it took 2 hours to get off the first planet when I first tried it out; now it's probably ~30 minutes. And when you run out of fuel you just need some rocks and the blue gems which are everywhere so it's not quite as frustrating as what I remember it being.

I thought I was a badass and picked a fight with the Sentinels only to find that they apparently respawn forever so I hightailed it to my ship to get away only to discover that they'll send fighters after you that will chase you all the way into space. I blew up a couple and managed to lose them in an asteroid field. It was a tense moment and wholly unexpected; made for some enjoyable story telling and emergent gameplay. There have been quite a few other discoveries that have popped up; whether they're scripted to happen at certain points or random encounters they've all been pretty exciting to run across.

NMS on Switch: No Man's Sky's custom FSR 2 support dramatically improves the game​

Hello Games has rolled out FSR 2 upscaling support to all platforms, even the last generation consoles where the headroom to support it is limited. In each case, settings were optimised to the specific platform, but we can't help but wonder whether Hello's Switch implementation could find life elsewhere, perhaps for improved performance on PC integrated graphics.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...-fsr-2-support-dramatically-improves-the-game

We asked Hello Games what its approach was in bringing AMD's temporal supersampling upscaler to Switch and the developer supplied a detail-rich reply:

"When running FSR 2 (in its reference implementation) on a lower-spec system like Switch, bandwidth is by far the main bottleneck. This is mainly due to the considerable number of samples taken in the final temporal upsampling pass. For this reason, most of our efforts were put into replacing some of the hefty sampling filters used by FSR 2 with custom ones that are more lightweight, but still able to provide a high level of quality. This is by far the single most important change we made in terms of performance.

"Furthermore, FSR2 is not implemented in our engine as an external library, rather it's seamlessly integrated into our pipeline. This allowed us to merge some FSR2 passes with our own and amortise their cost in the process. It also enabled us to port some passes from compute to fragment. Compute is a bit limited on Switch (not unusual for an older GPU), so the move gave us a decent performance gain, too. These changes made the bulk of the difference.

"The final few weeks were spent trying to simplify some of the computations to reduce ALU cost and increase occupancy (as by this point bandwidth wasn't the main bottleneck anymore). A lot of time was also spent fine-tuning various heuristics to balance sharpness, stability and ghosting. With our 4.40 update, DRS is also now enabled on Switch. Thanks to DRS, we can maintain a stable GPU load even in more taxing environments, and FSR2 does a really good job at hiding momentary resolution changes. This is crucial, as in No Man's Sky, the performance makeup of a scene can change drastically from planet to planet. So this is it, a short high-level overview of how we ported FSR2 to Switch. There was definitely a lot of head-scratching, and at times we weren't sure it would actually work out, but it was also a great joy and really a lot of fun!"

Man i should really sit down and play this - i started a game - what 3 years ago and i got to an interesting point but then put it down due to other stuff that came up - but all these updates... make me want to play again.

I continue to marvel at the support and evolution of this game.

I think anyone let down by aspects of Starfield really owe it to themselves to finally try this if they haven't already otherwise it might time for a re-visit. :)
So very this. I swear this game is pulling off things that Chris Roberts is still only talking about 'someday'. (SC is shaping up to also be insane, but that's a different game & thread). I'm also probably the weirdo that wishes there were more abandoned planets (less ship traffic and what not). There were times in the early game that I could be the only sentient visible in game, it was weirdly peaceful.

Man i should really sit down and play this - i started a game - what 3 years ago and i got to an interesting point but then put it down due to other stuff that came up - but all these updates... make me want to play again.

You should. No lie, this game is phenomenal. The freedom to do what you want, base building, exploration, the insane soundtrack. Top 10 for me.

I continue to marvel at the support and evolution of this game.

I think anyone let down by aspects of Starfield really owe it to themselves to finally try this if they haven't already otherwise it might time for a re-visit. :)
Already really loved No Man's Sky, not sure i will play the new update, but i may end up. NMS has better base building than Starfield, but I think my main draw for Starfield was the ship building. Also NMS space combat (and combat overall) is below that of Starfield, both of which far pale to Elite:Dangerous.
So give me Elite:Dangerous space combat with Starfield ground combat and ship building, and NMS everything else.

Definately skip on ED's ground combat. I suppose I should try it again one of these days. Although, I hate their stupid special login account where I almost always have to re-confirm it via email.

Figured I would give it a shot on gamepass, I just got to the first space station. It is interesting though a bit micromanagement for me so far. I kind of wish you could get a better feel for what you need. I kept having to harvest, craft, harvest the same thing again since it didn't really track what I was gathering that well. I assume it is still in the teaching process though so who knows.

It isn't really my type of game, never a huge fan of survival or base building games so it will be interesting to see how long I stick with it. I find I pick it up and stop playing every 20 minutes or so once I complete something just due to how tedious it feels.

Back