New OLED Nintendo Switch dropping October 8th

I'd consider Metroid Prime to be a mature game, whenever that comes out. Also DOOM and Wolfenstein came out on Switch.

I'd be so tempted to buy a Switch if I didn't already have an Oculus Quest 2. The whole package sounds amazing, and some really nice games too.

Lower rez and crappy audio? Yea no, i'm playing it on a switch.

From what I have seen they are almost exactly the same. Even performance issues, both stutter in exactly the same spot. And how is the audio worse?

I'd consider Metroid Prime to be a mature game, whenever that comes out. Also DOOM and Wolfenstein came out on Switch.
The sad thing is that complaining about the Switch having "kids' games" is often shorthand for "I want to see blood, darkness and sex." It's rarely a call for greater sophistication, or even skill — goodness knows some Nintendo games require tremendous skill to complete beyond the basic storyline. If you want mature... well, you'll probably get more actual maturity out of Life is Strange or Night in the Woods on a Switch (yes, I know they're cross-platform titles) than any first-person shooter on a PlayStation or Xbox.

The sad thing is that complaining about the Switch having "kids' games" is often shorthand for "I want to see blood, darkness and sex." It's rarely a call for greater sophistication, or even skill — goodness knows some Nintendo games require tremendous skill to complete beyond the basic storyline. If you want mature... well, you'll probably get more actual maturity out of Life is Strange or Night in the Woods on a Switch (yes, I know they're cross-platform titles) than any first-person shooter on a PlayStation or Xbox.

Maybe he wants another Eternal Darkness game?

The Switch has plenty of M rated games though, so no complaints from me.

Anyone who thinks Mario games are easy hasn't touched a mario game in far too long. The end game, especially the extra stages, are platforming perfection. If you truly worry about difficulty, give Mario Maker a try. The people who make the top tier levels are absolute masochists beyond what anyone thought was possible.

The most difficult games I've played the last few years have, by far, been independent pixel based platformers (usually played on Switch). You know what's "harder" than any assassin's creed, call of duty, or even dark souls? Celeste. Or if you're too damn scared to play a game with a trans female protagonist, try Dead Cells, Hollow Knight or even Spelunky.

If you're require a grim dark polygon based game because all enjoyment left your life years ago and you care more about being "hardcore" and "edgy" than good gameplay. I dunno, fail at Furi, Sundered or Blasphemous.

Anyway, I'm currently in the airport and playing Hades (best game of 2020) on my switch, which has a cross-save file with the PC version. Cause, I dunno, I know how to enjoy things.

Honestly if I'm gonna start traveling again as much as I might consider that OLED switch just cause that extra +1 inch, higher contrast screen would be nice.
I'm gonna wait till a hands on though, especially to see if thermals improved.

A big headline feature which might push me to getting a Switch after putting it off so long is process improvements which would decrease thermals and increase battery life.
I have to think if that was happening though they would've said something. I of course think a "Switch Pro" would be a near instant buy. But clearly that isn't coming for a long while.

Replacing the fan, shell and joycons on my launch switch (posted about it, with pictures: https://hardforum.com/threads/ninte...ew-joysticks-buttons-and-a-new-shell.2008422/ )
Made a huge difference to making me not feel like I *need* this upgrade. The way my switch was behaving before the rebuild...overheating and sounding like a helicopter, along with joycon drift... Was getting frustrating.

Honestly, as long as you aren't doing a shell swap, replacing the fan and improving the thermals on a switch is incredibly easy. Easier than most basic laptop repairs I've done.

Shell swapping moves it into the "more annoying than most laptop repairs I've done."

I play more games on Switch than I do on PC at the moment.

Of course, I also had a Pokemon themed wedding, zelda and mario tattoos, hundred+ dollar metroid and zelda statues, etc.

Anyone decrying games as "kiddy" though needs to grow the fuck up. Trying too hard to say other things are kiddy is the truly immature statement.

I just want my Nintendo games at a more consistent framerate, but if I can't get that - no problem, I'll play them as they are.
1626103360115.png

and it's ONLY $300 ... wow toys sure have become super expensive these days
$350 for the OLED version.

Nicer screen, USB-A 3.0 on the back of the dock replaced with an Ethernet port (and you can get USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapters for the existing Switch docks), double the internal storage, allegedly improved audio... and a $50 higher price tag.

I'll pass, not worth moving on from my current Switch, especially since mine's one of the early ones that's really easy to run homebrew stuff on. I'm holding out for a faster model that I'll feel justified transferring my account and games to if they run better, and keep my old Switch.

The version of Mario Kart on the Switch is still the same game as the WiiU version, Mario Kart 8. It came out in 2014.
You think that's bad for a Nintendo racing series? The last main console installment of F-Zero was F-Zero GX all the way back in 2003!

We've gone through the entire Wii and Wii U lifespans without a new F-Zero installment, as well as the current Switch lifespan since 2017, and in that time, we've had two Mario Kart games, four if you count the portable DS/3DS iterations as well.

Mario Kart fans have it easy, F-Zero fans have nothing besides MK8 DLC (which doesn't really count) and Captain Falcon continuing to be a meme in Smash.

Pfft. F-Zero in 2003! Imagine being a Stunt Race FX fan! The last, and only, one came out back in 1994!
This post is true, but it's also sarcasm. I don't think anyone is actually expecting, or cares about, a sequel.

Tough to say if F-Zero is a seriously viable franchise for Nintendo, but I feel pretty confident they could toss a sequel/successor together with the exact same courses and it would be profitable.

Pfft. F-Zero in 2003! Imagine being a Stunt Race FX fan! The last, and only, one came out back in 1994!
This post is true, but it's also sarcasm. I don't think anyone is actually expecting, or cares about, a sequel.

Sheeeeit, I would love a Stunt Race FX or a Dirt Trax FX sequel. Though I'm sure it could never capture the nostalgia factor of the original or be as fun as I remember the original being as a kid despite it being virtually unplayable now that I go back to play it as an adult (which I've done recently via the SNES games available on Switch).

Ignorance truly is bliss in the perspective of a kid playing games, who has nothing better to compare most games to and can completely enjoy otherwise shitty games to most adult gamers. I guess if you do enough drugs, you can reclaim some of that again, like having kid goggles (instead of beer goggles).

I guess racers are low on the priority list considering the age of the current Mario Kart, but a new F-Zero would be awesome if it were done well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
And a little reminder that Nintendo switch games dominate Amazon's best sellers list 2020 and 2021 so far

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2020/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2021/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

2019's top 50 had a little more variety.....when you get closer to "50". But the topmost selling games----still Nintendo:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2019/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

Probably because almost no one but Switch players buy physical games.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I looked it up because I was curious.

Nintendo finally started selling more digital than physical games in 2020.
https://www.thegamer.com/nintendo-digital-sales-more-than-physical/

Versus only 17% of games being physical for everything in 2018. It should be even less now.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/
Well based on that 2018 figure....Nintendo has skewed much more towards digital, for awhile now, than Playstation and Xbox. Which makes sense due to portable convenience. But also an interesting push by youtubers and other influencers, to buy the biggest micro SD cards you can afford for Switch. And go all/mostly digital.
Which echoes into a general push by influencers for all gaming that.....we must have as much of our library installed at the same time, as possible.
I.E. Switch and PS5 built in storage are useless because we can't have 10 games installed at once.

PlayStation was 53% split in 2019 (August 4th 2020 investor call states 53% 2019 and 73% in 2020). And many publishers reported an average of 40 - 50% growth in digital sales last year. The pandemic really pushed digital.

None of it nullifies the fact that Nintendo dominates at the biggest etailer of physical goods, in the world.

Lower rez and crappy audio? Yea no, i'm playing it on a switch.
Were it not delayed, you'd have played that low rez, crappy audio version of BOTW on your Wii U. You still could have done that when it released. Nintendo gave you exactly what you bought a Wii U for, you did not have to buy a Switch for the better version, you chose to. Also, If you only wanted it for one game, why did you buy a Wii U long before that game was even out? That isn't really something you can fault Nintendo for. The Wii U was very poorly received, its short life cycle was a surprise to no one.

Classic Nintendo Fans will be jumping for joy with this.
Will they? I try to avoid Nintendo centric reddits and such because Nintendo fanboys are fucking annoying. But in the places where they intermingle, I haven't seen a whole lot of positive reactions. Seems more like people are just pissed that the Switch Pro rumors were not true.

From what I have seen they are almost exactly the same. Even performance issues, both stutter in exactly the same spot. And how is the audio worse?
I looked into it, because I hadn't heard about low quality audio in Breath of The Wild for WiiU:

The audio in the switch version uses a lossless format

The audio in the WiiU version uses a lossy format. However, the bitrate is high enough, you'd be hard pressed to notice without back to back comparison.

This isn't a case like Dark Souls on Switch, where the audio is objectively less good. And that I'm not even sure is a quality issue in terms of format or bitrate. The audio seems to be mixed and mastered differently. In a way which sounds worse, like everything has a blanket over it. I have to think it was an accident. But who knows.

Last edited:
I looked it up because I was curious.

Nintendo finally started selling more digital than physical games in 2020.
https://www.thegamer.com/nintendo-digital-sales-more-than-physical/

Versus only 17% of games being physical for everything in 2018. It should be even less now.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

Well based on that 2018 figure....Nintendo has skewed much more towards digital, for awhile now, than Playstation and Xbox. Which makes sense due to portable convenience. But also an interesting push by youtubers and other influencers, to buy the biggest micro SD cards you can afford for Switch. And go all/mostly digital.
Which echoes into a general push by influencers for all gaming that.....we must have as much of our library installed at the same time, as possible.
I.E. Switch and PS5 built in storage are useless because we can't have 10 games installed at once.

PlayStation was 53% split in 2019 (August 4th 2020 investor call states 53% 2019 and 73% in 2020). And many publishers reported an average of 40 - 50% growth in digital sales last year. The pandemic really pushed digital.

None of it nullifies the fact that Nintendo dominates at the biggest etailer of physical goods, in the world.
This makes me hella sad because I don’t buy digital games (mostly, sports games can be an exception) because I like how they look on my shelves next to old consoles and comic books and other weird stuff.

I guess I’ll probably get out of console gaming once that happens because I can literally stream PC games to my TVs. I of course don’t buy physical for PC because steam/humble bundle and it just doesn’t make sense to buy a box with a code to download the game from their store lol.

I mostly buy physical games on the Switch because of portability.

For some silly reason, you need an internet connection for digital games, which makes no sense for a mobile console.

Didn't realize this and loaded up my Switch Lite with digital games for a trip, only to find out on the plane that you needed internet (and the plane WiFi was shoddy).

I mostly buy physical games on the Switch because of portability.

For some silly reason, you need an internet connection for digital games, which makes no sense for a mobile console.

Didn't realize this and loaded up my Switch Lite with digital games for a trip, only to find out on the plane that you needed internet (and the plane WiFi was shoddy).
I don't think that's correct. Single player games or single player portions of games, should not require an internet connection to play them, as long as they are already downloaded (you may have to load the game one time). And the switch you use for offline play, must be registered in your Nintendo account as your primary switch.

However, Nintendo is pretty poor at the whole online/digitial thing. So, I wouldn't be surprised if its finicky.

You absolutely do NOT need a digital connection to play downloaded games on switch.
Source: me playing a ton of games on my switch without internet. Like when camping with no WiFi or on a plane.

I mostly deal with digital games for portable consoles. A few years back, my 3DS and dozens of 3ds/ds cartridges were stolen and I lost way, way too many rare and irreplaceable games. It's even worse at $60 a game for switch titles.

Also, on Switch, cartridges are weirdly enough the slowest load times of all ways to play a game. Which is dumb.

Last edited:
Were it not delayed, you'd have played that low rez, crappy audio version of BOTW on your Wii U. You still could have done that when it released. Nintendo gave you exactly what you bought a Wii U for, you did not have to buy a Switch for the better version, you chose to. Also, If you only wanted it for one game, why did you buy a Wii U long before that game was even out? That isn't really something you can fault Nintendo for. The Wii U was very poorly received, its short life cycle was a surprise to no one.
Absolutely, if you remember though BOTW was teased as the premier game for the Wii-U. But it got delayed, and delayed, and delayed... and oh hey, new console coming out, launching with BOTW. Pure coincidence though. I bought a Wii-U when BOTW was being teased as an exclusive, and it was. It absolutely was!!! Switch wasn't even announced.

I have disposable income, i will buy a console for a great zelda game. I have a launch day switch to prove it. But i can also be peeved they screwed over wii-u owners, and continue to this day. Hey lets re-release mario kart, hey lets re-release 3d world.

The bigger irony for me, is i love playing wii-u games on the tablet, but hate playing switch games without dock+pro controller. wii-u table is better.

This YouTuber claims to have found the cause of the drift and provided a simple fix.

TL DR - There is a graphite pad on the bottom of the joystick and as the joystick ages the steel bracket holding the pad pulls away cause the poor signal. A piece of paper can help push it back into place.

Maybe you have to play the game once to "register" it. I don't know but it definitely didn't work for me.

Man the balls on nintendo are huge right now.. Saw the facebook page advertising LAN PORT and New Stand among other things on all new switch ROFL. Never thought I would see a game console advertise those two things in 2021 hahaha.

Last edited:
Maybe you have to play the game once to "register" it. I don't know but it definitely didn't work for me.
I bought a Switch for my son, and got a copy of Pokemon Shield (physical), and then I bought the downloadable DLC. Then I got myself a Switch Lite. Due to doing it that way, the first switch was my "primary" system, and the Lite a secondary--in Nintendo's parlance. When I played Shield on the Lite it was fine. But when I downloaded the DLC onto the Lite, it started requiring Internet. Nintendo's got a FAQ about it--more or less, it's "non-physical games on secondary devices phone home" to verify you're allowed to use the game. IIRC the claim is to make sure you're not playing it on two consoles at the same time.

Probably because almost no one but Switch players buy physical games.
I prefer buying physical games if given the option; I can resell 'em, share 'em with friends for a bit, even display 'em on a shelf if I wanted to. Too bad some physical console releases can be quite pricey. (Many of them are only sold through Limited Run Games, whose releases are, as you might guess, limited.)

Given Nintendo's particularly obnoxious means of tying games to the console rather than the account until the Switch (Wii, Wii U, DSi and 3DS all did it at first), it gives even more incentive to go physical.

Alas, when you're a PC gamer, you generally don't get the option at all in the first place, and if you do, it's usually a Steam code in a box, making the point entirely moot since there's no neat feelies or anything to go with it like the old days when PC boxes were huge and had equally huge manuals and other trinkets. (The Witcher 1 and 2 were some of the rare aversions in the post-digital age, don't know about 3.)

Tough to say if F-Zero is a seriously viable franchise for Nintendo, but I feel pretty confident they could toss a sequel/successor together with the exact same courses and it would be profitable.
Add a course creator like the 64DD-only Expansion Kit, and online play (which GX didn't have) with the full roster of 41 (potentially more) racers if they can swing it, along with reasonably modernized visuals and maybe native GameCube controller support like Smash (analog triggers for finer control over slide/strafe movements), and I'd be happy with that.

...come to think of it, 41 racers on the same track? Cue someone following recent trends and bringing back that F-Zero X Death Race mode as some kind of Battle Royale. Okay, maybe I shouldn't joke about that, but if Tetris and Super Mario Bros. of all things get the Battle Royale treatment already, it wouldn't be that far-fetched.

But yeah, there's still room for improvement in the series, and it's been so long that a followup would be welcome, unlike certain other franchises that get full-priced installments literally every year.

" Nintendo's Refurb Store is a Gold Mine for Switch Fans " or so said the article

" Nintendo's Refurb Store is a Gold Mine for Switch Fans " or so said the article
Nintendo does a fantastic job with their factory refurb stuff. They always have. When I was a kid I had my SNES repaired by them and it looked brand new when I got it back. I also have bought a Wii U from them and it was in perfect condition.

not gonna buy the oled thingy, i think if you want just the screen to be like vita phat. then thats the right stuff for you but in my case not gonna need the OLED anymore since i dock it always.

Back