new to VR and looking for purchase recommendations

I had not had the chance to get back to this thread and I see there has been lots of really good info posted.

I did get a chance to try out a friends Quest 2. I have the questionable fortune of having an unusually large head. I cannot go to the store to buy a hat, they don't fit! It was definitely snug on my head. I have seen statements about there being other straps available, could that fix this problem?

As for the sound quality, I have a very good set of Bluetooth earbuds. Would that work, or might I experience latency/sync issues?

I see ok without glasses, but am better off with them. Does one system work better than others for this? Or better yet, have adjustable focus for each eye built in like binoculars do?

There was an issue with some of the games requiring a person to be standing while playing them. I have MS, I can stand for very short periods of time. There was a seated point of view option for at least one game. Is this something that can be configured in all games?

I was not hugely impressed with the image quality or the wideness of the field of view. What is better in that respect? I am using a large screen 4K monitor. The 60hz refresh has never bothered me. I have found that the resolution of the image is much more important to me than the frame rate. I guess it's just a personal taste thing.

thanks for all the help so far!

You can play pretty much any game seated, though some you will have the perspective of only being that tall. Others give you the option of setting height in-game. Most work well with glasses provided you don't have large frames, and there are available replacement lenses for some headsets that are prescription strength. There are multiple head straps available for the Quest 2, a quick google search should find what you're looking for.

Wider FOV headsets are the Valve Index and the Pimax line along with the Vive Pro 2. If you're after wide FOV (~180-200 deg) and high res, the Pimax 8k/8kx are the best in that range, you'd have to check those forums for info on glasses/large head fitment. Index is less FOV (~125) and res, Vive Pro 2 has high res but even less FOV (~115). For reference, the Quest 2 usually measures 95-105 deg. IMO, having tried an Index and my Odyssey+ measuring around 110-115 with the facial interface removed so it almost touches my eyelashes, over 120 has diminishing returns, but everyone has different preferences.

Last edited:
I had not had the chance to get back to this thread and I see there has been lots of really good info posted.

I did get a chance to try out a friends Quest 2. I have the questionable fortune of having an unusually large head. I cannot go to the store to buy a hat, they don't fit! It was definitely snug on my head. I have seen statements about there being other straps available, could that fix this problem?

As for the sound quality, I have a very good set of Bluetooth earbuds. Would that work, or might I experience latency/sync issues?

I see ok without glasses, but am better off with them. Does one system work better than others for this? Or better yet, have adjustable focus for each eye built in like binoculars do?

There was an issue with some of the games requiring a person to be standing while playing them. I have MS, I can stand for very short periods of time. There was a seated point of view option for at least one game. Is this something that can be configured in all games?

I was not hugely impressed with the image quality or the wideness of the field of view. What is better in that respect? I am using a large screen 4K monitor. The 60hz refresh has never bothered me. I have found that the resolution of the image is much more important to me than the frame rate. I guess it's just a personal taste thing.

In my experience, any headset that do not fit right, is not comfortable in other words, uneven weight etc. Becomes an intolerable experience that becomes something you won't think or waste time with.

My head is also big but can find hats that fit, you might want to measure your IPD, distance between each pupil of your eyes, center to center. Mine is 69 but in the VivePro 2 using their vertical and horizontal line alignment IPD setting I get best results at 69.5. Improper IPD setting makes one look at VR cross eyed to align up the two images, lose clarity and for me leads to headaches after an hour or so in VR, proper IPD I go hours literally up to 6. Anyways the Quest 2 IPD range is limited up to 68, for me that would be pushing it and you might want to verify that would work for you. In the Vive Pro 2, the best implementation for adjusting IPD has feedback right in the headset with vertical and horizontal lines where you adjust the IPD for the best clarity and least strain to eyes. The Odesey + was just a mechanical knob if I remember right but worked. Quest 2 adjustment is in this link and looks to be very poor:
https://www.thegamer.com/oculus-quest-2-ipd-guide/

Edit: Here is a person with a very large IPD experience asking about the G2 limited IPD range:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/comments/pscqgf/thinking_of_buying_a_reverb_g2_but_ipd_is_7071/

As for sound, yes your earbuds will probably make you very happy. If it was easy, I would rip off the ear pieces on my Vive Pro or Vive Pro 2 and use my Bose Earbuds, while probably not that hard I don't want to have another cable tied to the headset cable for the Vive solution, Quest 2 having an earplug would make this a no brainer. Bluetooth buds you just have to try to see if latency if any is ok with you.

Seated position for VR I find very much engaging for FS 2020 and Dirt 2 (Car games), While some games would work best standing so you have a more natural movement for actions, it is not needed in most games. Some like Beat Saber or games like it, I just don't see sitting in that game would be effective but with a good chair and rollers, who knows. If you will be spending more time seating vice standing, then having a wireless headset, which require frequent charging would not be needed. Now when I was working 12 hour + shifts, coming home and dancing around standing in VR was the furthest thing on my mind wanting to do. Now opportunity allows that and I like it.

As for glasses, headsets like the Vive Pro and 2 make very good accomodation, except you will lose FOV since the VR lenses will be further away from your eyes. I would recommend custom lenses for the headset to be made for them. You can obtain them here:
https://widmovr.com/

As for the FOV, I like the VivePro 2 increase FOV, especially in simulators. It feels more natural and comfortable to look at. Still that does not mean you can just do eye movement and have a sharp image, if you turn your eyes in the VivePro 2, the sides will be blurry, looking straight ahead and to a certain amount to the sides it looks good. Limitation of VR, meaning turning your head more than you would naturally do, which if you are constantly flipping your head around -> for some, headaches, nausea, bla feeling. Just move your head around to look at things in the real world while keeping your eyes still, do that for a few hours in an highly changing environment and if one does not feel uncomfortable you're probably not human, anyways I think FOV is very important for comfort and most headsets, including the Vive Pro 2 115 or so is not enough (compromise). Then you have the G2 at 90, for some maybe that is OK.

As for image quality, I am being blown away in Alyx with the Vive Pro 2, Wow! First time I've been really impressed in VR for a long period of time. I don't think I can go back with the screen door effect in lesser resolution headsets, in that game the headset comes through. Going to text and high contrast content, the glare of headset becomes distracting. Anyways you will be making some sort of compromise whatever headset you choose and getting the most out of it, your the best person to pick what is best for you.

Last edited:

With a larger head I think a halo strap works best, you support more with your forehead, head band and back of head instead of eye socket like the default straps.

Not sure if Q2 supports BT earbuds, never felt the need to use headphones with it to be honest.

Q2 default is okay with glasses, but if you're worried your glasses will scratch the lens you can get prescription lens to replace the default ones.

60Hz on VR will make you super nauseous, don't try it. Even at 72Hz it's really bad, 90Hz for me is tolerable.

As for seated games, I think most PCVR games support that, though you might get motion sickness from that.

IIRC Quest 2 does technically support BT headphones, as in you can pair them to quest and they do play audio, but they can interfere with controllers that are also connected via BT. Also there can be latency issues and stutters. It is better to stick with wired.

Own both the G2 and Q2.

Got the G2 in January. Only bought the Q2 about a month ago with the updated version.

If I had to pick only one, it would definitely be the Q2. Absolutely loving not having a wire, and the controller tracking is far better. Also just returned from a 2.5 week business trip, and brought the Q2 with me since it's so small and doesn't require external equipment. Awesome being able to bring such a capable gaming device wherever you go. Bought Vader Immortal and The Climb during my trip, enjoyed both with no PC required.

Just got virtual desktop today, and it is working phenomenally with a $40 refurbished Nighthawk AC router I grabbed off Walmart a few weeks ago just for Q2 wireless. Played some HL: Alyx and Lone Echo. Despite the res being lower, I find it more enjoyable with no wire and the better tracking the Q2 offers.

Own both the G2 and Q2.

Got the G2 in January. Only bought the Q2 about a month ago with the updated version.

If I had to pick only one, it would definitely be the Q2. Absolutely loving not having a wire, and the controller tracking is far better. Also just returned from a 2.5 week business trip, and brought the Q2 with me since it's so small and doesn't require external equipment. Awesome being able to bring such a capable gaming device wherever you go. Bought Vader Immortal and The Climb during my trip, enjoyed both with no PC required.

Just got virtual desktop today, and it is working phenomenally with a $40 refurbished Nighthawk AC router I grabbed off Walmart a few weeks ago just for Q2 wireless. Played some HL: Alyx and Lone Echo. Despite the res being lower, I find it more enjoyable with no wire and the better tracking the Q2 offers.
One thing I've seen some people harp on with the Q2 is getting a headstrap with a powerbank holder at the back, then strap on some 10000mAh or even 20k and plug it in. Better balance AND longer gaming sessions.

I haven't needed to do it myself since VR is just such a workout already, I can barely handle hour-long sessions.

One thing I've seen some people harp on with the Q2 is getting a headstrap with a powerbank holder at the back, then strap on some 10000mAh or even 20k and plug it in. Better balance AND longer gaming sessions.

I haven't needed to do it myself since VR is just such a workout already, I can barely handle hour-long sessions.
Yeah battery powered is certainly one con of the Q2, as there have been many times I've played until it shuts down.

I actually find the Q2 perfectly fine even in games like Beat Saber and Eleven Table Tennis where I'm really moving around, doesn't slip or feel out of balance at all. I do use the silicone cover though, which makes it stick to your face better I think. The Reverb G2 definitely feels better/more premium in the way it fits and clamps to my face, but the Q2 is just fine for me without getting an aftermarket strap. But yeah it's nice these options are available, and you're still going to be under the price of other headsets even if you add several accessories.

Yeah battery powered is certainly one con of the Q2, as there have been many times I've played until it shuts down.

I actually find the Q2 perfectly fine even in games like Beat Saber and Eleven Table Tennis where I'm really moving around, doesn't slip or feel out of balance at all. I do use the silicone cover though, which makes it stick to your face better I think. The Reverb G2 definitely feels better/more premium in the way it fits and clamps to my face, but the Q2 is just fine for me without getting an aftermarket strap. But yeah it's nice these options are available, and you're still going to be under the price of other headsets even if you add several accessories.

I think that the Q2's 2-hour endurance is plenty for VR, it's just they should really up the charging rate. 18W is not cutting it, takes way too long to full charge it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: noko
like this
I just have a flat 10000mah battery pack in my pocket. 😅 Yeah having yet another cable dangling out of the headset is annoying but it has not caused any problems so far.

Reactions: noko
like this
How the f are you guys lasting more than an hour in these VR games? After 30 mins of ETT I'm wiped, it's like a real HIIT workout for me...

How the f are you guys lasting more than an hour in these VR games? After 30 mins of ETT I'm wiped, it's like a real HIIT workout for me...

Sitting down on my fat ass on a nice comfy couch. :D Well, at least for games that do not require me to lean down and pick stuff from the floor etc... I do not play that many physically demanding games except for Thrill Of The Fight for some cardio workout. But for stand up games like anything where I need to use a sword and bow (Skyrim VR, Blade and Sorcery) I do not find them particularly physically demanding, at worst my feet may get tired from standing. But games like No Mans Sky can be played sitting down perfectly and I can lose myself into that world for hours.

When I get into VR, rarely is it less than 2 hours. Been in for over 8 hours at times. If the headset fits right, comfortable and balance, fits like a very high quality glove, high frame rates/consistent, bla bla bla you just don't think about being in VR, your just interacting.

When I get into VR, rarely is it less than 2 hours. Been in for over 8 hours at times. If the headset fits right, comfortable and balance, fits like a very high quality glove, high frame rates/consistent, bla bla bla you just don't think about being in VR, your just interacting.

Exactly. I guess it's the type of games I play, they tend to be very physically interactive. Even games like Onward tires me out after an hour or so, playing with a gunstock.

Sitting down on my fat ass on a nice comfy couch. :D Well, at least for games that do not require me to lean down and pick stuff from the floor etc... I do not play that many physically demanding games except for Thrill Of The Fight for some cardio workout. But for stand up games like anything where I need to use a sword and bow (Skyrim VR, Blade and Sorcery) I do not find them particularly physically demanding, at worst my feet may get tired from standing. But games like No Mans Sky can be played sitting down perfectly and I can lose myself into that world for hours.

I completely forgot sitting VR exists. Do you get motion sick when playing sitting?

Exactly. I guess it's the type of games I play, they tend to be very physically interactive. Even games like Onward tires me out after an hour or so, playing with a gunstock.

I completely forgot sitting VR exists. Do you get motion sick when playing sitting?

I do not get motion sick at all, not anymore. I used to couple of years back but slowly managed to desensitize myself against it.

What?

I play without headphones, it's very usable without. Headphones are a luxury.

Q2 supports AirLink, which is completely free. There's 0 need for a cable. Latency is extremely low provided you have a good WiFI router, but I have actually used it along with my phone's AC WiFi hotspot and it works, though latency can be spotty in that case.

The included strap is also usable, and if you're gonna buy a new strap it's stupid to not go 3rd party. Better straps can be had for less than $10...
https://www.amazon.com/Ermorgen-Com...keywords=quest+2+strap&qid=1632375258&sr=8-37
https://www.amazon.com/Head-Strap-F...keywords=quest+2+strap&qid=1632375195&sr=8-15

Why wouldn't you buy the 128GB version? The amount of storage is plenty if you play only a few Quest 2 specific games, and using it for PCVR you don't even need storage.

Don't talk shit about it until you've used it, I would say. In fact, with the G2, you already have 2 huge compromises. 120Hz feels far better than anything else the G2 can offer, plus no cables. Better comfort you can get with a new headstrap, better sound you can get with decent headphones, and the total will still be cheaper than the vanilla g2.
I'm going to hard disagree about the supplied strap being usable. Sure, it holds it on to your head with a reasonable about of comfort . . . at first. But it puts all the weight of the headset forward, which causes tremendous neck strain. It gave me serious neck pain and headaches. I bought the Quest 2 Elite strap with the battery, and that eliminated the problem because the weight was balanced.

I suppose you could add some kind of counterweight to the back of the default strap and it would work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to hard disagree about the supplied strap being usable. Sure, it holds it on to your head with a reasonable about of comfort . . . at first. But it puts all the weight of the headset forward, which causes tremendous neck strain. It gave me serious neck pain and headaches. I bought the Quest 2 Elite strap with the battery, and that eliminated the problem because the weight was balanced.

I suppose you could add some kind of counterweight to the back of the default strap and it would work.

You can play the Q2 with it, that's usable. Nobody said it would be comfortable, and corners have to be cut somewhere. Plus, with the default run time of about 2 hours the default strap does "fine".

You can play the Q2 with it, that's usable. Nobody said it would be comfortable, and corners have to be cut somewhere. Plus, with the default run time of about 2 hours the default strap does "fine".
The included strap might work fine for more sedate games where you're not moving your head much or quickly, but using it with a game like Pistol Whip where you're constantly ducking and twisting and looking around will almost certainly jack up your neck. It did mine for sure. I had to completely stop using the Q2 until I got the new strap; it took a couple of weeks for the neck pain to clear up.

There is no denying the included strap is terrible ergonomically. Sticking an unbalanced weight on your face will unavoidably cause neck strain; coupling that with constant head movement only compounds the problem.

The Quest 2 is half the price of the G2. Has no cable so freedom of movement in standup games. For 90% of the population new to VR the Q2 is a no brainer. The other 10% that has the money for it and only plays sit down simulation games the G2 is better.

Last edited:
The included strap might work fine for more sedate games where you're not moving your head much or quickly, but using it with a game like Pistol Whip where you're constantly ducking and twisting and looking around will almost certainly jack up your neck. It did mine for sure. I had to completely stop using the Q2 until I got the new strap; it took a couple of weeks for the neck pain to clear up.

There is no denying the included strap is terrible ergonomically. Sticking an unbalanced weight on your face will unavoidably cause neck strain; coupling that with constant head movement only compounds the problem.

Yeah, I think it's very specific to the games you play. Mine did not involve a lot of head movement, and body movement doesn't seem to cramp my neck up as much. I also only had to use the default strap for a few days before a custom strap arrived that alleviated, but didn't completely solve the issue. Recently upgraded to a halo strap with a forehead rest, that is extreme comfort and I haven't had any issues since, even though it's still front-heavy.

Back