Netflix raises prices on standard and premium plans

Which just goes to show that they are blowing hot air. Always playing the victim and always overstating the actual impact of piracy on their bottom line. The fact remains that most pirates wouldn't turn into paying customers overnight if they put an end to piracy. The thing is, they don't have to end piracy, they have to offer a service that is better, and people will pay for it. mp3 sharing didn't die, it has become irrelevant, because of music streaming services that are affordable and more convenient. Music streaming works because they don't have exclusives, they don't try to fragment the market, they don't geolock content, therefore people happily pay for it.
It completely destroyed large section of the music industry and did cut the revenues by a lot, yes making spotify free and having everything on youtube with adblockers make piracy irrelevant on that platform, but removed all revenues as well, people happily pay very little for having it on their mobile.

Has for always overstating the actual impact of piracy on their bottom line maybe they do, but from what I remember it was around 3-7% of the pirated content that would have turned into a sales in their complaining models (they compare sales when a good leak get out a bad leak versus product that did not have them and market that had a version for them versus not when language barrier are relevant enough), maybe it is vastly overstated but it was far from saying that 100% of the pirated content would have been sold.

Court fees asked include much more than what you claim to have lost in general it also include a punishment section historically (to make sure that the fine is always bigger than what you made as revenues from the fraudulus actions).

It is more convenient for me, not for the technically illiterate. But the technically illiterate won't pirate either way, so how is this relevant?
Convenient for you is something absolutely subjective and I am not sure how relevant here, when someone say something is more convenient without adding for themselve in that type of conversation it imply more of an objective judgment.

For example if I say, netflix exploded on streaming versus it's dvd by mail models even with a much much smaller and worst offer because it was much more convenient (well false for many people without broaden internet, I am talking overall).

The technically illiterate nowadays in many market pirates a lot and always had, it was homemade copy of cd/dvd/vhs in flee market back in the days, today it is all setuped android box stream.

Thank you. Agreed mate! Taco remember Robinson crusoe. Nd also some other book about german uboat that got eventually sunk by american destroyer.

Ive read about 50 books this year...and watched maybe 5 hours of TV. And those 5 hours were old star trek (TOS) shows with my wife who hadn't seen them.

I'd be interested in the impression of someone who watched it before the controversy. Reading reviews from before the controversy, it sounds like it's supposed to make viewers squeamish. I guess it's kind of like making a movie about child soldiers. It's heart-wrenching, but that doesn't mean it's not a valid topic.
I do wonder as well (could read people Sundance impression), I am not sure I ever saw a stronger/more powerful message against the hyper sexualisation of young girl that the movie Cutie.

I cannot imagine a parent of a young girl watching this and not thinking, ok I need to give attention on what my young girl is seeing/doing on those Instagram/TikTok of the world, it is hard to put myself in the mind of someone that is not sickened/hard to watch by the movie and conclude the opposite, that it is pro-hypersexualisation.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
I just... Didn't watch cuties. No matter what interpretation or controversy of what the movie is actually about. It didn't seem like something that I would ever have any interest in and not would I want to give it any views.
Is it bad? Is it pedophile? I frankly don't care enough to actually find out.

If you want to watch something with sexual dancing, Watch "Dancing with the birds." Which is about birds of paradise and the ridiculous stuff they go through to try and find a mate, all in Ultra HD 4k and with a nice big band soundtrack.

It was addressed to you.
You are talking a lot of fuzz about nothing trying to appears smart, however you are just proving my point that pirates will go to length of weird logic to justify taking something and not living up to their part of the deal.
You don't live up to your side of the arrangement it is wrong no matter how you try to picture a new world in you utopian fantasy

Full discloure: I did not read your full post as it It seems you are just repeating yourself: "We cant beat people getting killed so we are mights as well go murder them" idiotics. Again just proving my original point of extreme lenghts to justify a amoral act

Yep, your the smartest, I concede to your superior morality and endless whataboutism and exageration.

By the way, what happened to piracy rates after netflix launched?

Yep, your the smartest, I concede to your superior morality and endless whataboutism and exageration.

You calling me out for whataboutism and then ask my what about when netflix launched? Thats kinda adorable
Your question is irrelevant for the moral standpoint, and has nothing to do with my arguments.

So how much more can they raise it before you become "worried"? When we've regressed back toward $150-300 monthly Cable/satellite bills will you be worried then? Because we're headed in that direction right now (arguably already there) with industry fragmentation that requires you to subscribe to multiple services simultaneously in order to have access to most content. A "small" increase becomes a "big" increase if you subscribe to 5 services and each one raises their cost a "small" amount.
I'm with TheSlySyl , for a few reasons. Getting to pick and choose what services you want is nice, they're not THAT expensive unto themselves. If you're any sort of avid content consumer, you can easily afford to have more than one. I'm not sure about you but I don't like watching commercials, or waiting for something to come on the air to watch it. Not only that, but any sort of on-demand service through cable still costs extra. It's shitty that things like Hulu have Ad-included and Ad-free tiers, but you're free to vote with your wallet and not use them, or cough up for the Ad-free tier.

One of the big ones is also that you can typically share services amongst multiple people, most of them support distinct profiles that enable this. If you break down the cost per person, it's actually still very cheap. Most people probably have enough friends and family to split these things with to realize the full 'discount'.

When we've regressed back toward $150-300 monthly Cable/satellite bills will you be worried then?
Sure, but I think we're much further out from that then this statement implies. Don't need to sharpen the pitchforks just yet.

You calling me out for whataboutism and then ask my what about when netflix launched? Thats kinda adorable
Your question is irrelevant for the moral standpoint, and has nothing to do with my arguments.

Morality is irrelavent to business unless it is either illegal, or being moral will capture more customers. Better to capture those that pirate due to cost or accessibility with low cost easily accessable items then not.

You can bury your head in the sand for the rest of it.

If you're any sort of avid content consumer, you can easily afford to have more than one.

I'm not understanding the connection you're trying to make here. Some of the poorest people are also the ones who spend the most time watching TV shows and Movies - especially the ones who are unemployed. Consuming a lot of content certainly doesn't imply that someone has extra money to burn, only that they have a lot of free time.

I'm not understanding the connection you're trying to make here. Some of the poorest people are also the ones who spend the most time watching TV shows and Movies - especially the ones who are unemployed. Consuming a lot of content certainly doesn't imply that someone has extra money to burn, only that they have a lot of free time.
My point is that it's still the cheapest option, even if you have to get more than one.

I am not sure about Piracy rate, but apparently absolute piracy exploded after Netflix launched their streaming service in 2007 (and to be more relevant after it started to become popular around 2010/2011), by around 5 times.

I do wonder as well (could read people Sundance impression), I am not sure I ever saw a stronger/more powerful message against the hyper sexualisation of young girl that the movie Cutie.

I cannot imagine a parent of a young girl watching this and not thinking, ok I need to give attention on what my young girl is seeing/doing on those Instagram/TikTok of the world, it is hard to put myself in the mind of someone that is not sickened/hard to watch by the movie and conclude the opposite, that it is pro-hypersexualisation.
I mean if you needed a show or movie or whatever it is to tell you that.. well, poor kids.

I mean if you needed a show or movie or whatever it is to tell you that.. well, poor kids.
Show or movie are not necessarily medium to tell, it is more about to make you feel. (And how many parent buy a smartphone to a young kid in this world ? It is not necessarily about me in particular)

Lot of people knew about explosion of suicide among young girl and a possible link to social media, hyper sexualisation and so on (that all stuff I knew), the movie is about making you feel sick about it.

To make a clearer case, before the movie when there was a strong conservative reaction to the latest video clip of Cardi B (more pop aware youngster will maybe say I am not using the good example, I am out of the loop here a little bit), I thought it was a bit of reactionary, that we always had since Elvis Presley. Right after the movie, not so much.

Morality is irrelavent to business unless it is either illegal, or being moral will capture more customers. Better to capture those that pirate due to cost or accessibility with low cost easily accessable items then not.

You can bury your head in the sand for the rest of it.

hold on, so pirating content is okay if there isn’t another legit alternative available? That’s your whole argument?

and morality is irrelevant to business unless it is illegal?

But morality is irrelevant to individuals regardless of legal status of the act?

Maybe they can't access the content through legitimate means (much of the world outside of the US has roadblocks to content) and that desire to watch it, be part of that zeitgeist, trumps the moral argument for them.

ah, so the desire of the individual to have the content makes it okay. And then it’s up to the companies to provide that means so that those poor content-deprived people can watch reruns of Friends without having to steal the content and break the law?

I see. what you’re saying is: you can’t change the behavior of the users, so change the policies/services to fit the behavior. And forget the whole morality argument in the first place.

I see. what you’re saying is: you can’t change the behavior of the users, so change the policies/services to fit the behavior. And forget the whole morality argument in the first place.

Somewhat generalized but yes, because you can't change user morality, and frankly its futile to try (just think of the local moral divergence, let alone group to group, state to state, nation to nation). So instead we should be encouraging and adopting strategies that fit a broader market. Streaming content for a monthly fee just happens to be one of the most successful models to date.

Back