Network backup software

Liquidkristal

Supreme [H]ardness
We currently use Vembu Storegrid (it does the job, but we are looking around to see what else is out there that is similar), Storegrid is tasked with any folders that the clients want backing up that aren't on the system disk.

All system disks are backed up nightly using veeam (Ent+ edition). Now we haven;t really done any experimenting with using veeam as a "File" backup mechanism (Files are the most requested thing to be restored, we have only ever restored entire VM's a handful of times).

Is it worth looking at getting veeam to do backups of the "files" (I know it does it all block based), or is symantec BE worth looking at (Used it before, but not in this sort of scenario), or are Dell AppAssue / Commvault Simpana the sort of things we should be looking at.

We are currently protecting aroun 10 - 15 million files from around 30 seperate systems (seperate companies / domains)

Don't do AppAssure.
4.7 was good, however since they went to 5.x it has been terrible. Every time I've tested it, I've hard numerous problems.

We use storagecraft shadowprotect, works great.

We should really have a backup reccomendation sticky

What is the existing method of backup? Just internet-based backup of raw files for clients? No application-aware intelligence needed? Are you hosting the Vembu

Can storagecraft restore an individual file / folder in a few minutes without needing to restore a full disk image beforehand to access the file for restore?

Can storagecraft restore an individual file / folder in a few minutes without needing to restore a full disk image beforehand to access the file for restore?

Absolutely and easily. Do it all the time.

That said, you can restore individual files from Veeam. It's slower than Storagecraft for sure, but if you're already paying for Veeam there's generally no need to have both, unless you need the better retention options that Storagecraft provides.

well after our vembu install decided to stop backing things up on 1 server (all the reports said that the backup was a success, and that it had been backing up files) its now time to look a bit more seriously at other options..

Storagecraft is looking ok, Asigra is getting a look in, anyone used unitrends?

and our Veeam install is going to get altered to evaluate file level.

Big fan of Commvault Simpana here. It can be quite complicated as well as pricey, but it "just works" and can do anything you want.

Commvault dealer here, especially once you begin to grow an enterprise it fits in quite well. That being said, the OP asked about Unitrends. My experience with them as a reseller is less than stellar. Gotta watch their sales weasels. And unless you utilize a secondary unit for offsite, they'll try and sell you a Tripplite external USB-SATA dock and bare drives. Not quite an optimal solution. We replaced Unitrends with Datto.

Last edited:
You said you are using Veeam... I also use Veeam and I do file-level restores quite regularly. What is the problem you are having?

Yes it backs up the entire VM, but when you go to restore you can pick and choose what you want to restore. The entire VM, just the virtual hard disks, or files within those virtual hard disks.

To keep it simple I would not want to add another backup system into the mix when Veeam can do it. Or are you trying to back up physical servers?

I accomplish that with robocopy and copying files at specific intervals to a VM which is backed up by Veeam.

Don't do AppAssure.
4.7 was good, however since they went to 5.x it has been terrible. Every time I've tested it, I've hard numerous problems.

What specifically is not working?

We are evaluating new Backup Appliances, and the Dell DL4000 w/ AppAssure is on top right now.

Commvault dealer here, especially once you begin to grow an enterprise it fits in quite well. That being said, the OP asked about Unitrends. My experience with them as a reseller is less than stellar. Gotta watch their sales weasels. And unless you utilize a secondary unit for offsite, they'll try and sell you a Tripplite external USB-SATA dock and bare drives. Not quite an optimal solution. We replaced Unitrends with Datto.

They are also on our list of possible vendors. Any insight into their issues would be appreciated.

What specifically is not working?

We are evaluating new Backup Appliances, and the Dell DL4000 w/ AppAssure is on top right now.

Lots of problems just making backups. Snaps would never start, agents would go offline when they were online, I could not get a single SQL backup to complete, etc.
Look at the old AppAssure forums, there are a number of people with issues with 5.x http://forum.appassure.com/
They still don't support 2012 CSV yet, let alone 2012 R2!

Lots of problems just making backups. Snaps would never start, agents would go offline when they were online, I could not get a single SQL backup to complete, etc.
Look at the old AppAssure forums, there are a number of people with issues with 5.x http://forum.appassure.com/
They still don't support 2012 CSV yet, let alone 2012 R2!

And is this a purely software setup or with a dedicated appliance?

They are also on our list of possible vendors. Any insight into their issues would be appreciated.

Re: Datto. I've got 3 units out right now, looking to put a few more out by the end of summer. They've been pretty stable for the most part. The backups have been sound, being based on Storagecraft software. The one thing that I've have some random issues with is their automated remote for screenshots. The Siris line takes an image of servers and fires them up on a daily basis in VirtualBox on the appliance and emails a screenshot of the login proving successful boot of the backup. I have had a couple random images freak out on the boot, and them the next day they're fine. I've done test boots of the Backups when they fail and they fire up and seem fine, so who knows.

Re: Datto. I've got 3 units out right now, looking to put a few more out by the end of summer. They've been pretty stable for the most part. The backups have been sound, being based on Storagecraft software. The one thing that I've have some random issues with is their automated remote for screenshots. The Siris line takes an image of servers and fires them up on a daily basis in VirtualBox on the appliance and emails a screenshot of the login proving successful boot of the backup. I have had a couple random images freak out on the boot, and them the next day they're fine. I've done test boots of the Backups when they fail and they fire up and seem fine, so who knows.

What about Unitrends?

My issues with Unitrends are more on the reseller/support side than anything else. They almost insist on direct sales as opposed to working with a reseller, and the sales weasel that we worked with was not very forthcoming on the options and/or explanations, specifically the off-site backup. i.e. Bare drive in an upright eSATA dock. That's not going to fly. Between that, random issues with Backup. Their standard agent looks like it's a middleware app to run a Windows NT backup back to the appliance... I was never able to get the BareMetal agent to take a proper backup and/or a restore to operate properly either. Also be VERY wary of the capacity ratings, and the capacity of the device doesn't always line up with the licensed capacity, i.e. mirrored 2TB drives, licensed for 1TB, when "no licensing" is the motto. All in all, just not a good experience on the first device. Let alone working with Sales to size additional devices.

Back