New OLED Nintendo Switch dropping October 8th

Yeah, definitely won't be replacing my existing Switch for the OLED (I mainly play dock). Screen does look beautiful on this one though.

Hopefully the rumored DLSS-equipped Switch is still in the works.

Interesting that they added a built-in LAN port. That's long been a sticking point in the Smash and Mario Kart communities, but at this point there are 80 million Switches out there and 75% of them are playing on Wi-Fi.
I play mine docked almost exclusively (with a LAN adapter), so I have no need for this.

If availability is decent I may trade in my original Switch and Switch Lite to get one.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Classic Nintendo, man people will be pissed.

Only $50 more than the standard switch? As one who never got a switch, but thought about getting one and had those dreams crushed due to pandemic demand (and dirty filthy scalpers making sure that only those who were willing to pay huge bucks could get them), that never happened.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Classic Nintendo, man people will be pissed.

I bought a Switch a few months ago. I knew a newer one was coming out. Glad I didn't wait. I use mine docked for the majority of gaming. When I do play it portable, I don't care much about the difference in screens. However, if I were to be buying one brand new right now (well, October), I'd get the newer one. Beautiful screen. Just not the selling point for me. It's still just the same ol' Switch hooked up to my TV.

“Nintendo Switch (OLED model) does not have a new CPU, or more RAM, from previous Nintendo Switch models,” says a Nintendo spokesperson

...So all they did was slap a slightly larger display, upgraded their mediocre-at-launch system storage, and a couple negligible things. I was hoping for something more than just that and a price bump. Like the rumored DLSS stuff, and maybe a revised soc (since the original can't seem to do anything more than native 900p and is either upscaled or downscaled)

...and we still don't have a new Mario Kart, either. This post-millennium version of Nintendo never ceases to disappoint me. Sakurai is the only person over there that gives me anything I want.

+++++++Profit $$$$$$$

Raise the price by $50 and are probably spending less on parts than the existing one when you factor in other reductions they can make with a new design.

So Nintendo is selling this new Switch with a 720p OLED display for $50 more then the regular Switch. Meh... not interested but not bad for you don't currently own one.

...and we still don't have a new Mario Kart, either. This post-millennium version of Nintendo never ceases to disappoint me. Sakurai is the only person over there that gives me anything I want.
Has there ever been more than one version of Mario Kart per console though?

So today's announcement where I see it is interesting. They added an Ethernet LAN port (which isn't the biggest selling point on this model really) but we don't know how capable this port will be. Is it a Gigabit Ethernet port (at the very least) or a 10/100 Base T Ethernet port? Also, the new screen does look shiny, the audio speakers on handheld and the kickstand is welcome but there isn't much else here. Some reports claim they are using the same nVIDIA Tegra X1 the current Switch revision 2 is using which I can't say that's the best idea because that SOC from nVIDIA is EOL with nVIDIA so maybe we see a different revision they settled on which provides the same CPU/GPU capabilities or Nintendo made a deal with nVIDIA to extend the currently in use Mariko SOC's lifespan where nVIDIA continues to make the SOC for Nintendo exclusively. To say it like Rob Schneider in Necessary Roughness, "Let's see what they do..." Out!

Is the new dock going to replace the old one for regular Switch consoles in the future? Would make sense to include it with all Switch versions that are dock compatible.

Ideally they will discontinue the original Switch and replace it with the OLED version while dropping the price of it down to $300. Probably might do that as original Switch models sell out.

So today's announcement where I see it is interesting. They added an Ethernet LAN port (which isn't the biggest selling point on this model really) but we don't know how capable this port will be. Is it a Gigabit Ethernet port (at the very least) or a 10/100 Base T Ethernet port? Also, the new screen does look shiny, the audio speakers on handheld and the kickstand is welcome but there isn't much else here. Some reports claim they are using the same nVIDIA Tegra X1 the current Switch revision 2 is using which I can't say that's the best idea because that SOC from nVIDIA is EOL with nVIDIA so maybe we see a different revision they settled on which provides the same CPU/GPU capabilities or Nintendo made a deal with nVIDIA to extend the currently in use Mariko SOC's lifespan where nVIDIA continues to make the SOC for Nintendo exclusively. To say it like Rob Schneider in Necessary Roughness, "Let's see what they do..." Out!
It was EoL’d by NVidia but what are the chances they changed their tune given they don’t really have room to n their other nodes right now for the switch’s supposed new SOC. At least not room at the price Nintendo would be willing to pay at least.

“Nintendo Switch (OLED model) does not have a new CPU, or more RAM, from previous Nintendo Switch models,” says a Nintendo spokesperson

...So all they did was slap a slightly larger display, upgraded their mediocre-at-launch system storage, and a couple negligible things. I was hoping for something more than just that and a price bump. Like the rumored DLSS stuff, and maybe a revised soc (since the original can't seem to do anything more than native 900p and is either upscaled or downscaled)
it has 64gb instead of 32 gb built in storage a bigger kickstand and a 7 inch oled display vs 6.2 inch also supposedly the oled switch has better speakers it also likely uses the updated tegra x1 from the switch lite not the OG one I would bet money the new dock is gonna get sold separately as well

IMHO the system memory should have always been upgradable no reason they could have put a slot to take one like this https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inte...1&keywords=m.2+2230+ssd&qid=1625605365&sr=8-3 with the system os on the bios it could even encrypt it so that it could not be taken from the system and put in a normal pc and unless it was put back unchanged it could have been setup to format it again.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It was EoL’d by NVidia but what are the chances they changed their tune
I can't remember--was it a stock X1 or a custom version? Also, this is exactly the kind of situation where nVIdia's got reason to keep making the chip just for Nintendo, even if nobody else can buy it. (Either that or "7-8 figure lifetime buy", which surely will by Jensen a lot of leather jackets.)

I can't remember--was it a stock X1 or a custom version? Also, this is exactly the kind of situation where nVIdia's got reason to keep making the chip just for Nintendo, even if nobody else can buy it. (Either that or "7-8 figure lifetime buy", which surely will by Jensen a lot of leather jackets.)
It was a stock X1, maybe with some extra clock speeds. But the initial chips used the 20nm, they later moved it to 16nm. And they have announced it's going EoL but they didn't give it a date but their 12nm and 8nm production lines are pretty full and certainly doesn't have space right now certainly not the amount of space to supply somebody like Nintendo for a new launch. If they put out a new Switch on 8nm with all that new jazz it would sell off the shelves like mad. Nintendo likes smooth launches and I doubt they would appreciate a PS5 style launch.

And they have announced it's going EoL but they didn't give it a date
Sure. All I'm saying is, if I were going to EoL a product except for one big customer, who I might instead do a one-off run as a lifetime buy, I might not announce to the rest of the world "hey, we're making ten million more for Nintendo, but you can't have any."

Sure. All I'm saying is, if I were going to EoL a product except for one big customer, who I might instead do a one-off run as a lifetime buy, I might not announce to the rest of the world "hey, we're making ten million more for Nintendo, but you can't have any."
I think they had every intention of launching this switch with an updated chip. But NVidia couldn’t deliver in the needed quantities so Nintendo just went OK, well how many of the old chips can you get us by the end of the month.

The version of Mario Kart on the Switch is still the same game as the WiiU version, Mario Kart 8. It came out in 2014.
There have been so many different Mario cart games. Seriously how much can they do to differentiate at this point...
Mario games in general are so overdone. Still great sometimes, but fully cooked.

There have been so many different Mario cart games. Seriously how much can they do to differentiate at this point...
Mario games in general are so overdone. Still great sometimes, but fully cooked.
I bought a wii-u specifically for the new open world zelda game they promised, then they delayed and delayed it until i had to buy a switch to play it. Lame. But the point is, the Mario game that came on wii-u, was a bit fun, but boring. I think when i beat it my first time playing, i had like 75 lives queued up. The game was meant for children. Thats been their model ever since, they don't make games for adults who grew up playing SNES. Sucks.

Reactions: travm
like this
Seems decent, but also not anything to get too excited about if you already have one.

Still waiting for a new Metroid Prime...

Far less than I was hoping for, but probably what I should have expected.

Not gonna run out and buy one immediately, but I'm glad it's a better model than launch.

Really can't wait to see a breakdown on the internals of this thing, might be worth it if it has a superior cooling or a better battery.

I already did a complete breakdown and rebuild of my switch a few months back. It's been working a ton better since then. (It's somewhere on the console side of the forum.)

If they bumped it to 1080p that would require a CPU/GPU upgrade (which I was hoping they would do, but alas).
yeah its basically an issue of power usage. To do 1080p in portable mode (running off the battery), a generational/architectural improvement is required, to be able to push that much graphics power, for roughly the same power usage.

However, 720p is plenty of pixels for 7 inch screens. I think a potential performance boost would be better served to hit 60fps in more games, while portable. Save the resolution boost for docked mode.

Far less than I was hoping for, but probably what I should have expected.

Not gonna run out and buy one immediately, but I'm glad it's a better model than launch.

Really can't wait to see a breakdown on the internals of this thing, if it has a superior cooling or a better battery.
They already had a refresh of the regular switch model. 12% better battery life. Screen is brighter and more color accurate. (the original switch screen wasn't very color accurate and had less color gamut).

I bought a wii-u specifically for the new open world zelda game they promised, then they delayed and delayed it until i had to buy a switch to play it. Lame. But the point is, the Mario game that came on wii-u, was a bit fun, but boring. I think when i beat it my first time playing, i had like 75 lives queued up. The game was meant for children. Thats been their model ever since, they don't make games for adults who grew up playing SNES. Sucks.
So like the same demographic they always been targeting? Nintendo is not suppose to grow with you.

Back