New Core Hardware Build 9900k (pics inside) ~ Fin

Spartacus09

[H]ard|Gawd
AKeukAtl.jpg

Will be upgrading my gaming rig core after many years of waiting finally bit the bullet with some extra cash targeting 5.0 on all cores once I get everything installed and stable.
I'll post some final shots in the Fractal R5, with the 1070 and H110i GTX I already have after cable managing.

Intel Core i9 9900k
EVGA Z390 Mobo
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x 16gb 3200 CL16
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB

Last edited:
Up and running at stock, had to fight it for stability for a couple of hours, finally figured out it wanted a stupid amount of voltage 1.25v to stay stable at stock over auto (I assume because of the turbo likely).
I upgraded to the latest bios and that helped substantially with the OC bot recommendation, ram XMP timings, and the overall ease of use (those with this board I recommend doing that first).
Playing around with the CPU multiplier now and will run some benches after its stable.
Here's what it used to look like with my Ivy Bridge so aiming for this clean or better:

nhUQtB6l.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the before work from initial base testing to make sure everything was working up to par.

d4OcRTdl.jpg

Additional note: was able to push to 5.0 on all cores stable with the same 1.25v originally required, I'll likely try dropping it down to see the minimum for it next.

Last edited:
2aid2f.png

DEprGKym.jpg
JKSt2Zsm.jpg

And the final result (though i lost a pcie blank somewhere I gotta find):

bz48aY7l.jpg

Last edited:
I think I saw this on Reddit. Did you change PSU? I have that AX750 too. I'm thinking about putting and AMD rig in there using that old thing.

I think I saw this on Reddit. Did you change PSU? I have that AX750 too. I'm thinking about putting and AMD rig in there using that old thing.
Yep it used to be an AX750, I upgraded to the plat version when the 750 warranty ran out.
Didn't want to risk a new system on a 10y old PSU even though its been working great if everything wasn't brand new I would have just left the old PSU.

I will say, I don't need it, but the new R6 looks even nicer than the R5 with the PSU cover, single 5.25 bay at the top, and vertical GPU mount option.

Nice overclock BTW. I let the BIOS do it's thing and I hit 5.1GHz on all cores running 1.32V.

Nice overclock BTW. I let the BIOS do it's thing and I hit 5.1GHz on all cores running 1.32V.
I did the same the OC bot got me put me up to 5.2ghz but thats at a uncomfortable temp level

I was able to do basic runs of 5.1 at 1.29v and even 5.2 at about 1.31v but its getting in the high 90s on full load, and I did have a AVX of 2 so I'm not sure if its quite stable.
I gotta pick up a delid kit and copper top to see if I can cut that down, I'm really trying to avoid a custom loop but for how good of a chip it seems I received I'm having a hard time not springing for it to see how far it can go.

Last edited:
I was able to do basic runs of 5.1 at 1.3v and even 5.2 at about 1.32v but its getting in the high 90s on full load, and I did have a AVX of 2 so I'm not sure if its quite accurate or stable.
I gotta pick up a delid kit and copper top to see if I can cut that down, I'm really trying to avoid a custom loop but for how good of a chip it seems I received I'm having a hard time not springing for it to see how far it can go.

I don't go above 75C with 1.32V. Guess I have a good chip. I want to manually overclock but man it looks a lot more complicated than my 2600K and P67 almost a decade ago lol. Do you have a good guide by any chance?

I don't go above 75C with 1.32V. Guess I have a good chip. I want to manually overclock but man it looks a lot more complicated than my 2600K and P67 almost a decade ago lol. Do you have a good guide by any chance?
Depends what you use to test, each benchmark/burnin test and settings works a little different and can be higher or lower on the load/temp depending on what you test.
That being said the solder application and manufacturing varying has a strong effect too, hence why I wanna delid it :).
Manually OC'ing isn't much more complicated, all depends on what you're wanting to tweak, I'm just messing with the multiplier and core voltage currently, haven't had to mess with anything else to get stable.
Heat is my big adversary.

Back