New Athlon II X4 build; CoreTemp reading 31°C during P95?

stateofjermaine

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, just finished this build for my sisters:

Lian Li PC-V351
Athlon II X4 620 OC 3.0GHz (stock cooling)
GIGABYTE AM3 785G Motherboard
4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
500GB Caviar Blue
Enermax Liberty ECO 400W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I have been road testing it for about 24 hours, and everything is running great. The only problem I have is that I can't seem to get CoreTemp to read correctly. It reads the core frequency on all four cores correctly, but only reads the temp on Core#0. Beyond that, even with a 3GHz overclock, stock cooling, it reads 31°C during P95 testing. I have heard that I shouldn't rush to update the BIOS, so I am looking for some other ideas. Thoughts?

Last edited:
well thats weird.. what is your idle temp reading at? im guessing like 10C? only other thing i could suggest is turning on speed fan.. then loading up the processor and seeing what temps change.. maybe the bios is overriding the core die sensor with its own.. or that chip just has a bad sensor in it..

Idle temp reads 31C, load temp reads 31C. HW Monitor gives me the same numbers on the CPU, but the other temps do change under load.

Idle temp reads 31C, load temp reads 31C. HW Monitor gives me the same numbers on the CPU, but the other temps do change under load.

look for the temp that changes the most.. typically the one that goes over 50C that should be the cpu temp.. it may be the socket temp but at least its something.. my guess is the sensor on the chips stuck.. as long as the system isnt throttling its self under p95 (check this with cpu-z when its running) then it should be fine..

Huh, how weird! Everything is acting quite normal, now. Ah, well. Temps are topping out around 63°C. I'm not familiar with AMD processors . . . is this alright? Also, the default CPU VCORE is showing 1.47V—maybe it's just the Intel in me, but that looks high.

yeah its high.. your right on the edge of the thermal limit.. i would try lowering the voltage if you could.. 1.47v is a wee bit high for a 3ghz overclock..

My temps are 30/32C at load on P95 too....My idle temps are anywhere from 21/26C.

Dropped the voltage to 1.35V . . . the system didn't like 1.3V. Temps are topping out around 54°C, now.

Last edited:
Back