New Samsung 28" monitor will not display native resolution

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
I have a 980TI and the cable is HDMI to DisplayPort.

I bought it because it will run a res of 3840x2160. But windows 11 says recommended res is 1920X1080.

DO I have another way to possibly fix this?

In the Nvidia Control Panel, it states a connection of HDMI - HDTV

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
I have a 980TI and the cable is HDMI to DisplayPort.

Which end is plugged into your card and which end is plugged into your monitor?

What is the model of your monitor?

I bought it because it will run a res of 3840x2160. But windows 11 says recommended res is 1920X1080.

Sounds like a cable limitation issue. 1080P is basically the limit of single-link DVI, which also forms the basis of the HDMI specification (this is why you can switch from HDMI to DVI using nothing other than a passive adapter, if you don't need more than 1080P).

To get above 1080P, you need proper support for a newer HDMI standard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video

You can see that you need at least HDMI 1.3-1.4b just to be able to do 4K at 30Hz at full color. To do 4K at 60Hz with full color, you need HDMI 2.0 or greater.

Using the Displayport to HDMI cable just ads extra unneeded variables to the mix. It might be possible that your monitor could do 4K 60Hz when hooked directly to your GPU via displayport (on both ends), or even with HDMI (on both ends), but using the Displayport to HDMI cable (still not sure which end you have attached to what) might be causing it to fall back to an older spec to make that conversion work properly. You might try to set a custom resolution, see if you can get it to sync at 4K 30Hz since that requires less bandwidth. Or just get a proper cable.

Last edited:
Which end is plugged into your card and which end is plugged into your monitor?

What is the model of your monitor?

Sounds like a cable limitation issue. 1080P is basically the limit of single-link DVI, which also forms the basis of the HDMI specification (this is why you can switch from HDMI to DVI using nothing other than a passive adapter, if you don't need more than 1080P).

To get above 1080P, you need proper support for a newer HDMI standard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_standard_video

You can see that you need at least HDMI 1.3-1.4b just to be able to do 4K at 30Hz at full color. To do 4K at 60Hz with full color, you need HDMI 2.0 or greater.

Using the Displayport to HDMI cable just ads extra unneeded variables to the mix. It might be possible that your monitor could do 4K 60Hz when hooked directly to your GPU via displayport (on both ends), or even with HDMI (on both ends), but using the Displayport to HDMI cable (still not sure which end you have attached to what) might be causing it to fall back to an older spec to make that conversion work properly. You might try to set a custom resolution, see if you can get it to sync at 4K 30Hz since that requires less bandwidth. Or just get a proper cable.
Turns out I simply needed a correct cable. So my mistake for buying the wrong one. I appreciate your help though

Back