New iPhone 4

marshac

American Hero
So my wife and I jumped ship from windows mobile- she had a HTC Diamond, and I had a HTC Touch Pro2- after months of complaining that she wanted to throw her phone across the room, we finally placed an order for two 32GB iPhone 4s. I've gotta say, these suckers are nothing short of amazing, and the new iOS 4 is pretty slick. Last night we had our first FaceTime call, and our 7mo daughter could see her mom on the phone- she laughed and was reaching for the screen- totally cute. I'm now trying to get my parents to switch to iPhones as well so that we have more people to call via FaceTime. In WinMo, switching between EVDO and WiFi was a serious pain, and would cause A2DP audio streaming to studier during the transition- I'm loving how seamless the switch is on the iPhone- I don't even have to think about it (and my data usage has been surprisingly low as a result). It's also nice not having to sift through a dozen ROMs trying to find one that performs decent, and provides the desired level of functionality. Regarding the 'death grip', I have seen this happen on my phone, although not to the point where service drops out. I got a screen protector and ifrogz case at BestBuy, and this seems to have fixed whatever reception problem may have existed before. I'm not a big fan of phone cases, although I do really like this ifrogz case- it's slim, and will probably protect the phone if/when I drop it.

There are a few minor things I would like to change (audio alerts, etc), and I understand that I can change them if I jailbreak my phone, although i'm not sure how to go about that yet. Any suggestions on where to start?

Also, does anyone know of an app (other than Qik) that allows for video conferencing using any of the IM apps?

A jailbreak for the iPhone 4 is in the works but there is no ETA. as far as video calling other then FaceTime look at Fring

I did a jail break on my 3G at one time, really didn't much that I personally needed. I suppose if you are looking for something specific to tweak then do your research if jail breaking will help you.

Put another way, jail breaking did not add any functionality to me personally. If you are new to the phone, leave it as is. You did mention that sifting through ROMs was not all that much fun. Jail breaking is somewhat similar to that.

Try it stock and see if you like it.

Jailbreak is coming. Only thing I really use it for is free tethering.

I think that iOS has made so much progress that, at this point, jailbreaking is only for people who HAVE to have access to esoteric/unauthorized software, like emulators and such. I'm not too concerned about those things so I will stick with the official software.

I think that iOS has made so much progress that, at this point, jailbreaking is only for people who HAVE to have access to esoteric/unauthorized software, like emulators and such. I'm not too concerned about those things so I will stick with the official software.

SBSettings is a must have.

I can switch on and off wifi and term processes in seconds... i won't live without it.

The only reason I care to jailbreak my phone is so that I can change the various alert sounds (new email for example)- that "dong" noise is just too much- if I forget to silence my phone, I don't want any noises that might accidentally be produced to be disruptive.

SBSettings is a must have.

I can switch on and off wifi and term processes in seconds... i won't live without it.

I agree, I couldn't live without it.

I also love the 3G unrestrictor application. It makes the phone a lot more convenient

What's the need to turn off wifi so often?

Helps with battery. Have you seen the iphone wifi exploits? Have connected to wifi that is slower than 3g before... i can switch back to 3g inside the app.

It's helpful, trust me.

I leave wifi on now all the time so that I can receive facetime calls.

Back