Newly Installed RAM Showing Lower Available Memory

Mosie100

Limp Gawd
Just installed 2 x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz RAM into my new build.
For some reason in system information it's showing that I only have 27.5 GB Available Physical Memory even though it says 32.0 GB is installed.
I have them installed in the 2 and 4 slot (light gray), in my Asus Z-390 A Prime Mobo.
Any help or advice on this would be most appreciated. I've attached multiple screenshots (system info, cpu-z and hwmonitor) to show you how it appears.
Thanks!

Attachments

• cpu-z.png
    cpu-z.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • hw-monitor.png
    hw-monitor.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
  • system info.png
    system info.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Does Task Manager (Performance Tab, Memory) inform of any reservation? I left a screen shot of mine. My first guess was that it was possible that there was not any disable to the iGPU? I think Task Manager may provide some insight first with hardware reservation, if any. Because I see a 1.5GB difference available difference with your mapping which makes me think this.

Also to note, you are running at 1066 (2133 DDR), and not at least 2666, or even the RAM's 3200 possible max. Assuming, fix one thing first before moving on to the next, or didn't set XMP for a reason.

Attachments

• MemReservation.png
    MemReservation.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
Does Task Manager (Performance Tab, Memory) inform of any reservation? I left a screen shot of mine. My first guess was that it was possible that there was not any disable to the iGPU? I think Task Manager may provide some insight first with hardware reservation, if any. Because I see a 1.5GB difference available difference with your mapping which makes me think this.

Also to note, you are running at 1066 (2133 DDR), and not at least 2666, or even the RAM's 3200 possible max. Assuming, fix one thing first before moving on to the next, or didn't set XMP for a reason.
Thanks Shikami, I'm habe to go into bios now and enable xmp right for unlocking that right?
Here's the attachment, I have a ton of apps open right now because I'm in the middle of work so hope that doesn't derail this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
Open resource monitor and select the memory tab. The total amount and where the other memory are being allocated. Likely they are designated to the standby and modified for cached.

It'll look something like this.
1603737774214.png

Open resource monitor and select the memory tab. The total amount and where the other memory are being allocated. Likely they are designated to the standby and modified for cached.

It'll look something like this.
View attachment 292838
Bingo --- stuck in cached.... Can I do something about this to make sure I'm using all the RAM possible? Or does it even matter?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
In Task Manager you can see you are all good. All 32GB is mapped, in use, and being used properly. You want that cache. The point of having more is to cache, and allocate easily between more applications rather than swap out and not cache much.

Your usable 27.5 is what is mapped. There is always a bit of a memory hole with a system, and Asus boards can have a little more with their ASIC's they use maps little more in the PCI hole. You cannot use that area as system available because it is memory mapped and I/O addresses.

Nothing to worry about

This is what I mean about the PCI hole. You can see that I have less reserved than you have and therefore have a 32GB instead of your 31.9GB. Asus has a tendency to have more devices than necessary with their boards, especially monitoring ASIC's. This causes a little "less" memory for system availability due to reserving the addresses used. This is how computers work and not much to worry about.

Attachments

• 32GB Mem.png
    32GB Mem.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
In Task Manager you can see you are all good. All 32GB is mapped, in use, and being used properly. You want that cache. The point of having more is to cache, and allocate easily between more applications rather than swap out and not cache much.

Your usable 27.5 is what is mapped. There is always a bit of a memory hole with a system, and Asus boards can have a little more with there ASIC's they uses maps little more in the PCI hole. You cannot use that area as system available because it is memory mapped and I/O addresses.

Nothing to worry about
Thank you !!

As for the Mhz, I went into my Bios and set it up to the first XMP profile and now the speed is at 3200 Mhz. Is that what you were suggesting?

Yes
If all is stable then hey......three chords and the truth

As Shikami stated you don't want to clear out the cache because they are useful for your software. This is where software like games and outlook store their quick access content. If it's cleared the application or game will feel slow and sluggish because it has to relocate the content. But if you really wanted to clear it you could. The below link is the steps on how to clear your standby memory.

https://windowsreport.com/standby-memory/

Back