New Build: Random Black Screens

Bland_JamesBland

Weaksauce
My stepson built his first PC and it's been a headache, both for him and I. I haven't done anything with PC's since my old A10 build 5 years ago and I know a LOT has changed.

His build:
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450-A Pro
  • Corsair 16GB 3200
  • Gigabye RTX 2070 Super OC
  • Seasonic Focus 650W
  • Team G2 SSD (I don't know size)
  • Win10 Home
So he went a head and just ordered everything, it all showed up and I helped him assemble it the weekend before last. Initially, it wouldn't post. The debug LED's would bounce around and then it would go to boot. We tried different hdmi cables and then a DP cable and finally got video. He installed windows and about halfway through, it would go to a black screen. We cleared CMOS and re-seated the GPU and ram. Then I noticed he was using a 550W psu from Corsair, I looked up the manufacturer GPU specs and they reccomended a 650W, so I ordered him a new one so he could send back his with minimal downtime (not that it was running anyway). Got new PSU and it seemed to be stable, he got online and updated the drivers, we updated the bios for the motherboard and it seemed fine then randomly black screens. He was watching a video and it did it, but the sound kept playing, so I don't think the system is crashing. He also noted that the fans on the GPU go to max after black screen, and then stop.

At this point I'm baffled, we RMA'd the mobo but I'm starting to think its the GPU. Any suggestions?

Are you running the latest chipset drivers from AMD? Also, I've read around the interwebs of many folks not having good luck with Corsair RAM when running in AMD systems.

Here's a question, what kind of monitor are you hooking this up to? Do you have GSync enabled and adaptive sync enabled in monitor options? If yes to any of this, disable it for now and retest with any gsync/adaptive sync enabled on both video card and monitor.

Are you running the latest chipset drivers from AMD? Also, I've read around the interwebs of many folks not having good luck with Corsair RAM when running in AMD systems.
Yes we've update the bios to the latest version... RAM might be a possibility.

Here's a question, what kind of monitor are you hooking this up to? Do you have GSync enabled and adaptive sync enabled in monitor options? If yes to any of this, disable it for now and retest with any gsync/adaptive sync enabled on both video card and monitor.
You know I'm not sure. It might be a FreeSync monitor. I'll have him disable that.

You know I'm not sure. It might be a FreeSync monitor. I'll have him disable that.
Yes, if it's FreeSync, disable it and test again. I had an AOC monitor with FreeSync with a 1080. When I enable adaptive sync on the monitor and G-Sync within Nvidia control panel, I would randomly get black screening.

BIOS and chipset driver are two different things. Go to AMD and get the latest chipset driver and install that.

Back