New and Improved Watercooling Sticky - Post Your Systems Here

So when you described your loop as "filthy", what did you mean exactly?

Yeah Cryofuel once upon a time was rebranded Mayhems X1, then it wasn't and that's when it started having reports of gunking and other issues. Even the clear.
That was me.

This was after flushing with hot vinegar, round two was caustic soda. In the bucket is the caustic soda flush. I'll put it in spoiler tags becuase it could induce trauma.
20240331_121936.jpg

How would I even be able to calculate the amount of resistance my radiators and blocks have without a flow meter?
I have the EK quantum kinetic D5 pump res combo and then I have the quantum vector 2 gpU block and the quantum velocity 2 CPU block with four alpha cool rads. Just looking at the EK blocks they look like they are very high resistance because of the jet plate and the tiny microfin areas. Also all of the fittings are angled and some are even double rotaries.
I don't notice a very big difference going from 30% or 40% to like for example 80% or 100%. I would say probably less than 10°?
What temperature difference are you guys seeing going from 25% to 50 to 75 to 100?

I run my D5 at 100% all the time. DC motors, and pumps are at their most efficient this way.
There is noticable temperature differences between running 50% and 100% while gaming. I have some pretty wicked OC's and they are not stable at 50%.

How would I even be able to calculate the amount of resistance my radiators and blocks have without a flow meter?
I have the EK quantum kinetic D5 pump res combo and then I have the quantum vector 2 gpU block and the quantum velocity 2 CPU block with four alpha cool rads. Just looking at the EK blocks they look like they are very high resistance because of the jet plate and the tiny microfin areas. Also all of the fittings are angled and some are even double rotaries.
I don't notice a very big difference going from 30% or 40% to like for example 80% or 100%. I would say probably less than 10°?
What temperature difference are you guys seeing going from 25% to 50 to 75 to 100?
EK blocks are generally low resistance. My Techn AM4 CPU block probably has almost as much resistance to your GPU+CPU block combined. You could find reviews that measure the pressure drop on your blocks and radiators and then find the flow and pressure vs pump speed on your pump/res combo, then add a little bit for tubing and you would have rough guestimate of your flow rate. For a precise reading you would need an in-line flow meter, but a guestimate would probably be accurate to +/- 0.2gpm.

I use EK Kinetic D5 comboes as well (EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM). When I am at around 1gpm I can barely see a hint of a vortex with about 2.5-3cm of air left to the top of the res. At 0.7gpm I can se a tiny bit of movement on the top of the water in the res, but barely noticable.

Found some old numbers from when I used a 5900x on the same waterblock running cinebench continously (stable state temps). Water temp was measured exiting the water block before the radiator. The higher temp on the lower flow rates Each waterblock is different though and the Techn AM4 barely cares about flow, but IIRC the EK block I used to use differed much more between 50% and 100% and I definitely had more flow rate.

Pump at 100%
  • Die average: 56.1
  • Watertemp out of CPU block: 27.1
  • Flowrate: 266.8 l/h
Pump at 50%
  • Die average: 56.7
  • Watertemp out of CPU block: 27.3
  • Flowrate: 102.6 l/h
Pump at 27%
  • Die average: 58.7
  • Watertemp out of CPU block: 29.3
  • Flowrate: 31.6 l/h