Netflix plans video game expansion

For a second I thought by the title that this was going to be yet another game streaming service like Stadia or something. More games are always a good thing, and maybe without all the red tape of larger companies and some freedom perhaps a Netflix-funded game could turn out decent. Although we've seen what has become of Amazon's gaming division, so who knows but I guess we'll find out.

I also assumed this would be game streaming. Could be decent I guess. Even though at lot are trash, Netflix originals at least usually have some level of production value.

Whenever I read the term "woke" being used non-ironically, I always picture southern Baptists with 2 blonde haired children named Cody and Dakota in the Chik-Fil-A drive-thru. I get eye-rolling 200 genders and "math being racist," but people use it to belittle content that simply has a female or black lead.

people use it to belittle content that simply has a female or black lead.

I don't mind a female lead at all. But in games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where every male character is either evil or moronic, it gets a little ridiculous.

I like strong badass female leads, like Ellen Ripley. The Alien franchise didn't need to be "woke" to be inclusive. I think that what annoys people about modern entertainment media isn't the race or gender of the lead, but rather the over-the-top virtue signaling and constant social justice messaging. It just feels synthetic and forced. And at this point, repetitive and predictable.

Ah, that does sound likely

"He also was previously the head of mobile games at EA and held leadership roles at several game developers, including Kabam and Zynga."

I don't mind a female lead at all. But in games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, where every male character is either evil or moronic, it gets a little ridiculous.
I actually prefer a female lead so long as it has big fat anime tiddies. I don't want to look at a guy all day but I also don't want to look at a girl who looks like a guy.
I like strong badass female leads, like Ellen Ripley. The Alien franchise didn't need to be "woke" to be inclusive. I think that what annoys people about modern entertainment media isn't the race or gender of the lead, but rather the over-the-top virtue signaling and constant social justice messaging. It just feels synthetic and forced. And at this point, repetitive and predictable.
That's the problem with modern media is someone has to inject their beliefs into it. I don't want to hear about your view of politics and I don't want to be told that being male is bad. Especially a male who likes big fat tiddies. After Avengers End Game this is where I feel Marvel is heading because Disney. This is one of the reasons why Final Fantasy Online is beating WoW right now, because Blizzard is full of woke. Look at what Final Fantasy Online allows in their game. Thank God for the Japanese. May they never go woke.
HygxW4oNfwQq8mAYUpNHY3-1200-80.jpg
They tried to make a MMO but canned it due to lack of interest.
They filled it with micro-transactions before they even released the game. I think pay-2-win ones too. You can't be doing that shit in 2021.

I'm trying to remember if Netflix rented out video game discs back when they were all about online DVD rentals (remember when people would rent physical DVDs and mail them back?), or if that was other derivative services like GameFly instead.

At any rate, it's not entirely farfetched for them to do so, but if it's a cloud gaming service, it'll be a tough sell. Dependency on a good Internet connection the entire time is annoying, input lag is annoying, video compression artifacts are annoying, and charging full price for a game you can't run locally like OnLive (RIP) and Stadia is an instant GTFO.

Xbox Game Pass at least has cross-platform support, including cloud saves, and first-party Microsoft titles going for it, but even it has its faults, like games running noticeably worse to begin with than they would running natively on one of my gaming PCs because they're running on Xbox One spec systems when being streamed.

On top of that, using your smartphone as a streaming terminal seriously sucks if you don't have a gamepad (and you couldn't stream through PC browsers until fairly recently), and forget the KB+M option on cross-platform titles. It's more like the option you take when you don't have a gaming PC or an Xbox One/Series around to use.

In summary: cloud gaming has a lot of downsides that piss off core gamers, very little upside unless the cheap subscription covers the entire game library (which, like their movie/TV series library, is subject to change on a whim), and several entrants, two of which already make consoles and have several first-party titles to provide exclusives for them. Netflix would have to do something crazy for a cloud gaming venture to not be a giant waste of time and money, and I don't see them actually producing gaming hardware to use.

Netflix's own movie works are mostly garbage, so I'd expect no less from their future efforts at gaming. Expect your average trash looter shooter / MMORPG.

Netflix's own movie works are mostly garbage, so I'd expect no less from their future efforts at gaming. Expect your average trash looter shooter / MMORPG.
I don't think they're planning on making their own games. But if they did, yes, I would expect mostly garbage.

They'll probably be some version of in browser game similar to the kinda stuff you see at theaters or candy crush with a remote. I doubt they're going to actually get into a lot of depth.

Whenever I read the term "woke" being used non-ironically, I always picture southern Baptists with 2 blonde haired children named Cody and Dakota in the Chik-Fil-A drive-thru. I get eye-rolling 200 genders and "math being racist," but people use it to belittle content that simply has a female or black lead.
Joy's of normies trying to meme. Like calling someone a Karen these days.

I love ironically reverse prejudicial comments like these.

I grew up with great female and POC leads. Voyager had a female Captain and is light years better than Disco. DS9 had Sisko and COMPLETE episodes dealing with prejudice. No issues with any of it. The new stuff? They just throw woke crap in your face for the sake of it. Its bad themes, bad writing, bad everything.

Companies like Amazon and Netflix have plenty of money. If they REALLY cared to, I'm sure they could hire the right people, to make some decent games.

IMO, rather than looking at high profile devs and directors, they should be looking at people from indy studios. And give them money to scale up a little bit. And I don't even necessarily mean "scaling up" the scope of the game itself. But allow Indy devs to bring their creativity and not worry about marketing and publishing.

And in fact, I think Amazon and Netflix would do well to start with a smaller "indy" type title, first. Amazon tried to start big with MMO's (probably because a ton of potential for making money) and.......they've never released anything. Meanwhile, as I mentioned here recently; Indy survival horror game Outlast and its sequel, sold 14 million copies.

Recently, there has been some talk about Killer Instinct and bringing it back again, for another game. The last one was really good and helped shape the current/modern fight game community landscape. However, the two developer studios whom worked on it, are busy. So people are left wondering who could fill the shoes, do a good job, but maybe also freshen it up?-----> and I think a great choice would be the team whom made Skullgirls.

Or Netflix could tap the Skullgirls team, for an all new fighting game. One can dream.

A. games writing is mostly trash

B. In many cases, the recent wave of content with female leads, is pretty simply gender swapping. So, take a typical male-led actioner with probably trash writing, where every other character is an idiot, including all of the women-----and swap the genders. Now you have an action movie/game, where the smart/hardy/brave/capable lead is a Woman. Everyone else are idiots, even the men. And maaaaybe the villian is compelling, maybe not. And the writing is still probably trash, as it always has been.

I think the obsession with "strong fighter female leads" is...interesting and certainly says a lot about the state of society. It's not really rooted in reality...if anything it's rooted in some weird geek fantasy. Why is it so important that every other game has some cookie-cutter strong female lead? It's definitely not original or creative. It's not a coincidence, either.

I think the obsession with "strong fighter female leads" is...interesting and certainly says a lot about the state of society. It's not really rooted in reality...if anything it's rooted in some weird geek fantasy. Why is it so important that every other game has some cookie-cutter strong female lead? It's definitely not original or creative. It's not a coincidence, either.
As I stated around here before: While I think there are, in some instances, a bit of overcorrection: Its all a general move to balance things out. Simply balancing out the entertainment industry, does not require that every item contributing to that balance, be "original" or "creative". That highlights part of the issue. The idea that movies with Female leads or people of color have to be "good" in order to meet some justification for existing.

Its important because half the world are woman.

Regardless of who is playing the roles: its almost all a fantasy ;)
Its a cultural and social issue, that suspension of disbelief be hung up on which half of the population is in the lead role.

I didn't think game streaming was actually taking off? At least with Google Stadia shuttering. They seem late to a party everyone else is already trying to leave

Guy worked at EA mobile. The micro-transactions will pay for everything.

Back