No Boot Option converting from Legacy to secure boot

Macho

Weaksauce
After going into bios, storage options, converting to UEFI from Legacy to Secure Boot. NO BOOT OPTION on the Windows 10 hard drive.

I see from many other blogs on YouTube, many have had problems such as this for years.

Consider re installing Windows 10, or better yet, Windows 11, even if your processor is not supported, the installation program with not come up with CAN NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 11.

A boot on the live installation disk DVD you created with the .iso file or your USB installation media, will boot.

Put the fresh install on a new HDD and it will work. Then if you want, you can put back the original Windows 10 that had that error message
and it just may boot this time with no error message.

Why this works is not known by mankind yet.

Oops! (*)0ops! Whoooops! in advance if I posted wrongly.

After going into bios, storage options, converting to UEFI from Legacy to Secure Boot. NO BOOT OPTION on the Windows 10 hard drive.

I see from many other blogs on YouTube, many have had problems such as this for years.

Consider re installing Windows 10, or better yet, Windows 11, even if your processor is not supported, the installation program with not come up with CAN NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 11.

A boot on the live installation disk DVD you created with the .iso file or your USB installation media, will boot.

Put the fresh install on a new HDD and it will work. Then if you want, you can put back the original Windows 10 that had that error message
and it just may boot this time with no error message.

Why this works is not known by mankind yet.

Oops! (*)0ops! Whoooops! in advance if I posted wrongly.
If I had to guess, it's because the legacy bootloader is not signed by microsoft, so when secure boot is enabled that option is removed because it's not secure.

When you install windows with secure boot enabled, a signed bootloader is installed in the EFI flash, so now the option is shown on boot. Everything on the original HDD was already signed by microsoft, so it boots successfully into Windows like nothing happened.

If encryption was enabled, the story might be different; I'm not sure it would go so smoothly.

you need to convert to GPT first and then switch to uefi, should fire right up.

Back