NFS Hot Pursuit, F1 2010, or some better alternative?

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Just finishing a little upgrade to my system, and I'd like some nice racers to put it thru its paces. I've got DiRT 3, which I enjoy, and I've played thru NFS Shift, which I also enjoyed. I tried out F1 2010, but it looked shockingly low-res and aliased for a Codemasters game. Not sure what was going with that. I have heard that Hot Pursuit has some similar visual issues, and no AA options.

Is there some way to force-fix these games, or should I just look elsewhere? Any recommendations for other racing games that look good in HD, and can provide a few months of diversion?

Hmm, I didn't have any problems with Hot Pursuit. It looked and ran great.

I've been playing GRID recently. It's by Codemasters and looks amazing, especially considering it was made in 2008. There are some fan-made graphics mods for it, too.

Aside from those, Shift 2, Split/Second, and Test Drive Unlimited 2 are about it for good-looking PC racers. Maybe Blur? Unfortunately, I'm not sure any of them will provide a few months of gameplay.

Ah, thanks. Guess I'll have to give it another go. Did it have AA settings in-game, or did you set them manually thru your cards? Also, did you give F1 2010 a try?

I don't recall if it had AA settings. I just maxed whatever settings there were and it looked fine to me.

Never tried F1 2010; I'm not big on sim racing.

+1 GRID For its date, the game looks very nice and the car damage effects are awesome. The only thing I wish the game had was some car customization other than picking a team racing color.

F1 2010 is as hard or as easy as you choose to make and I'm a big fan of it. Unfortunately if you run it on non-ATI hardware it seems to suffer, as the HardOCP crew have demonstrated over and over using it as a benchmark.

A 570 should be able to make it look pretty damn good though. Unfortunately the menu system can be difficult to figure out but there are plenty of tweaks that should make it look awesome.

F1 2010 is as hard or as easy as you choose to make and I'm a big fan of it. Unfortunately if you run it on non-ATI hardware it seems to suffer, as the HardOCP crew have demonstrated over and over using it as a benchmark.

A 570 should be able to make it look pretty damn good though. Unfortunately the menu system can be difficult to figure out but there are plenty of tweaks that should make it look awesome.
Thanks for that. So, you had no issues with aliasing or image quality?

F1 2010 has a lot of ugly arse filters to make everything look brown and hazy. I turned them off an it helped a lot. Have a look half way down this page and see if you like the look of it...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1502001&page=26

The screens look a bit aliased, probably because I turned AA off for performance reasons.

Pics with no HDR and ugly filters...

f120101.jpg

f120102.jpg

f120103.jpg

f120104.jpg

F1 2010 has a lot of ugly arse filters to make everything look brown and hazy. I turned them off an it helped a lot. Have a look half way down this page and see if you like the look of it...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1502001&page=26

The screens look a bit aliased, probably because I turned AA off for performance reasons.
I'll definitely give it another try. Those screen shots looked fantastic. I must have been missing something. Also, thanks for that link. A lot of good info!

Stay away from Split/Second, it is a poorly done PC port. I made it halfway through the game and then my save game got corrupted. Others have had this and other framerate problems. Buyer beware.

The new Hot Pursuit is fun. I enjoy the MP (don't plan on doing the SP).

I just dislike the facebook wanabe Autolog system implemented in the game. Not being able to text chat or use voice is a real bummer as well. Aside from that the game is fun, but match making makes it a drag for finding servers. It's a big game of marco polo as match making is restricted to one gametype AND class at a time.

I'm usally able to find a server for the game. The pursuits are normally fun and challenging. Be aware there are some rage quitters who exit seconds before getting nabbed. But when they do you get the win anyway.

Awesome. Hey, I have a quick question. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to enable 4XAA in this game, and I keep finding posts about these old NVIDIA drivers 266.44 that apparently allowed the in-game settings to be forced through the Control Panel. It would make sense that the newer drivers would still allow this, but maybe I'm missing something? I can't seem to get it to work. :(

Edit: Nevermind, got it!

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, i picked up F1 2010 and Grid during the summer sale. Own dirt 3 already and i Highly recommend it Purple_haze. If u enjoy rally, then it wont let you down

Another in for F1 2010, just get a good wheel. Play with the settings. It looks razor sharp on my i7-930/6950.

how about dirt 3?
I do enjoy DiRT 3. Definitely a visual sight, and a good skim-sim to jump right into.

Thanks to this thread, i picked up F1 2010 and Grid during the summer sale. Own dirt 3 already and i Highly recommend it Purple_haze. If u enjoy rally, then it wont let you down
Haha, that's great. I'm glad this thread was of good use to someone else!

Another in for F1 2010, just get a good wheel. Play with the settings. It looks razor sharp on my i7-930/6950.
Will do, thanks! If anyone else is looking for other opinions on games, they can feel free to threadjack, here. I might post some other inquiries, later, myself. Very helpful so far. :D

Last edited:
Back