new to VR and looking for purchase recommendations

bburk1964

n00b
I am looking at jumping into the world of VR displays. I'm not in a hurry and don't mind waiting for new products to hit the market. I already have an RTX 2080 card. I'm wondering what might be my best options for the best VR experience available. thanks

There is a Facebook event coming up soon where they are most likely announcing a Quest pro. I would wait to see what it is.

Rumors made it seem like that was something that wouldn't be coming until next year at the earliest. And that would likely be a $800+ headset. I feel like the Quest 2 is a great starting point and has an entry level price point. If you have that 15% coupon from google pay that you can use in Newegg, I'd just recommend you get a new 128 GB Quest 2 for $250+tax or look for a used one at a discounted price.

I would grab a Quest 2 256GB version, then go with Air Link. You won't be disappointed.

If you want the best of the best, I think right now it's the Valve Index.

Budget? Preferred style of game?
I can do what I feel like pricewise. It's more about the value to me than the price. If it actually does enough to be worth it, then I'm willing to spend the $800 someone mentioned above. If I get more value out of the other one that would be more my inclination. Game wise, I honestly don't know what is out there in VR, like a said completely new to it. I've never been much for shooters or anything that requires twitch reflexes, mine suck. I like anything from Sims games, to World of Warcraft, to Tetris.

Last edited:
FWIW, earlier this year Oculus VP Bosworth said that the Quest Pro was planned but that it's a ways off and "its still not going to happen this year." I'd be surprised if they announced it especially on Oct. 28 as that would likely impact quest 2 holiday sales. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised but I'm skeptical.

If you dont hold any strong opinions against Facebook, then I'd +1 that vote for a Quest 2. It's a great jumping off point for anyone net new to VR looking to dive in with a device that's extremely well rounded for its price. After using the Rift CV1 for several years, I can 100% say that I will never go back to a cumbersome outside-in tracking system that requires sensor towers, tons of wiring, and/or stationary setup.

FWIW, earlier this year Oculus VP Bosworth said that the Quest Pro was planned but that it's a ways off and "its still not going to happen this year." I'd be surprised if they announced it especially on Oct. 28 as that would likely impact quest 2 holiday sales. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised but I'm skeptical.

I don't think they're worried about the Pro model impacting regular Quest 2 sales if the Pro is going to cost ~$800. Most of the people buying $300 Quest 2s aren't willing to spend that much.

But yeah I would recommend a Quest 2 for anyone that wants to get into VR. Wireless freedom is so much better. And you can not only play PC VR wirelessly, but you can just use it as a standalone headset without needing a high end PC. It's very easy to setup and use and very inexpensive compared to the alternatives.

To get anywhere near the quality of a Quest 2 PC VR experience with other headsets you need to spend thousands of dollars on the headset and sensors and completely dedicate a play area with sensors pulley systems for the cords, or whatever. And you can't simply just spend more money and get a superior experience, there are tradeoffs no matter how much you spend.

If you can afford it, the Index is still an awesome piece of tech - I use it as a VR developer - but like others have said, Quest 2 is a good starting point until you know VR is for you

For PCVR wait until at the end of year, Valve could announce the new Index. For standalone device, wait until October, Facebook will announce Quest pro.

I am looking at jumping into the world of VR displays. I'm not in a hurry and don't mind waiting for new products to hit the market. I already have an RTX 2080 card. I'm wondering what might be my best options for the best VR experience available. thanks
This is hard to answer due to what do you want to do? If just gaming in general then Quest 2 is a good starting point which later you could branch out if you feel the need. If you want something for simulators, a higher resolution solution would be better like the HP Reverb G2, 2080 should do OK with that resolution, which would blow away the Quest 2 for clarity. If you want to do intricate detail work meaning the best tracking possible (3d modeling) and high resolution, Vive Pro 2 (very costly for the whole setup) . Then beyond that the really good stuff the Varjo VR-3, even more costly. I recommend you think on what you want to do and will use it first and if family members will also will be using it and what for.

If you haven't tried VR yet, Quest 2 is the best entry point. Then you can decide if it's not good enough what you don't like about it and get another headset that does that better (usually at 2x to 10x the cost, depending).

If you haven't tried VR yet, Quest 2 is the best entry point. Then you can decide if it's not good enough what you don't like about it and get another headset that does that better (usually at 2x to 10x the cost, depending).
Quest 2 has much to desire from the basic package, better headphones -> +$50
https://www.oculus.com/accessories/logitech-G333-vr-gaming-earphones/

Then add another $80 for the Link which then makes it a corded device but the quality is tarnished since this is not DP but USB streaming vice a real PC VR headset (as for how much better if any the Link is over WiFi 6 for quality I do not know or additional lag):
https://www.oculus.com/accessories/oculus-link/

Then since the given strap is pure crap, spend another $49 for the Elite Strap
https://www.oculus.com/accessories/quest-2-elite-strap/

Now who would buy the 128gb version? That is a joke, so add another $100 on top of that for the 256gb version:

$299 + $100(256gb) + $50(headphones) + $80(link) + $49(Elite Strap) = $578

I agree for a quick try in VR, not serious or just short trips into the alternate VR universe the Quest 2 looks good. But once you get serious it does not look to be such a good deal combined with the Facebook requirements, no. In my opinion the best beginner real PC VR headset is the HP Reverb G2 where you will not compromise, better comfort, better sound, about the same tracking ability, better resolution and lenses. I would never consider the rendering power of the Quest 2 built in ability vice a powerful PC GPU even a comparison, in other words the Quest 2 would have to be powered from the PC, which then getting over all the bumps and hurdles making it work. Which then all the added weight inside of Quest 2 becomes just a waste of money, if one is looking for a PCVR experience, I do not think the Quest 2 is the way to go. Just another viewpoint.

Last edited:

Then add another $80 for the Link which then makes it a corded device but the quality is tarnished since this is not DP but USB streaming vice a real PC VR headset (as for how much better if any the Link is over WiFi 6 for quality I do not know or additional lag):

Now who would buy the 128gb version? That is a joke, so add another $100 on top of that for the 256gb version:

I agree for a quick try in VR, not serious or just short trips into the alternate VR universe the Quest 2 looks good. But once you get serious it does not look to be such a good deal combined with the Facebook requirements, no. In my opinion the best beginner real PC VR headset is the HP Reverb G2 where you will not compromise, better comfort, better sound, about the same tracking ability, better resolution and lenses. I would never consider the rendering power of the Quest 2 built in ability vice a powerful PC GPU even a comparison, in other words the Quest 2 would have to be powered from the PC, which then getting over all the bumps and hurdles making it work. Which then all the added weight inside of Quest 2 becomes just a waste of money, if one is looking for a PCVR experience, I do not think the Quest 2 is the way to go. Just another viewpoint.

Eh? You don't need to spend any extra money.

There is no reason to get 256 GB version if you're going to use it to play PCVR, and you don't really even need the space using it as a standalone headset.
I would recommend upgrading to a better strap, but the default one works perfectly fine, and there is no reason to buy one right off the bat. There are also plenty of third part options arguably better and cheaper than the elite strap.
The built in speakers are fine too, and you can literally just plug in any pair of headphones you want. I bought $10 sony on ear headphones that I keep with it.

It's actually just stupid to buy the link cable. You can do lagless wireless PCVR with a good AX or even AC wireless router that you probably already have, and if you don't you can buy one for cheaper than the cable.
You can't even do wireless VR with HP Reverb G2. Wireless is soooo much better than wired. You can turn, walk around, and move your arms without any worries It's way more immersive not having to constantly worry about your cord getting tangled up. The only time I would even consider wired is if you're playing a completely seated game.

I wouldn't recommend the G2 to anyone unless they're only using it for 100% seated racing/flying games. The only thing actually better about the G2 is the slightly better resolution. Even then the high price is hard to justify it for a lot of people, and there are a lot of other options with even higher resolution, wider fov, etc.

What?

I play without headphones, it's very usable without. Headphones are a luxury.

Q2 supports AirLink, which is completely free. There's 0 need for a cable. Latency is extremely low provided you have a good WiFI router, but I have actually used it along with my phone's AC WiFi hotspot and it works, though latency can be spotty in that case.

The included strap is also usable, and if you're gonna buy a new strap it's stupid to not go 3rd party. Better straps can be had for less than $10...
https://www.amazon.com/Ermorgen-Com...keywords=quest+2+strap&qid=1632375258&sr=8-37
https://www.amazon.com/Head-Strap-F...keywords=quest+2+strap&qid=1632375195&sr=8-15

Why wouldn't you buy the 128GB version? The amount of storage is plenty if you play only a few Quest 2 specific games, and using it for PCVR you don't even need storage.

Don't talk shit about it until you've used it, I would say. In fact, with the G2, you already have 2 huge compromises. 120Hz feels far better than anything else the G2 can offer, plus no cables. Better comfort you can get with a new headstrap, better sound you can get with decent headphones, and the total will still be cheaper than the vanilla g2.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Could you at least try to be a little objective? You have totally exaggerated the price of the Quest 2 while not even mentioning the advantages that the Quest 2 has over the Reverb G2.

Why would you need to spend $50 on headphones? Chances are most people have a set of headphones already and if they don't, there better headphones available for less money. The Koss Porta Pro or KSC75's are just as good and way cheaper. However, lots of people, me included, prefer using the Quest 2 without headphones.

The link cable? again, why would anyone need to spend $80? They can if they want, but, you can connect to your PC for no added cost using AirLink which is improving with every update. Or, you can buy one of the Anker/Kiwi recommended cables which do just as good for far cheaper., $20/$30 compared to $80.

The headstrap, again, that's personal preference. I know people who use the Quest 2 with the stock strap and thinks it's fine. But, if a person finds it uncomfortable, they can replace it for a less than $49. Some of the best replacements are under $30 and they are better than the Elite Strap.

Buying the 128GB version is a joke? haha, the only joke is your whole post. If someone was buying a headset for PCVR gaming, why would the storage size matter? And even if they were using it for both, for most people the 128GB is way more than they will ever use. Only the hoarders need more space. 128GB would easily hold 30-40 games/experiences.

So what price does that make? let's see a more honest version.

$299(headset) + $30(headphones) + $30(USB cable) + $30 (headstrap) = $389.

So now that we have added the comfortable headstrap and better sound to the Quest 2. Which is better for PCVR?

Now that comfort and audio are the same, what advantages does the Reverb G2 have?

Higher Resolution.
Slightly Less SDE.
No compression artifacts (note, these are game dependent and every update improves this on the Quest 2)
No Facebook.

Quest 2 Advantages

Better controllers.
Better tracking.
120Hz.
Wireless.
Cheaper.

That's completely leaving out the standalone capabilities of the Quest 2. Try Space Pirate Trainer Arena with a friend and come back and say standalone games on the Quest 2 are rubbish.

The Quest 2 is an amazing piece of Kit for those new to VR. It's by far the best headset for those new to VR. But, it also works for the enthusiast.

Last edited:

The others captured it well, but get the base headset and then decide what you do or don't like about it and go from there. It is, by far, the best entry point to VR. I've found neither the sound or headstrap bother me, that's why I say try it first and see. I also already have baller headphones (which I don't bother with), and likely anyone that cares much about audio will have some good headphones as opposed to having to buy a set just for the quest.

The biggest issue I've had is it getting sweaty, but I don't know that any headset prevents that in any meaningful way. There's also no way I'd get the 256GB version, especially as a decent amount of my VR is PC based which requires zero storage on the Quest 2. I have the link cable but don't use it anymore, airlink works great with my laptop connected directly to the 5g wifi hotspot it can create, no router even needed in my case (ymmv). So while yes - you can improve the base Quest 2 with different accessories (and more you didn't list), I would start with the base headset and then decide from there. None of those are necessary, but can be an improvement if you so desire. You can also then decide you really want higher res, better lenses or a wider FOV, but imo you won't know until you try so spending extra out of the gate on a different headset or any of the above add ons is kind of foolish.

The others captured it well, but get the base headset and then decide what you do or don't like about it and go from there. It is, by far, the best entry point to VR. I've found neither the sound or headstrap bother me, that's why I say try it first and see. I also already have baller headphones (which I don't bother with), and likely anyone that cares much about audio will have some good headphones as opposed to having to buy a set just for the quest.

The biggest issue I've had is it getting sweaty, but I don't know that any headset prevents that in any meaningful way. There's also no way I'd get the 256GB version, especially as a decent amount of my VR is PC based which requires zero storage on the Quest 2. I have the link cable but don't use it anymore, airlink works great with my laptop connected directly to the 5g wifi hotspot it can create, no router even needed in my case (ymmv). So while yes - you can improve the base Quest 2 with different accessories (and more you didn't list), I would start with the base headset and then decide from there. None of those are necessary, but can be an improvement if you so desire. You can also then decide you really want higher res, better lenses or a wider FOV, but imo you won't know until you try so spending extra out of the gate on a different headset or any of the above add ons is kind of foolish.

My problem is getting dizzy.

Reactions: noko
like this
My problem is getting dizzy.

Make sure your ipd is set correctly and you're using 120hz mode - and you set the graphics quality in-game to maintain 120fps. As you get used to it, you can drop to 90fps and increase graphics settings. The only thing that makes me dizzy now is driving a car in reverse in VR.

I made the jump to VR this year. I got myself the HP Reverb G2 and would highly recommended it if you have a beefy PC. The G2 uses inside-out tracking so if you're planning to play alot of FPS shooters then this may not be the best. But I mainly use it for MS Fight Simulator 2020, Asseto Corsa, HL Alyx.

The experience is amazing especially Half Life Alyx which was my first VR game.

I made the jump to VR this year. I got myself the HP Reverb G2 and would highly recommended it if you have a beefy PC. The G2 uses inside-out tracking so if you're planning to play alot of FPS shooters then this may not be the best. But I mainly use it for MS Fight Simulator 2020, Asseto Corsa, HL Alyx.

The experience is amazing especially Half Life Alyx which was my first VR game.

FPS shooters can be improved massively with a VR gun stock. I got a knock-off Sanlaki one and it's made a massive difference, I almost feel like I'm playing airsoft instead of a VR game.

I *had* to get the 256GB version, as the 64GB was such a gimp. Now that there's the 128GB base model there's no way I'm ever considering the 256GB, even though I play almost exclusively Q2-native titles. It's just not worth the extra cost.

No regrets on getting it just before COVID hit, though. It was such a genius move looking back on it now.

What?

I play without headphones, it's very usable without. Headphones are a luxury.

Q2 supports AirLink, which is completely free. There's 0 need for a cable. Latency is extremely low provided you have a good WiFI router, but I have actually used it along with my phone's AC WiFi hotspot and it works, though latency can be spotty in that case.

The included strap is also usable, and if you're gonna buy a new strap it's stupid to not go 3rd party. Better straps can be had for less than $10...
https://www.amazon.com/Ermorgen-Com...keywords=quest+2+strap&qid=1632375258&sr=8-37
https://www.amazon.com/Head-Strap-F...keywords=quest+2+strap&qid=1632375195&sr=8-15

Why wouldn't you buy the 128GB version? The amount of storage is plenty if you play only a few Quest 2 specific games, and using it for PCVR you don't even need storage.

Don't talk shit about it until you've used it, I would say. In fact, with the G2, you already have 2 huge compromises. 120Hz feels far better than anything else the G2 can offer, plus no cables. Better comfort you can get with a new headstrap, better sound you can get with decent headphones, and the total will still be cheaper than the vanilla g2.
Huh?

So the strap is usable, that does not sound too promising for balance and comfort with virtually all the weight on the front end but if OK with you sure. Third party, maybe Frankenstein straps are also available which to me indicates a clear need for a better strap since others now make money off of it - how many straps do one see for G2 or HTC Vive Pro?

Airlink makes cable not needed, provided that your WiFi router works with it. Now what do you do if it works poorly or not at all? Just a potential issue maybe not a real issue plus a potential extra cost with time and money getting everything in sync and working or not. If you have a cable so you can actually get the best quality/less lag maybe -> it is now a strap device with poorer quality (since streamed) then a G2 DisplayPort cable.

G2 already has great sound but for the Quest 2 that is a luxury - got it. Plus outstanding lenses and resolution.

If I was going PCVR, why would I even bother with the Quest 2? Anyways you pretty much indicated the weaknesses of the Quest 2. Not saying it is not a great deal for some at the default price and box features but for someone really looking at something decent in more areas - I say nope.

Could you at least try to be a little objective? You have totally exaggerated the price of the Quest 2 while not even mentioning the advantages that the Quest 2 has over the Reverb G2.

Why would you need to spend $50 on headphones? Chances are most people have a set of headphones already and if they don't, there better headphones available for less money. The Koss Porta Pro or KSC75's are just as good and way cheaper. However, lots of people, me included, prefer using the Quest 2 without headphones.

The link cable? again, why would anyone need to spend $80? They can if they want, but, you can connect to your PC for no added cost using AirLink which is improving with every update. Or, you can buy one of the Anker/Kiwi recommended cables which do just as good for far cheaper., $20/$30 compared to $80.

The headstrap, again, that's personal preference. I know people who use the Quest 2 with the stock strap and thinks it's fine. But, if a person finds it uncomfortable, they can replace it for a less than $49. Some of the best replacements are under $30 and they are better than the Elite Strap.

Buying the 128GB version is a joke? haha, the only joke is your whole post. If someone was buying a headset for PCVR gaming, why would the storage size matter? And even if they were using it for both, for most people the 128GB is way more than they will ever use. Only the hoarders need more space. 128GB would easily hold 30-40 games/experiences.

So what price does that make? let's see a more honest version.

$299(headset) + $30(headphones) + $30(USB cable) + $30 (headstrap) = $389.

So now that we have added the comfortable headstrap and better sound to the Quest 2. Which is better for PCVR?

Now that comfort and audio are the same, what advantages does the Reverb G2 have?

Higher Resolution.
Slightly Less SDE.
No compression artifacts (note, these are game dependent and every update improves this on the Quest 2)
No Facebook.

Quest 2 Advantages

Better controllers.
Better tracking.
120Hz.
Wireless.
Cheaper.

That's completely leaving out the standalone capabilities of the Quest 2. Try Space Pirate Trainer Arena with a friend and come back and say standalone games on the Quest 2 are rubbish.

The Quest 2 is an amazing piece of Kit for those new to VR. It's by far the best headset for those new to VR. But, it also works for the enthusiast.
So you are saying basically the Quest 2 is not a complete package and one should use upgrades which means researching, spending time, hoping what you are ordering will work. No one magically knows instantly available viable options unless it is clearly stated. Seeing post after post people trying to get their Quest 2 working with Steam, problems with FB, Wifi setups, bla bla bla -> no thanks.

Looking at the G2, you get a complete package in the box, higher quality, not trying to imitate something it is not. As for Cheaper, if $ is the only cost and one's time is worthless or does not count, nor does the added waiting times for setting up FB and SteamVR and getting everything working with 3rd party stuff (which can be a fun thing to so one has to decide what is best for them), cheaper made product. Anyways my time to me is worth a lot and would want the most trouble free experience, most complete package.

So you are saying basically the Quest 2 is not a complete package and one should use upgrades which means researching, spending time, hoping what you are ordering will work. No one magically knows instantly available viable options unless it is clearly stated. Seeing post after post people trying to get their Quest 2 working with Steam, problems with FB, Wifi setups, bla bla bla -> no thanks.

Looking at the G2, you get a complete package in the box, higher quality, not trying to imitate something it is not. As for Cheaper, if $ is the only cost and one's time is worthless or does not count, nor does the added waiting times for setting up FB and SteamVR and getting everything working with 3rd party stuff (which can be a fun thing to so one has to decide what is best for them), cheaper made product. Anyways my time to me is worth a lot and would want the most trouble free experience, most complete package.
You are obviously trolling here.

The Quest is a complete package, you can start right from the bat, even without using a PC. If you have a PC, you have to turn on Air Link and you can play PCVR, that is it. No need to spend a lot of time on it.

With a G2 you do not even have an option to go wireless, talking about a not complete package here!! (going overboard here with my reaction of course ;) ). Wireless for everyone I know and read about is something they do not want to give up on. For me it is even more absolute than others, no wireless, then I do not want it. I cannot imagine playing VR with a cable attached to my headset.

Yes, there are upgrades available, but they are hardly mandatory. You seem to overreact on the fact that it is owned by FB and are crusading on that fact, might be wrong, but everything you are stating is wrong and at least highly subjective.

You are obviously trolling here.

The Quest is a complete package, you can start right from the bat, even without using a PC. If you have a PC, you have to turn on Air Link and you can play PCVR, that is it. No need to spend a lot of time on it.

With a G2 you do not even have an option to go wireless, talking about a not complete package here!! (going overboard here with my reaction of course ;) ). Wireless for everyone I know and read about is something they do not want to give up on. For me it is even more absolute than others, no wireless, then I do not want it. I cannot imagine playing VR with a cable attached to my headset.

Yes, there are upgrades available, but they are hardly mandatory. You seem to overreact on the fact that it is owned by FB and are crusading on that fact, might be wrong, but everything you are stating is wrong and at least highly subjective.
Nothing too important, just how I see it. Each their own. If someone is happy with what they get, regardless of headset great. VR in general is very stunning and awe inspiring even with first generation headsets. What I've seen over and over again is people drifting away from that first experience, some quicker due to getting sick (mostly) then how comfortable it is to use, from fit, tracking, visual quality, smoothness, IPD adjustment, ability to wear glasses, sound and so on. Now as if everything I say is wrong, lol, nope.

Nothing too important, just how I see it. Each their own. If someone is happy with what they get, regardless of headset great. VR in general is very stunning and awe inspiring even with first generation headsets. What I've seen over and over again is people drifting away from that first experience, some quicker due to getting sick (mostly) then how comfortable it is to use, from fit, tracking, visual quality, smoothness, IPD adjustment, ability to wear glasses, sound and so on. Now as if everything I say is wrong, lol, nope.
You are deflecting by not going into anything concretely on points you made that I responded to . That is enough proof that you are not objective here and your arguments can be disregarded.

Last edited:

Man, you don't know jack about VR. Your last few posts are ridiculous. You talk about the setup time of the Quest 2 been too long, haha, the actual setup time of the Reverb G2 is longer.

So the strap is usable, that does not sound too promising for balance and comfort with virtually all the weight on the front end but if OK with you sure. Third party, maybe Frankenstein straps are also available which to me indicates a clear need for a better strap since others now make money off of it - how many straps do one see for G2 or HTC Vive Pro?

The strap is useable. It's it comfortable for everybody? Nope, but, no headset strap is comfortable for everybody. That's why you see mods and custom made headstraps for every headset. The reason why there are so few options for the Vive Pro/Reverb G2 is because those headsets don't have many numbers sold. Whereas there are more suppliers of peripherals for the Quest 2 because the Quest 2 has sold in millions.

Airlink makes cable not needed, provided that your WiFi router works with it. Now what do you do if it works poorly or not at all? Just a potential issue maybe not a real issue plus a potential extra cost with time and money getting everything in sync and working or not. If you have a cable so you can actually get the best quality/less lag maybe -> it is now a strap device with poorer quality (since streamed) then a G2 DisplayPort cable.

Another BS pretend argument. If it works?? The same applies to everything. The Reverb G2 didn't work for everyone. Users had to buy USB add on cards or get a USB Hub and hope that it solved the issue. And this was a widespread issue that they only recently solved by updating the cable.
G2 already has great sound but for the Quest 2 that is a luxury - got it. Plus outstanding lenses and resolution.

G2 has better sound than the Quest 2. But, if you are used to high end headphones both will sound much worse. The Quest 2's weakest point is bass. I am not sure why you keep repeating "outstanding lenses and Resolution" about the Reverb G2. Have both headsets, the difference between the Quest 2 and Reverb G2 is a lot smaller than you seem to think it is. And on top of that, the Reverb G2's sweet spot is extremely small. More on that later.
If I was going PCVR, why would I even bother with the Quest 2? Anyways you pretty much indicated the weaknesses of the Quest 2. Not saying it is not a great deal for some at the default price and box features but for someone really looking at something decent in more areas - I say nope.

The Reverb G2 is best for people who play sim like sit down games, like flight Simulators, car sims etc. If you play roomscale games like Half Life Alyx, Beat Saber, Rec Room, Echo Arena, Lone Echo, etc. etc. then almost any of the other Headsets are better. I would keep the Vive Pro over the Reverb G2 for Room Scale games. The Tracking is a compromise, the Controllers are a compromise, the heavy cable is a compromise, the small sweet spot is a compromise. All these things are fine for sit down games, but, they suck when it comes to roomscale games.

I have to agree with Koldur on this. You aren't in the least bit objective about the Quest 2 because you hate Facebook. You seem to think that Reverb G2 is a headset without issues and is the best at everything. It does some things well, it does other things very poorly. You also seem to think that you can't have a decent VR experience on the Quest 2, that's it's only for people who can't afford better. LOL what a bizarre way of thinking. You are completely underestimating the Quest 2 and also underestimating just how good wireless VR gaming is.

TLDR: The Quest 2 is a better all around headset. The Reverb G2 is only the better option if you use the headset mainly in sit down games/experiences.

You are deflecting by not going into anything concretely on points you made that I responded to . That is enough proof that you are not objective here and your arguments can be disregarded.
You like to troll? I expressed a viewpoint, you don't have to agree or not, I could care less.

Lets see how complete this Quest Package is by this person or should I say persons owning one and maybe not so happy.

The ULTIMATE Oculus Quest 2 (Video):
Basically this person experience getting his Quest up to speed and why. For example his ultimate solution for the strap after the Elite Strap he paid $50 cracked in two, also indicating a common problem with Oculus Elite Strap ($50 wasted) -> Vive Deluxe Audio Strap ( :LOL: ). Which has better sound then either Oculus add ons which is better than what the headset comes with:​
ViveDeluxeAudioStrap.jpg

He goes into detail here in the video all his corrections, add ons, holders, battery charger, whys and suggestions like WiFi router that works and so on. Instead of getting into VR, playing games and other stuff, time and money spent getting the headset more usable/comfortable/better experience was needed:​

Anyone looking for a best VR experience, a.k.a OP, probably should look elsewhere then the Quest 2. Still each has to judge what will work best for them. For some, a headset where you are inclined to modify and build upon with almost 100% guarantee you will make it better due to the original configuration maybe appealing for some. The great first experience, WoW factor of VR, happy faces turns into hey this thing is uncomfortable, sounds like crap and and and . . .

Man, you don't know jack about VR. Your last few posts are ridiculous. You talk about the setup time of the Quest 2 been too long, haha, the actual setup time of the Reverb G2 is longer.

The strap is useable. It's it comfortable for everybody? Nope, but, no headset strap is comfortable for everybody. That's why you see mods and custom made headstraps for every headset. The reason why there are so few options for the Vive Pro/Reverb G2 is because those headsets don't have many numbers sold. Whereas there are more suppliers of peripherals for the Quest 2 because the Quest 2 has sold in millions.

Another BS pretend argument. If it works?? The same applies to everything. The Reverb G2 didn't work for everyone. Users had to buy USB add on cards or get a USB Hub and hope that it solved the issue. And this was a widespread issue that they only recently solved by updating the cable.

G2 has better sound than the Quest 2. But, if you are used to high end headphones both will sound much worse. The Quest 2's weakest point is bass. I am not sure why you keep repeating "outstanding lenses and Resolution" about the Reverb G2. Have both headsets, the difference between the Quest 2 and Reverb G2 is a lot smaller than you seem to think it is. And on top of that, the Reverb G2's sweet spot is extremely small. More on that later.

The Reverb G2 is best for people who play sim like sit down games, like flight Simulators, car sims etc. If you play roomscale games like Half Life Alyx, Beat Saber, Rec Room, Echo Arena, Lone Echo, etc. etc. then almost any of the other Headsets are better. I would keep the Vive Pro over the Reverb G2 for Room Scale games. The Tracking is a compromise, the Controllers are a compromise, the heavy cable is a compromise, the small sweet spot is a compromise. All these things are fine for sit down games, but, they suck when it comes to roomscale games.

I have to agree with Koldur on this. You aren't in the least bit objective about the Quest 2 because you hate Facebook. You seem to think that Reverb G2 is a headset without issues and is the best at everything. It does some things well, it does other things very poorly. You also seem to think that you can't have a decent VR experience on the Quest 2, that's it's only for people who can't afford better. LOL what a bizarre way of thinking. You are completely underestimating the Quest 2 and also underestimating just how good wireless VR gaming is.

TLDR: The Quest 2 is a better all around headset. The Reverb G2 is only the better option if you use the headset mainly in sit down games/experiences.
No point in wasting time with you, look above and maybe folks should go this route and making it work. Now this guy was proud on improving the abysmal in box audio. You can spend time money doing a custom mod like this. While this kinda stuff I like, it also indicates to me a severe lack of product quality to begin with:

Oculus Quest 2 Audio Mod: Massively Improving The Audio With Koss Porta Pros:​

That's some hardcore buyer's remorse. Want me to send you a referral code so when you buy a Quest 2 we both get $25 credit for games?

like this

Sure, two can play this game:

The headstrap on the HP Reverb G2 sucks: https://www.amazon.com/VRbrother-Re...hp+reverb+g2+head+strap&qid=1632627292&sr=8-3

Seeing post after post on sound issues on the G2: https://www.google.com/search?q=rev...hUKEwji15On25vzAhWLaCsKHbe_DzwQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

G2 connection issues: https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+...HR8kBSQQrQIoBHoECCcQBQ&biw=1704&bih=955&dpr=1

G2 incompatibility with a whole class of motherboard (x570): https://www.google.com/search?q=rev...Hd_jDzcQrQIoBHoECAgQBQ&biw=1704&bih=955&dpr=1

G2 USB issues: https://www.google.com/search?q=rev...hUKEwi5nfCM3JvzAhXHXSsKHdk4DRUQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

G2 screen issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+...HUcTCNwQrQIoBHoECAYQBQ&biw=1704&bih=955&dpr=1

Wow, so much better, such complete package.

Please do tell me what makes the G2 "higher quality", please provide concrete evidence, actual metrics. I see almost the same amount of issues reported for the G2 and the Q2.

From my Googling, the Q2 wins in portability, is wireless, screen refresh rate, has a headphone jack, I've seen people saying the Q2 has a better controller + better tracking, better game support (mainly button mappings), while the G2 wins in comfort, screen resolution, screen color.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Just don't give people bad advice based on your bias.

Sure, two can play this game:

The headstrap on the HP Reverb G2 sucks: https://www.amazon.com/VRbrother-Re...hp+reverb+g2+head+strap&qid=1632627292&sr=8-3

Seeing post after post on sound issues on the G2: https://www.google.com/search?q=reverb+g2+sound+issue+site:www.reddit.com&client=firefox-b-d&biw=1704&bih=955&tbs=qdr:y&sxsrf=AOaemvIFeoMCdqgVk8rftDPGzgWZxe3cHg:1632627478303&ei=FutPYeL0EYvRrQG3_77gAw&oq=reverb+g2+sound+issue+site:www.reddit.com&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsANKBAhBGABQ450BWP62AWC-uAFoA3ACeACAAXqIAboLkgEEMTAuNZgBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwji15On25vzAhWLaCsKHbe_DzwQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

G2 connection issues: https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+...HR8kBSQQrQIoBHoECCcQBQ&biw=1704&bih=955&dpr=1

G2 incompatibility with a whole class of motherboard (x570): https://www.google.com/search?q=rev...Hd_jDzcQrQIoBHoECAgQBQ&biw=1704&bih=955&dpr=1

G2 USB issues: https://www.google.com/search?q=reverb+g2+USB+issues+site:www.reddit.com&client=firefox-b-d&biw=1704&bih=955&sxsrf=AOaemvKVtRPwHtZFEXCHNQJSlxp5d3K0IA:1632627691631&ei=6-tPYfn7Jce7rQHZ8bSoAQ&oq=reverb+g2+USB+issues+site:www.reddit.com&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BwgAEEcQsANKBAhBGABQiEtYiEtg-0xoAnACeACAAV6IAV6SAQExmAEAoAEByAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwi5nfCM3JvzAhXHXSsKHdk4DRUQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

G2 screen issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+...HUcTCNwQrQIoBHoECAYQBQ&biw=1704&bih=955&dpr=1

Wow, so much better, such complete package.

Please do tell me what makes the G2 "higher quality", please provide concrete evidence, actual metrics. I see almost the same amount of issues reported for the G2 and the Q2.

From my Googling, the Q2 wins in portability, is wireless, screen refresh rate, has a headphone jack, I've seen people saying the Q2 has a better controller + better tracking, better game support (mainly button mappings), while the G2 wins in comfort, screen resolution, screen color.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. Just don't give people bad advice based on your bias.
Yes the Q2 headphone jack is definitely needed and of course a nice feature. I've seen Q2 and G2 tracking about the same but most of the time the controller for Q2 is always preferred. Which headset is better for one may well depend what the person is interested in, flight sims, seated racing games, non standing bla bla bla -> G2. More interactive room scale, freedom of motion -> Q2. Clarity -> G2. From my prospective, just looking at the headset, the Q2 just does not cut it, my personal reasons and uses makes it a non-starter. You may think otherwise which for you may be the best option or for another. I talking about just the headset, with Q2 it is also entangled with Facebook requirements which maybe ok or good for you and others, for me that by itself is not acceptable. If I bought the Q2, it would be for it's own abilities/games/apps it can run, not PCVR. As for the Quest Pro and when available who knows, what it will bring to the table, if professionally made, innovative then a whole new evaluation would be called for. Now if you asked me to choose between the Q2 and G2, G2 would win hands down easily, just my two cents. What other viable options out there, Valve Index with controllers does come to mind as well.

This is not accurate by any objective measure - the vast majority, based on steam usage, stay with the Quest as it almost matches all other non Oculus headsets combined in usage, so while some may drift to other headsets, the vast vast majority don't - and that doesn't factor in the large majority that just use it standalone without PCVR.

However, you're correct that some people do drift to to other headsets in a variety of ways depending on what they value (especially at [H]). So I still maintain starting with the Quest and then changing from there based on what you find lacking in the Quest (if anything) is best. Some want higher FOV - so Index, Pimax or Vive Pro2 get them there. Some want higher res, so G2 or VR-3 get them there. Some want better tracking, so lighthouse based headsets. Some want some combo of that, but starting with a more expensive headset before you've even tried and know what you want is foolish imo. It'd suck to spend $200 more on a G2 just to decide you want a higher FOV, need better tracking, or really hate the wire or small sweet spot. The key here is entry headset, there's really no better one than a Quest 2 mostly because it does everything decently (which no other headset actually does) while also being the cheapest.

This is not accurate by any objective measure - the vast majority, based on steam usage, stay with the Quest as it almost matches all other non Oculus headsets combined in usage, so while some may drift to other headsets, the vast vast majority don't - and that doesn't factor in the large majority that just use it standalone without PCVR.

However, you're correct that some people do drift to to other headsets in a variety of ways depending on what they value (especially at [H]). So I still maintain starting with the Quest and then changing from there based on what you find lacking in the Quest (if anything) is best. Some want higher FOV - so Index, Pimax or Vive Pro2 get them there. Some want higher res, so G2 or VR-3 get them there. Some want better tracking, so lighthouse based headsets. Some want some combo of that, but starting with a more expensive headset before you've even tried and know what you want is foolish imo. It'd suck to spend $200 more on a G2 just to decide you want a higher FOV, need better tracking, or really hate the wire or small sweet spot. The key here is entry headset, there's really no better one than a Quest 2 mostly because it does everything decently (which no other headset actually does) while also being the cheapest.
Looks like I was not clear on the drifting away bit, to clarify, drift away from VR, basically headset sitting in a corner not being used was what I was driving at. As for the numbers of Quest 2 users going to other headsets, I would not know.

I understand what you are saying dealing with different aspects of headsets. OP wanted to know Best VR experience and not an entry headset, which yes the Quest 2 hits that well but Best Experience I would say not.

Saying something Objectively when personal differences as in what type of applications, face sizes, reaction times is not very realistic. Someone want to sit down and do Flight Simulator for over 4 hours (something I did yesterday), driving games, the Quest 2 battery would probably go dead (unless the cable supplies power if used) besides that, the headset has to be, not an option (for me) COMFORTABLE. I have a Samsung Odyssey+, that headset has a nice resolution OLED screen for it's day except it was so uncomfortable it became useless, tracking was limiting and disorientating -> not a good VR experience in that case. For simulations and sit-down experiences the G2 I would say would toast the Quest 2 in all cases and one would not have to worry about battery life. Now if someone wants an easy setup to any room, no need for a computer, self contained -> Q2 fits well.

So from a subjective point of view, my IPD is 69 (a little bit larger than average, not ET but pushing it). Just got the Vive Pro 2 and my head is big enough that I am having problems with getting the ear muffs sitting squarely on my ears and hitting the sweat spot for the lenses, ear pieces are all the way down. In addition the sound quality of the Vive Pro 2 is about as crappy as the Vive Pro (that is subjective). The headset is utterly comfortable, I did try a Quest headset and that did not fit well nor was I able it seem to get a good IPD adjustment with it at the time, it was uncomfortable, have not tried a Q2. I do like the VP2 FOV, Virtual Desktop is now actually usable with the FOV and higher resolution, Video watching is enjoyable as well as the desktop clarity. Could it be better? YES. Would I recommend this headset, complete package to someone new? It would depend what he/she was going to do with it. For doing like 3d work, it can be useful but the full package expense is rather high and there are clear issues as well. The #1 issue I see is definitely the godrays, it is as bad as reported by the reviewers, HTC needs to do a revision for the lenses. I don't think I will get rid of the VP2, will give it several days, I definitely like the resolution, colors are very good (I think they are better than the Vive Pro OLED while the blacks are good, not as good as the Vive Pro). Anyways from my subjective use case, the G2 is the best for the money overall PCVR set out there. For other folks the Q2 maybe the better choice.

The VP2 so far is comfortable (absolutely mandatory if one is serious about spending time in VR), better resolution (too many things were not usable with previous lower resolution headsets plus just harder to look at for long periods of time). I like Beat Saber, working in Expert level now, great tracking and refresh rate definitely helps. The 120hz higher refresh rate is noticeable and beneficial as well, this too I think will allow one to enjoy longer sessions in VR making it more comfortable if maintained (makes having a high end system to drive it necessary). I still have to give it time, but resolution alone would make it hard going back to the Vive Pro. Not perfect but better overall.

Last edited:
Yeah, they all have their limitations. The Odyssey+ is terribly uncomfortable until you remove the stock facial interface, then it's great (but lets in outside light, so if you're in a really bright room you have to put a vr cover on it), it also has mediocre hand tracking (at best). The G2 has a narrow fov and a heavy cord with small sweet spot, but a nice image. The Vive Pro2 has lighthouses, not very good fresnel lenses and some compatibility issues (doesn't work properly in iRacing which is the main game I play). None of them can run standalone or wireless.

Every single headset is a compromise, but in my experience the Q2 has the least overall compromise, so I use it quite a bit. I use the Odyssey+ for sit down sims as it has a wider fov, limited screen door and very nice contrast. Plus with the facial interface removed, it's comfortable and doesn't make my face sweat as it's not touching it. I use the Quest 2 standalone or airlink for everything else (including taking it outside when it's nice) as having no wire enhances the immersion more than any of the other compromises and it can be set up to run anywhere with my laptop. The only other headset I'm interested in at all is the Varjo VR-3 as it at least has zero compromises on lenses and resolution, even if it goes back to wired and external tracking (and costs $5k), every other headset is too much of a compromise in some way to be worth swapping to, at least for me.

like this
Yeah, they all have their limitations. The Odyssey+ is terribly uncomfortable until you remove the stock facial interface, then it's great (but lets in outside light, so if you're in a really bright room you have to put a vr cover on it), it also has mediocre hand tracking (at best). The G2 has a narrow fov and a heavy cord with small sweet spot, but a nice image. The Vive Pro2 has lighthouses, not very good fresnel lenses and some compatibility issues (doesn't work properly in iRacing which is the main game I play). None of them can run standalone or wireless.

Every single headset is a compromise, but in my experience the Q2 has the least overall compromise, so I use it quite a bit. I use the Odyssey+ for sit down sims as it has a wider fov, limited screen door and very nice contrast. Plus with the facial interface removed, it's comfortable and doesn't make my face sweat as it's not touching it. I use the Quest 2 standalone or airlink for everything else (including taking it outside when it's nice) as having no wire enhances the immersion more than any of the other compromises and it can be set up to run anywhere with my laptop. The only other headset I'm interested in at all is the Varjo VR-3 as it at least has zero compromises on lenses and resolution, even if it goes back to wired and external tracking (and costs $5k), every other headset is too much of a compromise in some way to be worth swapping to, at least for me.
Varjo VR-3 would also be my ideal current generation headset to own and way waste the VP2 in the process. Maybe next year for that one or if they come out with a more commercial version. It is easy to find something wrong with any headset, somethings I just can't compromise, comfort being #1, resolution #2 and overall image quality and has to have good tracking, works in the games/applications I want to use. My Odyssey+ has been in the closet for almost 2 years now, lol, maybe I will try your trick. I did put a Velcro additional strap to support the headset better ( it helped but no cigar overall), then again the lower resolution may keep it dead - worth a try though.

I had not had the chance to get back to this thread and I see there has been lots of really good info posted.

I did get a chance to try out a friends Quest 2. I have the questionable fortune of having an unusually large head. I cannot go to the store to buy a hat, they don't fit! It was definitely snug on my head. I have seen statements about there being other straps available, could that fix this problem?

As for the sound quality, I have a very good set of Bluetooth earbuds. Would that work, or might I experience latency/sync issues?

I see ok without glasses, but am better off with them. Does one system work better than others for this? Or better yet, have adjustable focus for each eye built in like binoculars do?

There was an issue with some of the games requiring a person to be standing while playing them. I have MS, I can stand for very short periods of time. There was a seated point of view option for at least one game. Is this something that can be configured in all games?

I was not hugely impressed with the image quality or the wideness of the field of view. What is better in that respect? I am using a large screen 4K monitor. The 60hz refresh has never bothered me. I have found that the resolution of the image is much more important to me than the frame rate. I guess it's just a personal taste thing.

thanks for all the help so far!

Back