New 13600KF Build with Asrock Z690 Steel Legend - High Temps Issue

Sprintz25

n00b
Hi All,

Merry Christmas.

Have just built a new computer with a AIO Deepcool Castle 240EX Water-cooling for the CPU.

I'm no newbie, been building systems for many years.

The bios for these 1700 chips has heaps of settings i've never seen before (upgraded from a Z390 with a 9600K).

System is running fine, however, when i run Cinebench multi core bench i am getting temps of 111 - 112 degrees Celsius.

I'm getting scores of ~ 20,000 which is relatively low for this CPU but my main concern is the temp, its crazy high, especially for a water-cooled system.

Hardware Info tells me i'm being CPU throttled and the TDW is massive as well.

I've googled best settings for this mobo but cant find much info at all.

If anyone has some recommended BIOS settings for voltage etc please let me know.

HW Info screen shot during Cinebench multi core as follows:

1671960150519.png

The system performs perfectly during gaming etc, temps are all good and i know Cinebench is fairly hectic but these temps are higher than anything i've seen online.

Thanks in advance,

James

Scores of 20,000.....in what?

A. Does your Deepcool AIO have LGA 1700 specific mounting hardware? If not, you need to get this. This can affect your temps a lot.

B. If you have the correct mounting hardware, then I would suggest a mounting bracket for the CPU socket. Such as the one from thermalright. This helps keep the motherboard from bending, which can affect the mounting contact between the CPU and the cooler. In general, the improvement here is usually small (yet, noticeable). However, for some motherboards and cooler combos, it can be a fairly significant improvement.

Attachments

• 51rpaGhlorL._SL1500_.jpg
    51rpaGhlorL._SL1500_.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Air coolers like the Noctua D15 outperform liquid coolers below 280mm and they don't come close to keeping RPL CPUs below 100C on unconstrained power limits.

With your current hardware, the things you can tweak is

1) Delid the CPU (around 10-15C decrease)
2) Undervolt the CPU, most RPL CPUs can take a -120 to -150mv offset in BIOS (around 8-12C decrease)
3) Get an aftermarket mounting frame (around 2-3C decrease)
4) Get a higher performing thermal paste material (1-2 C difference with better paste style TIMs, 5-6C with liquid metal)
5) Put in a PL2 power limit (variable effect)

Last edited:
Also, that CPU cooler came out in 2019. I don't know how long you've had it, or if its from an old build, but in my experience the shelf life on those things is barely 2 years before the plastic pumps start to gunk up and shit out. Also the fluid levels in those is notoriously low, so if you have it mounted where the pump is slightly above the rad you could be running on fumes. Before you all crazy on it, id honestly replace that cooler with either a beQuite or a Noctua air cooler, or a new 2021/22 edition AIO from Arctic ( though... I hate AIO's and I take deeeep breaths before recommending them ever.) Lastly. Put a contact frame on it.

A. Does your Deepcool AIO have LGA 1700 specific mounting hardware? If not, you need to get this. This can affect your temps a lot.

B. If you have the correct mounting hardware, then I would suggest a mounting bracket for the CPU socket. Such as the one from thermalright. This helps keep the motherboard from bending, which can affect the mounting contact between the CPU and the cooler. In general, the improvement here is usually small (yet, noticeable). However, for some motherboards and cooler combos, it can be a fairly significant improvement.
Thanks for all the replies and info everyone, apologies for the late reply, been a busy Christmas and NY :)

20,000 score was in Cinebench.

a) The supplier for the Deepcool AIO did send me a specific LGA 1700 mounting kit a week after the cooler arrived (i had jerry rigged it quite well with the supplied 115x kit prior to that as i was keen to fire it up, interestingly temps were the same with the jerry rigegd setup vs the correct 1700 kit).

b) based on your suggestion and subsequent research of my own i have now ordered a Thermalright mounting bracket

Thanks for your help

Air coolers like the Noctua D15 outperform liquid coolers below 280mm and they don't come close to keeping RPL CPUs below 100C on unconstrained power limits.

With your current hardware, the things you can tweak is

1) Delid the CPU (around 10-15C decrease)
2) Undervolt the CPU, most RPL CPUs can take a -120 to -150mv offset in BIOS (around 8-12C decrease)
3) Get an aftermarket mounting frame (around 2-3C decrease)
4) Get a higher performing thermal paste material (1-2 C difference with better paste style TIMs, 5-6C with liquid metal)
5) Put in a PL2 power limit (variable effect)
Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Interesting what you say about air coolers and unconstrained power limits etc. I googled temps above 100C and i couldnt find anyone who was hitting 112C. Most were 90 - 100 which is why i posted here.

1) I looked into this but this is beyond my capability (and the warranty voiding etc is of concern). I cant believe at the price point of these chips Intel doesnt use better thermal paste.

2) I assume RPL means Raptor Lake. I'll look into the Asrock BIOS options and see if i can drop the CPU voltage.

3) Ordered one thank you.

4) I'm using Arctic Silver 5 as thermal paste which should be OK based on my research to date but if there's something better you'd recommend please advise.

5) I'll have to look into Asrock BIOS options, do you have a power limit voltage in mind?

Also, that CPU cooler came out in 2019. I don't know how long you've had it, or if its from an old build, but in my experience the shelf life on those things is barely 2 years before the plastic pumps start to gunk up and shit out. Also the fluid levels in those is notoriously low, so if you have it mounted where the pump is slightly above the rad you could be running on fumes. Before you all crazy on it, id honestly replace that cooler with either a beQuite or a Noctua air cooler, or a new 2021/22 edition AIO from Arctic ( though... I hate AIO's and I take deeeep breaths before recommending them ever.) Lastly. Put a contact frame on it.
Thanks for your comment.

The Deepcool AIO is brand new, i bought an older model as it was on sale.

The radiator is mounted at the top of my case well above the pump.

I'll install the contact frame, make the recommended voltage changes and see how the temps are.

If they are still too high then i'll look into an alternate cooler.

The thing is, on idle i'm at 40C, gaming at 4K is at ~ 60 - 65C.

I only hit crazy temps on Cinebench on the multi core test.

That's what freaked me out but real world usage temps are ok with this cooler.

Which version of Cinibench? R23?

If its R23: 20,000 is low for a 13600k.

Have you updated the bios to the latest version? Asrock sometimes makes mistakes on voltages, which usually get fixed in a bios update.

After that, I would look for any performance booster settings in the bios. Asrock sometimes calls it BFB Base Frequency Boost. Also look at the power limit settings. They might have it set to a really high power limit, by default. Try chaning the power limit to Intel stock values.

I've been having the exact same issue reported here but with I5-13600KF and Asrock z690 PG Riptide Motherboard.
Thought it was a faulty AIO Coolermaster ML240L cooler, temps were spiking to 115 degrees when running benchmarks, but were ok in normal use.
Fitted a AK620 cooler and temps were better.. but still spike to 115 when running cinebench or other cpu benchmark tools.

I have now messed with the bios and set power limits and reduced lots of settings and the temps are great, and performance seems ok..
Not sure if this is a faulty bios/mobo/cpu or fixed with a setting somehow.
Screenshot_2023-01-11_061535.png

image.png

Anyone run these mounting brackets with a Noctua 12S or a CM hyper 212 Evo?

I used a Thermalright bracket with my Hyper 212 Evo and a Noctua U12A and it worked great in both cases.

I used the 1700 mouting kit with my old Noctua C12P on the 13600k and it actually worked well in most situations! I mean, it's a 10 year old heatsink, but it still does the bare minimum while power limits are kept within the 125W range. However, as soon as I unleashed power limits, the old cooler showed its age and temps were sitting around 97C while simply gaming, with the NF-A12/25 screaming at max speed. No way. So I got the ridiculously big NH-D15 and set it and forgot it. Never beyond 85C again, even with the heaviest workloads.

Back