Ni No Kuni II

BiH115

Gif Guy
Ni-No-Kuni-II-600x300.png

No love for the new NNK coming out tomorrow? Anyone pre-order (or get the sweet collector's like me?)? Anyone care?!

Pretty excellent reviews overall: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni-no-kuni-2-revenant-kingdom-reviews-roundup/1100-6457504/

I liked the gameplay in the first one but the story and characters were childish and cringey as hell during the first 1/3rd-ish. I had a hard time getting through it.

Any word on if this is the same?

I liked the gameplay in the first one but the story and characters were childish and cringey as hell during the first 1/3rd-ish. I had a hard time getting through it.

Absolutely not, the game is far more fleshed out than the first one. I wouldn't even compare the two games to be completely honest with you.

Skip around this video:

My man.

There's a thread over in PC Gaming for this because it's also coming to PC.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Day One edition on Amazon, after learning that the combat was different from the first game (which I really hated...the combat, not the game as a whole).

Not sure when I will get a chance to play it over MHW but I wanted the Amazon discount.

I never finished the first because the combat fucking pissed me off. Maybe I should go back and try to finish on Easy or something.

I never finished the first because the combat fucking pissed me off. Maybe I should go back and try to finish on Easy or something.

I didn't like the combat myself. Put it on easy just to enjoy the story. I recommend getting some of those Merits, stamps for doing side quests. You can unlock perks like moving faster on the main map or sneaking by enemies is easier.

Last edited:
The opening picture is of a 10 year old (girl?) with fox ears. The animated gif is of some sort of puppet. I dunno... :)

I might check it out, probably wait till it's a few months old and I can pick it up for a lot cheaper.

It's a boy. Have you never seen movies made by Studio Ghibli? This is quite heavily inspired by that (and they worked together on this to be frank). It's quirky, but so is anything out of Japan.

So is Pokémon but I know more adults who play it than kids.

See it almost every direction when I'm in Japan, adults sitting/standing around playing Pokemon on their 3DS's.

Game is a blast. I like it a lot more than the first one. I think the first game had a more interesting story hook, but the second plays so much better. I love the Kingdom building aspect. Its going to drive me to attempt to get every citizen I can and upgrade everything. I love town/city/kingdom building elements in JRPGs.

Didn't get a chance to start this, might give it a go today or tomorrow.

I've heard the story isn't really tied to the first very much, if at all - true?

Didn't get a chance to start this, might give it a go today or tomorrow.

I've heard the story isn't really tied to the first very much, if at all - true?

It is not. I don't remember the first game well enough to say but I think it might be the same world or have some of the same towns and stuff, but not sure.

Been playing it all weekend and our about 15 hours into it. Only complaint is that it is too easy so far. I only game over once fighting those super mobs on the field.

I'm about 10 hours in and enjoying it. I prefer the combat system in the first but this isn't bad.

One thing that's gets me is how much of it is not voiced. Probably 90%. Was the first game like this? I can't recall.

One thing that's gets me is how much of it is not voiced. Probably 90%. Was the first game like this? I can't recall.

The first had awkward changes between voiced to text. It had much more text than voices but not sure I'd say 90% was text.

I'm about 7-8 hours in after this weekend. Really liking the Ghibli touches, and that orchestra is absolutely amazing. Combat is fantastic, but I would agree it's fairly "easy". I took on a group of level 19-20's at level 12 and that felt more on pace. I'd recommend exploring as much as possible before going off to the next quest marker, lot of stuff to be found. EN voices are pretty great too, the British accents fit well with the royal theme in my opinion, but I prefer the JP voices this time around again. Wish there was an option to increase the text size of the field chatter between your characters (far too small sitting 6 feet away, on a 65" TV @ 4K resolution).

I tried to play/like the first one... but that game is made for 7 year olds.
shrug. Im almost 40, grew up on studio ghibli, the nostalgia factor itself made me love the first game. I wouldnt disagree it was like a my first jRPG game, but im not a fan of jRPGs in general, so i enjoyed its pace.

Started tonight...pretty good so far. Combat doesn't suck horrible ass like the first one.

The pacing at the beginning seemed weird...loss of stuff happening, strange cuts in music and then dialogue with only partial voiceover. I dunno, not bad, just odd.

Looking forward to playing more. It does seem easy so far.

Edit: Anyone noticed stuttering on the overworld? Also, how do you get the pre-order swords? I redeemed the code but they never showed up?

Last edited:
Started tonight...pretty good so far. Combat doesn't suck horrible ass like the first one.

The pacing at the beginning seemed weird...loss of stuff happening, strange cuts in music and then dialogue with only partial voiceover. I dunno, not bad, just odd.

Looking forward to playing more. It does seem easy so far.

Edit: Anyone noticed stuttering on the overworld? Also, how do you get the pre-order swords? I redeemed the code but they never showed up?

The switching from voice to text is a bit odd, but it's not enough to be a hindrance.

When you get to Cloudcoil Canyon, the merchant with the animal will sell them to you after he gives you the leafbook. They cost 1 guilder each. They're ok, but you'll out level them fast. I think you get the Dragon Tooth Sword after getting your Kingmaker, from the same merchant.

The switching from voice to text is a bit odd, but it's not enough to be a hindrance.

When you get to Cloudcoil Canyon, the merchant with the animal will sell them to you after he gives you the leafbook. They cost 1 guilder each. They're ok, but you'll out level them fast. I think you get the Dragon Tooth Sword after getting your Kingmaker, from the same merchant.

Gotcha, thanks.

Yeah, the lack of dialogue doesn't bother me too much, it's more just the weird cuts between music playing and then a cutscene where it goes silent but there's no dialogue, just text. Seems like the music could just keep playing through the text sequences.

I really enjoyed the style and environment of the first one, but never finished it. Maybe because it was just too grindy for me. But once I finish Far Cry 5 and FFXV I plan on picking this up. Hoping we see a third one some day.

I really enjoyed the style and environment of the first one, but never finished it. Maybe because it was just too grindy for me.

For me it was 100% the combat. I tried to find some tips and tricks on how to make it better, but never could...lol.

For me it was 100% the combat. I tried to find some tips and tricks on how to make it better, but never could...lol.

Same. I ended up just watching a let's play of the game a couple years back because I really liked the story and characters but really didn't like the combat system. I freaking love the combat in this one, but they really need a difficulty option.

Same. I ended up just watching a let's play of the game a couple years back because I really liked the story and characters but really didn't like the combat system. I freaking love the combat in this one, but they really need a difficulty option.

It just kinda feels...shallow, in this one. Either you steamroll everything or you get two-shot by something much higher level. Doesn't seem to be a ton of strategy other than spam your most powerful moves.

There are different elements but the game never explained them (so far, anyway) and some of the monsters seem to have different symbols, but I have no clue what they mean.

I am not super far in, though...heading for the Wyvern Nest.

It just kinda feels...shallow, in this one. Either you steamroll everything or you get two-shot by something much higher level. Doesn't seem to be a ton of strategy other than spam your most powerful moves.

There are different elements but the game never explained them (so far, anyway) and some of the monsters seem to have different symbols, but I have no clue what they mean.

I am not super far in, though...heading for the Wyvern Nest.

As you get more used to the combat it does expand a bit and you'll learn how to take on stronger creatures without worrying about dying fast. The game does a bad job of explaining some things. Like food. Food items are vital id you want to take on a super strong creature (you'll run into those in a couple hours). There is also the Tactics Tweaker that will unlock eventually and allow you to tweak some things. Those symbols come into play with the tweaker. Its a pity the game is so easy a lot of the time because it could be really fun to play with all the Tactics Tweaker settings to take on bosses, but its just not worth it. For other strong creatures its nice when you're under-leveled, but pretty unneeded beyond that.

I'm getting near 30 hours. Though I've spent probably 6-7 hours messing with kingdom building stuff and waiting for things to finishing, waiting for money to do stuff, and so on. The RTS-lite stuff is also pretty fun, but it relies a bit too much on levels as if you're under-leveled by even 1 or 2 levels you're in big trouble.

Well. The game got hard all of a sudden. I'm nearly getting my ass kicked quite a bit in battles now. Even after doing a ton of side-quests and stuff. I ended up under leveled for an area and the creatures require some work to beat. This is a nice change of pace. Though some advice: No not make a beeline through the game without some leveling because the game will kick your ass, hard. if yo go to a new story areas and see the outside monsters have bright red names on them, turn around and level up. I bypassed some level 47s on my way to this part of the game and holy crap. The dungeon monsters are pretty on par with the outside ones. And I'm 10 levels below some of them and yikes.

I have no problem fighting enemies / doing all side quests and whatnot, but are you saying you have to basically go back and grind levels? Because that would be pretty lame.

I have no problem fighting enemies / doing all side quests and whatnot, but are you saying you have to basically go back and grind levels? Because that would be pretty lame.
wouldn't that be standard M/O for a JRPG?

Well. The game got hard all of a sudden. I'm nearly getting my ass kicked quite a bit in battles now. Even after doing a ton of side-quests and stuff. I ended up under leveled for an area and the creatures require some work to beat. This is a nice change of pace. Though some advice: No not make a beeline through the game without some leveling because the game will kick your ass, hard. if yo go to a new story areas and see the outside monsters have bright red names on them, turn around and level up. I bypassed some level 47s on my way to this part of the game and holy crap. The dungeon monsters are pretty on par with the outside ones. And I'm 10 levels below some of them and yikes.
I didn't find most red level monster to be much of an issue either. Most off the red mob encouters include 1 higt level mobs. The rest in the pack are lower typically. The game is just not hard. Granted at this point I am very over levered cause I did most quest and ran around areas I shouldn't have been when I got the airship. Once you learn their patterns it is really easy to avoid their attacks. Sure you going to get stomped if you Rambo it. I even beat some of the black aura mobs that were 10 levels higher. The Skrimage battles on the other had reck me lol.

Regular enemies 10 levels above you aren't too big of a deal, especially if you use the Tactics Tweaker. The large enemies can put a hurt on you if you're not careful though. And of course Tainted enemies higher level usually pose a big challenge. If you are someone who just runs though the story only doing whats required you are going to have a hard time. A lot of the extra stuff like castle building and the sidequests all funnel towards making your guys stronger, faster, better. And some of it is required to progress the story later in the game. At the start of the game I put points into Tactics Tweaker to gain extra experience and through exploring, sidequests, and main story I was at or above level for most of it. I have yet to just wander around killing stuff just to boost my levels for the next area.

Back