New main drive for oldish laptop. PCIe-3

ElevenFingers

Limp Gawd
I would like to replace the 256 Gb MZVLW256HEHP (Samsung 960 Evo) in my partner's laptop with a 2TB PCIe-3.0 drive. It's for her Lenovo Yoga 730-15IKB (81CU0036MH), which she likes and doesn't want to replace. I don't want to overspend but I also don't want to unnecessarily throttle her PC. I'm currently considering two products: Crucial P3 or WD Blue SN570. They cost 139 and 147 euros respectively.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
thoughts about what? seems like a normal thing to do and the drives are about equal. get whichever is cheaper.

Subjectively, for most users, SSD's are a commodity item just like soap -- as long as you buy an established and/or well-reviewed brand, it's unlikely that you will notice any difference among drives. So, the question is what does she do with the computer? Users who do a LOT of writing, or who push around multi-gigabyte files all day long, can benefit from a more capable drive. Most people can just buy on price and be perfectly happy.

The NV2 will get the job done. It has fairly dismal random write performance on paper (still better than some drives); in real life it's good enough for most users.

I think I spent too much time reading reviews and watching techtubes. I was worried about dram, tlc vs qlc, etc.

Thanks!

Girls don't care or ever notice. She will likely break it withing 48 hours anyway. That's how it rolls in my home.

I think I spent too much time reading reviews and watching techtubes. I was worried about dram, tlc vs qlc, etc.

Thanks!
Unless they are doing large file work or moving around larger files all the time, cacheless wont matter really.

I would like to replace the 256 Gb MZVLW256HEHP (Samsung 960 Evo) in my partner's laptop with a 2TB PCIe-3.0 drive. It's for her Lenovo Yoga 730-15IKB (81CU0036MH), which she likes and doesn't want to replace. I don't want to overspend but I also don't want to unnecessarily throttle her PC. I'm currently considering two products: Crucial P3 or WD Blue SN570. They cost 139 and 147 euros respectively.

Your thoughts?
Any of the drives would be perfectly fine. Don’t waste $100 of time to save 15 bucks on a drive. Do you have a way to clone the existing drive?

Back