New 7700X would not boost past 4.5Ghz

jhatfie

[H]ard|Gawd
Just picked up a new 7700X and Asus Prime X670 Pro Wifi. Everything installed fine and fired up fine at default settings. Noticed that the cpu was not clocking above 4.5Ghz on any core and stuck at 0.6v even at 100% load, so I went into the bios and enabled EXPO. Then went and made sure PBO was enabled. Loaded back into Windows and same deal, nothing changed. I was using my previous windows install, so figured it was time and nuked it and started fresh. Still the same problem on fresh windows install. Did all manner of fiddling with PBO settings and yet, voltage and clocks still the same. Updated to the newest bios, same deal. Temps are low, 35C idle to 55C max during cinebench.

Well..........turns out after wasting hours, it was the default windows power plan limiting my clocks. Selected the Performance plan and BAM, 5.5Ghz single core and 5.2Ghz all core. I've had that happen before so not sure why I did not remember it from last time, I guess I can chalk it up to old age. Anyway, in case anyone else has a similar problem, there ya go.

1670119975830.png

Last edited:
Just picked up a new 7700X and Asus Prime X670 Pro Wifi. Everything installed fine and fired up fine at default settings. Noticed that the cpu was not clocking above 4.5Ghz on any core and stuck at 0.6v even at 100% load, so I went into the bios and enabled EXPO. Then went and made sure PBO was enabled. Loaded back into Windows and same deal, nothing changed. I was using my previous windows install, so figured it was time and nuked it and started fresh. Still the same problem on fresh windows install. Did all manner of fiddling with PBO settings and yet, voltage and clocks still the same. Updated to the newest bios, same deal. Temps are low, 35C idle to 55C max during cinebench.

Well..........turns out after wasting hours, it was the default windows power plan limiting my clocks. Selected the Performance plan and BAM, 5.5Ghz single core and 5.2Ghz all core. I've had that happen before so not sure why I did not remember it from last time, I guess I can chalk it up to old age. Anyway, in case anyone else has a similar problem, there ya go.

View attachment 531630
Im on balanced and no issues witt clocks on my 7700x but Ive run into this same issue with other cpus

Always check you power plan after a major win update / chipset driver.

It is known..

Funny, yesterday I was stumped as to why the rear usb ports on my B650 TUF were still supplying power even though it was off in the bios, turns out it was windows fast boot.....Windows can throw wrench in things every once in a while.

Manually set it to performance, but check once in a while after updates to make sure it didn’t get changed.

That’s been an issue, and I don’t do locked core freq and voltage anymore as a response.

AGESA 1003 re-introduces the Precision Boost C-State Boost Limiter to 5500Mhz

You can always do what I did overclock AMD 7700X to 5700Mhz all core cyberpunk 2077

i have newest windows 11, high performance power settings (i assume that rules out the first comment on windows making it go slower), newest amd drivers and bios.
i have corsair h150i lcd cooling my 7700x on x x670 steel legend from asrock. same here its efficient, but mine too is stuck at even 100% load 4.491 ghz. ive tried stock bios ive tried manually changing bios looked at windows power settings made amd ryzen master take hour to ''overclock'' all core but despite making changes its stil stuck there.
u guys got any advice? id love to know how to fix this. thanks in advance.

Back