Morlock

Limp Gawd
Gigabyte Z370P D3 (r. 1.0) Motherboard
i5-8400 CPU
8g x2 T-Force Dark DDR4 RAM
Asus GTX 760
Cryorig H7 Cooler
CX600 PSU

K so I plugged everything in and it isn't posting. Installing the CPU/RAM/Cooler/mobo/video card all went smoothly, I was careful not to touch anything I didn't have to, touched metal before doing anything sensitive, etc.

I installed all the case headers I could find: power/LED, power switch, HDD LED, audio, USB. I plugged the cooler into the CPU fan. I plugged the PSU into the video card.

I plugged in 1 SATA drive, the C drive from my previous rig. I know the drive's working because I just pulled it out of an external USB enclosure. It's got W7 on it, but even if I need to reinstall Windows or the HDD was bad, I should still get the board BIOS to post, show me something other than "no signal" from the monitor(s).

The power switch is working, the power supply is working, the CPU cooler fan runs, the light on the video card is green, etc.

The board seems to be powering up fine, there's orange light from an LED, but I think it's cosmetic or otherwise not an error light.

Only thing I can think of is the RAM isn't compatible (but shouldn't that give a beep message from the mobo? I do have it right that the mobo has its own little speaker and I would hear any error messages, right?) or something is DOA. I've got 3 monitors, 1 I just pulled out of the packaging (and the other 2 are working fine with my other PC). I've plugged the 2 with DVI sockets into the DVI socket in the the card, and I've plugged the 2 with HDMI sockets into both the mobo and the card, too. Nada.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I ran through that checklist and I'd already done all of that except resetting CMOS (haven't tried it yet) and the part about plugging each RAM stick in alone, in each socket (tried it, didn't work).

I re-read the checklist to be sure, and I'm clean on 1-16. I'm not getting any sound at all, even when I pulled the RAM and HDD and the power to the video card and turned on the power. I'm pretty sure it isn't the case; IIRC, the case speaker is working fine. I don't know if the mobo has an integral speaker.

Clean on 19-20, haven't tried 21, resetting CMOS. Seems like a hail mary but I'll try it if there are no better ideas.

Clean on 22-23, too.

take everything out of case and try minimal stuff on it. 1 stick of ram no drives etc.

Reading over the rest of that checklist and the comments, I should mention that there is no looping going on that I can see; once I turn on the power switch, the orange LED, the green LED on the GPU, and the CPU fan are all continuously on with no interruptions.

Lobo I did that already. I tried it with no RAM, no drives, and with no power to the video card. I also tried each RAM stick alone in each RAM slot.

I just tried again with no RAM or drives, and with the GPU removed, still "no signal." Looks like I'm RMAing it all tomorrow.

Pulled the CMOS battery for 45m, put it back in and powered up (w/ no RAM/drives/cards), no change. I hope Newegg doesn't give me grief over this thing. It's powering up, but it's not outputting to monitor so it's of no use to me.

Sucks dude, I would say most likely a ram issue, but given ram will usually boot first time way below the XMP specs I would imagine most ram would work good enough to post.

Does gigabye have an emergency usb flash procedure? if yes you could maybe try that to get a newer bios which may have extra compatibility fixes.

Make sure you have the cpu 8 pin power connected.

All that's really left is an improperly seated CPU or an actual defect in the board or CPU.

Yeah I thought about CPU but what can I say; I was clean, I lined up the arrows, it fit nicely, I made sure to remove the plastic cover, and it locked down fine (I always hate how much force they take to lock down, but it was just like I remember my previous rig being), I removed the plastic from the heat sink, I lightly glazed the CPU with Cryorig's goop, and I didn't get any on anything. It went smooth as silk.

I'd say it's a defect in the board, too, except it started up fine, first try after I plugged everything in and checked it twice and flipped the switch. Cooler fan runs uninterrupted, board lights up uninterrupted. Just no signal. Not that it's impossible, it's just like...am I missing something?

CPU power...cpu power. I have the CPU fan plugged in, and the board plugged in. But if there's another plug, power for the CPU itself, then I'm one short because I don't recall there being such a thing, or plugging one in.

Chro you da man! I STG I didn't see that on the checklist! Been 5 yrs since I built a rig, lol!

"Am I missing someting?" Hurr durr, the freakin CPU power, moron!

It posted. The HDMI from the mobo to the brand-new monitor wasn't working, so at first I my heart sank back down, but then I tried a DVI connection to my video card and it worked!

Maaaaan do I owe you a beer, Chro! I was not looking forward to RMAing everything! Thank you very much!

glad to have helped, its easy to miss something so simple, and then helps to get another person thinking.

With the big coolers now days it can be easy to miss that socket as it may be out of view.

Now I gotta set it aside instead of putting it on my desk and installing Windows (OS and all the drivers are at a friend's house). I started putting this together at 3pm EST. Yargggg if I wasn't such a dunce I'd be done setting up OS and all apps and network and testing Daz Studio.

That 4 pin plug has been around for 10 years at least. I assumed it was plugged in..

Next time I am DEMANDING a pic!!

wheee

At least you didn't have to eat crow with the Gigabyte RMA guys.

Back