New 5800X Running Hot

Wondering if I should do this. Do they send a replacement before you return the current CPU?
You need to ship yours first so that they can physically inspect it before the final approval. So ready a spare cpu while you're waiting for a new one to arrive.

I know this isn't helpful but I've had nothing but a peach of a time with ASUS X570-F, beta BIOS from December and a 5800X. Like, no issues at all. Running h150i (360mm) so my temps will be low to begin with but I idle mid high 30s and Windows surfing and stuff barely 50C. Gaming 65C or lower, Cinebench 75C max. GPU is a Gigabyte 3070

This is almost identical to my experience. I feel bad for people that are having a different experience. I'm running a dark hero with the latest 1.2.0.0 agesa beta bios. I have a dark rock air cooler with a 3090ftw3u under it on stock air. Idle is mid 30s on cpu, gaming doesn't go above 75c and cinebench r20 under 82 max. Most settings I have are at auto. I have pbo2 enabled with negative 10 in curve optimizer, vsoc at 1.1v, memory at 1.4v, and 3800/1900 memory/fclk frequency. All core will boost to 4.6ghz and single core as high as 5.05ghz. I feel like I had more issues tweaking in the beginning because I was trying to tweak too many settings with dram calculator and other tools. I read over on overclock.net shamino (amd engineer apparently) basically say the less you change from auto the better. I would suggest for those having issues, assuming you've already checked your mounting and paste job to go back to stock and try pbo2 with curve optimizer to lower the voltage.

I would hope most of the issues are user error, but I think most people on this forum know what they are doing and that is probably not the case. So it's just a shame that there is that much variance from one sample to the next with these chips. I'm glad AMD has a competitive product again, but it just sucks for those not getting good samples. It especially sucks due to supply shortages.

I feel your pain brother. Personally been stuck on team blue since core2duo. My new 5900x on an ekw 360 certainly throws some unexpected voltage and temp readings.

1.47v would be a cause for panic on any recent intel chip. Apparently its no big deal here because it's only few cores at a time and not whole chip.

But I still keep seeing some odd spikes. For instance I can run 24xprime 95 and voltage, temp, and power are totally stable. But web browsing and suddenly I am @ 60c? Again, I bet if I looked into it it's just one core that is that hot but it causes all my fans to fire up so it's dramatic. I suppose if I could set cpu fan thermals to base off a chipwide average or something that might work better.

What's not helping, is that Due to shortages I had to settle for a non water-cooled 3090 and I am noticing that when that sucker heats up and all its heat starts rising up into my cpu fan even my cpu doing nothing can suddenly shoot to 70-80~c. So that is adding a layer of complexity.

Guess my other main annoyances are that on my hero viii I can't find xmp profiles which were such a nice and simple solution. I am too old to be messing with dozens of ram settings and testing each one for stability. But I don't like that my high end 3600 ram is running at 2400 with loose timings.

Also annoyed at the 6 different programs I am running just to keep an eye on temps and to turn off 🌈 trash. But that is hardly unique to any one company, except that intel and amd will have to be the ones to enforce all in one command solutions for such things.
I have not problem to cool my 5600x, my watercooling is custom loop and temp on my water cannot go over 20-21C.
Under OCCT Small Data Set my CPU temp without limit can jump max 80-87C (70-74C in Cinebench).
But when you limit it by temp all other settings can be leaved at auto and the CPU can boost how much it want in this temps.

My 5800x gets to 90c pretty quickly when using Handbrake and stays there for hours while processing overnight.

It's certainly higher than my Intel processors, but I'm getting great performance, and even benchmarks are solid, with passmark reporting my 30k CPU score is supposedly above average compared to other 5800x chips, even some overclocked ones. I realise benchmarks are a bit artificial, but real world performance seems good, and even AMD says 90c is perfectly normal.

Everything else with this chip seems fine.

Perhaps people are overreacting to "high temps". Other than bragging rights (over temps) or emotion, is there any reason why I should care that my high performing 5800x gets to 90c? Because if not, perhaps people should focus more on their CPU performance instead...

If you don't have PBO on, you should work on your cooling and case ventilation. But if you do, the chip will basically boost until it hits 90C, unless you have extremely high-end cooling.

My 5800x gets to 90c pretty quickly when using Handbrake and stays there for hours while processing overnight.

It's certainly higher than my Intel processors, but I'm getting great performance, and even benchmarks are solid, with passmark reporting my 30k CPU score is supposedly above average compared to other 5800x chips, even some overclocked ones. I realise benchmarks are a bit artificial, but real world performance seems good, and even AMD says 90c is perfectly normal.

Everything else with this chip seems fine.

Perhaps people are overreacting to "high temps". Other than bragging rights (over temps) or emotion, is there any reason why I should care that my high performing 5800x gets to 90c? Because if not, perhaps people should focus more on their CPU performance instead...
You do sound like a bit of a jerk, to put it nicely, when first asking if temps are OK and then trying to put down people who are not comfortable with high temps on their hardware. My guess is you haven't done enough pushing hardware well above spec to have seen silicon degradation. Very high temps will cause higher silicon degradation. We will know in a few years if constantly pushing ryzen 5000 series to 90 degrees C is OK or not. E.g. had a gtx 580 many years ago that was built for extreme overclocking and could do 940mhz stable when new with max software voltage. After 2 years running mostly at 840-880 range with slightly higher voltage than "normal" it couldn't do more than 920mhz stable at max software voltage (didn't use the push-buttons for hardware voltage due to being on air). A stock 580 would ship with 772mhz clocks for reference and back then you actually needed the OC to get above 40 fps in some games or run SLI. Newer chips are pushed close to the limit by default on stock so it will be interesting to see in a few years if they have pushed their hardware too hard on stock settings to get the manufacturer performance crown.

The CPU starts to throttle it's boost somewhere in the 60s on stock though so you loose a bit of performance, at least it is like that on the 5900x, but you might not care. The base clocks throttle at 95 IIRC, but boost takes into account many factors including temp. Not that noticeable in real world usage but you will see it if you run a stable benchmark load like cinebench and monitor the clocks and temps at the start and towards the end while it is running for 5 minutes on air or 15 minutes on water.

You do sound like a bit of a jerk, to put it nicely, when first asking if temps are OK and then trying to put down people who are not comfortable with high temps on their hardware. My guess is you haven't done enough pushing hardware well above spec to have seen silicon degradation. Very high temps will cause higher silicon degradation. We will know in a few years if constantly pushing ryzen 5000 series to 90 degrees C is OK or not. E.g. had a gtx 580 many years ago that was built for extreme overclocking and could do 940mhz stable when new with max software voltage. After 2 years running mostly at 840-880 range with slightly higher voltage than "normal" it couldn't do more than 920mhz stable at max software voltage (didn't use the push-buttons for hardware voltage due to being on air). A stock 580 would ship with 772mhz clocks for reference and back then you actually needed the OC to get above 40 fps in some games or run SLI. Newer chips are pushed close to the limit by default on stock so it will be interesting to see in a few years if they have pushed their hardware too hard on stock settings to get the manufacturer performance crown.

The CPU starts to throttle it's boost somewhere in the 60s on stock though so you loose a bit of performance, at least it is like that on the 5900x, but you might not care. The base clocks throttle at 95 IIRC, but boost takes into account many factors including temp. Not that noticeable in real world usage but you will see it if you run a stable benchmark load like cinebench and monitor the clocks and temps at the start and towards the end while it is running for 5 minutes on air or 15 minutes on water.
My advice to you is to calm down and stop being so emotional. Let's try to keep discussions civil.

My advice to you is to calm down and stop being so emotional. Let's try to keep discussions civil.
Again you are trying to insult people, in this case directed directly at me and then write that you want to keep the discussion civil. I wrote a perfectly valid explanation of why it is not a good idea to keep your CPU at 90 degrees. It might be good a few years down the line or it might not. If you feel comfortable to do so is up to you.

Back