Next Gen PC Technology Checklist?

Hate to admit it as a PC-only gamer, but your goal is to meet next gen console specs (and technologies):

Screen:
60~120hz
VRR
HDR

PC:
8 core/16 thread (i7-10700 or Ryzen 7 5800X)
16GB Ram
1TB Nvme hard drive (fast loading technology)
20 terraflops worth of (ray-traced technology) GPUs (RTX 2080S, RTX 3070, 6800XT)
650W+ power supply (minimums per GPU specs)

sad thing is, gonna take you at least $1,500+ to do that, which is why PC gaming is falling behind/dying overtime. The average PC gamer is rockin’ specs equivalent to consoles 2 generations old (just see Steam hardware survey).
Maybe for some games we will see, because for some games a Ryzen 3600 + 2060 Super is performing better than the latest console, I feel like a 5060 + 3060TI should be comfortably equal/ahead outside load time has long has the game is not a terrible port.

Has for PC gaming dying how hard it is to buy a video card right now or an cpu popular among gamers do not seem to collaborate that sentiment at all, it is behind but was it not always the case, since the Nintendo days ?

They are now both behind mobile and free to play gaming:
Consoles account for 30% of the 2019 global gaming market at $45.3 billion.1 PCs fall slightly behind with 24% market share or $35.3 billion.2 Mobile, which we’ll discuss shortly, represents the biggest market with 46% share or $68.2 billion

I would not be surprised if in 2020 PC gaming was historically closer to consoles than average:

https://gamasutra.com/ckfinder/userfiles/Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 3_43_45 PM.png

PC does it with much more games but still, it does feel way more popular now than in the PS2 days or SNES days.

Main thing I think for me is the final removal of all those legacy 32bit requirements that are still holding things back. Like the addressable RAM videocard situation.

I expect that with more PCI-E lanes more devices that utulize the high bandwidth are gonna be coming out. Newer NVME chipsets (like the sabrent rocket 4 Plus) and higher quality nand is gonna make NVME the more dominant force when it comes to storage. Videocards and other devices are gonna fill up those slots, like 4k120 capture cards and the like. Also I expect ram requirements are gonna balloon soon thanks to ram getting cheaper - but we'll see what happens with DDR5.

I think 2020 was more of a transition year when it comes to hardware and the next leap is gonna be a pretty big one.

As to who needs/wants 8k gaming? Me. I do. I hate jaggies and 4k still has em. I want a native resolution high enough that there are no jaggies.

Hate to admit it as a PC-only gamer
These "PC gaming is dying" posts always crop up at the beginning of a new console generation. Console hardware is a deal because they are heavily subsidized to the point they sell at a loss, to make back the profit later on with predatory tactics like charging 50 bucks a year so you can play games online.

After you build a gaming PC, you can immediately play on it the thousands of PC Games you've purchased over the past 25 years. All working with perfect or almost perfect compatibility, mod support, ultra widescreen support, free multiplayer, frequent sales and nothing like 70US games or 50US multiplayer subscription fees.

If you look at the short term the console hardware is no doubt a steal - but long term over the course of a generation you will get way more bang for your buck from the PC platform. (obviously this won't apply to everyone, consoles have their place and are great for many types of gamers, esp casual gamers. No doubt the new consoles are excellent pieces of hardware)
IjYVKVi.jpg

Maybe for some games we will see, because for some games a Ryzen 3600 + 2060 Super is performing better than the latest console, I feel like a 5060 + 3060TI should be comfortably equal/ahead outside load time has long has the game is not a terrible port.

Has for PC gaming dying how hard it is to buy a video card right now or an cpu popular among gamers do not seem to collaborate that sentiment at all, it is behind but was it not always the case, since the Nintendo days ?

They are now both behind mobile and free to play gaming:
Consoles account for 30% of the 2019 global gaming market at $45.3 billion.1 PCs fall slightly behind with 24% market share or $35.3 billion.2 Mobile, which we’ll discuss shortly, represents the biggest market with 46% share or $68.2 billion

I would not be surprised if in 2020 PC gaming was historically closer to consoles than average:

https://gamasutra.com/ckfinder/userfiles/Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 3_43_45 PM.png

PC does it with much more games but still, it does feel way more popular now than in the PS2 days or SNES days.

The rising cost of AAA gaming and the requirement now to sell as many copies as possible to justify the financial and human capital investment in them thus requiring multi-platform releases has given us the point where for all intents and purposes a PC is a console and a console is a PC. Outside of niche items (exclusives, Japanese centric games on Playstation, RTS or turn based strategy on the PC). There's really no functional difference at the end of the day for most people. This is why you see those numbers converging.

Back in the 80's or even the 90's there was a massive difference in the types of games that were on, or could even actually be done, on a PC vs a console vs an arcade cabinet. That hasn't been true since the PS3/Xbox360 era and the difference between the two consoles and the PC both in terms of library and physical hardware has been narrowing ever since at an ever increasing rate.

The issue is less and less "what games do you want to play" and more "what do you want to play it on", and with the gap in platforms getting closer and closer to 0 PC/Xbox/PS are for all intents and purposes now the same damn thing.

but your goal is to meet next gen console specs (and technologies):
To add to the previous post about a 5600x with a 3060Ti being enough:

When there is no raytracing and on a title that run much better on AMD than NVidia it become more competitive but it look like a 3060ti would again be more powerful (and a little less than that on the AMD side)

Extremely impressive at the price point obviously (specially if it is not do a buy a video card on my already ok computer but do I build one), but it does not seem like you will need something has powerful than a 3070 or let alone a 6800xt to keep up (or a 5800x).

Back