New Holiday Build - Proxmox, Plex, Storage Server - Input Requested

Dark_Falcon

Weaksauce
Hello, I'm currently looking to upgrade/build a Proxmox VM Server to host a Storage/File/Plex Server and a few misc Linux and Windows VMs. I currently have several separate machines which host these individual services. I would like to reuse an existing rack mounted case that I am currently using for my fileserver, a Norco 4220. I know it's old, but it works for my purposes. I'm also planning on reusing the network cards (unless anyone recommends something worth the upgrade cost) and, of course, the storage drives. I included the 'keep' items in the build just for clarity.

My total budget is around $3000.00 (but I can go more if there is a reason to do so) and I live in the US.

Any help/guidance on the existing/new parts lists as described below is very much appreciated.

Note: Link to pcpartpicker....
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jWrbW3

What are your use cases? Is this just for home/personal stuff? How many VMs total are you planning on running? How important is performance vs cost for you? Why does your server need a GPU?

Depending on the answers to the above questions, you could save a couple grand and go with an LGA2011 based system like the one I recently built:

Supermicro X9DRi-F
Dual Xeon E5 2690V2
192gb EEC DDR3 (which is insanely cheap right now)

You could find a board with more SAS ports, assuming you would need more than the 1 it provides (I see 2 dual SAS cards in your build list). Keep in mind, if you stick with the DDR3 based 2011 boards, your core count tops out as 24C/48T, and those would be fairly lethargic cores by modern standards, 2697V2s run @ 2.7ghz (I chose the 2690 due to the slightly higher per core speed, price is almost the same).

I also dont know if any of those boards would come with an M2 slot built in, you would most likely need an adapter to make M.2 work (cheap on ebay). That 10gb NIC you listed was always one ive been interested in, but years ago there were a lot of reports of it not being able to sustain 10g, might be somthing you want to look into before purchasing it. As for your current list, its a bit too "nice" to be a server IMO, mainly the motherboard/GPU and PSU. You dont need 1200W, nor do you need a $450 motherboard to run (what is hopefully) a stock clocked CPU. It would definitely be a nice system though, no doubt about that.

Back