Nintendo GameCube Prototype From Space World 2000 Expo is Rediscovered

erek

[H]F Junkie
Pretty tight, ngl

“The prototype is not in working order according to the blog, the author was allowed access to the console's insides and observed: "Nothing is connected, there is a loose PCB, with the name CPU-DJ-X2 that indicates that this is a prototype board there is no CPU or GPU installed, just wires that goes to the LED on top, everything can be removed without screws except the base." The GameCube first launched in September of 2011, for the Japanese market, sporting an IBM PowerPC 750CXe "Gekko" CPU and ATI "Flipper" ArtX-designed GPU (with 3 MB embedded 1T-SRAM functioning as video memory).”

1683478739461.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/308305/...pe-from-space-world-2000-expo-is-rediscovered

So its pretty much an empty display shell.
yeah, i'd be curious if the original chips were engineering samples

replacing them with retail parts may not do it justice if that even makes it go again?

Rally enjoyed the GameCube. It was pushing some crazy graphics back then, especially Resident Evil…

The Gamecube is still my favorite console of all time. The last time Nintendo made a powerful console, and it had a stellar game library. I seriously cannot think of one bad game that was released on the Gamecube. It's a shame it sold poorly. I wonder what Nintendo would look like today had it been the best selling console of its generation instead of the Wii following it.

The Gamecube is still my favorite console of all time. The last time Nintendo made a powerful console, and it had a stellar game library. I seriously cannot think of one bad game that was released on the Gamecube. It's a shame it sold poorly. I wonder what Nintendo would look like today had it been the best selling console of its generation instead of the Wii following it.
I have the 1st generation Wii and it is a GameCube as well.

I have the 1st generation Wii and it is a GameCube as well.
Yes, but that is not my point. Starting with the Wii, Nintendo went in the direction of trying to separate itself from the console wars and selling their systems with unique features. It was immensely successful with the Wii, but they misread the market for second screen experiences with the Wii U. The Switch is basically just a combination of all of their best ideas combined in one system. The Wii's fault was in its library, which in contrast to the Gamecube I remember more for its shovelware.

Yes, but that is not my point. Starting with the Wii, Nintendo went in the direction of trying to separate itself from the console wars and selling their systems with unique features. It was immensely successful with the Wii, but they misread the market for second screen experiences with the Wii U. The Switch is basically just a combination of all of their best ideas combined in one system. The Wii's fault was in its library, which in contrast to the Gamecube I remember more for its shovelware.
Gotcha, I thought the idea of the Wii U was strange and was never even on my radar. I do like the Wii to run all the NES, SNES, N64 emulators though, it does a pretty good job.

Back