Netflix Hit By Outage On Christmas Eve

Yep, crappy timing. Good thing I've got amazon prime also. :) I find myself using netflix less and less. The free prime stuff has been mostly tv shows lately it seems though. :(

The company says on its Twitter page that the outage was caused by "some of Amazon's cloud infrastructure

This explains why my prime streaming was out also.....I was forced to watch my FIOS programming......it was horrible..:)

had a brief delay when trying to watch a show, but came back after second try.

Wasn't a big deal, service went out. I switched to prime for a different show. Finished that and netflix was back on and I went back to watching what I was. It happens. Heck I'll end up getting a credit to my bill without asking for something that didn't even bother me. Can't complain about that. So that is what? 2 sub 30 minute service outages in 1 year and one of which I wasn't even home for? Such Shitty Service! OMG!!! :rolleyes:

I was on netflix yesterday and didn't even notice. It must have been a very short outage.

Wasn't Netflix fault. Damn you Amazon cloud

more proof that cloud services are worthless, because when the cloud breaks you are at the mercy of the cloud masters

Yep, crappy timing. Good thing I've got amazon prime also. :) I find myself using netflix less and less. The free prime stuff has been mostly tv shows lately it seems though. :(

Same here. amazon prime was working while netlix was out for me.

I was on netflix yesterday and didn't even notice. It must have been a very short outage.

Why? are you saying you were on netflix for 12+ hours yesterday? down well over 6 hours.

I rented The Dark Knight Rises from Amazon streaming because I couldn't get on Netflix last night. So people turn to Amazon's services when Netflix goes down but Netflix relies on Amazon's cloud....hmmm.

more proof that cloud services are worthless, because when the cloud breaks you are at the mercy of the cloud masters

Really this is a problem of pretty much anything breaking. Phone service, TV service, internet service, gasoline stations, grocery stores, etc. I wouldn't say that makes the service worthless.

I was watching " A Christmas Story" all night long :D

My wife and I were joking that everyone trying to stream A Christmas Story broke Netflix...and then we noticed the movie is no longer available as of today. Coincidence?

O.T. Not much point in you spamming to 50 post either.

Explains the netflix problem I had. Glad they got it sorted out though. Thanks

I was not aware that posting/stating ones' own thoughts was now considered "spam". If that is the case, then what is the point in allowing outsiders to join this site at all? Perhaps you should take this up with those that run the forum. I'm not posting links to things or advertising for anything. I'm just giving my two-cents worth. I thought THAT was the reason this forum exists. or is it that you don't really understand what "spam" actually is?

I see the Netflix thing as a 'non-issue', the Amazon Cloud thing just might be an issue though. I've had problems with Amazon before in regards to this.

Been saying this for the last few years that my company has been trying to get into cloud computing, and they look at me like I just said I was a Nazi.

Who really thinks it's a good idea to make your data only available via an uncontrollable remote server that is subject to downtime for a litany of reasons?

Been saying this for the last few years that my company has been trying to get into cloud computing, and they look at me like I just said I was a Nazi.

Who really thinks it's a good idea to make your data only available via an uncontrollable remote server that is subject to downtime for a litany of reasons?

Or run many applications such as Office 365 off-site. Why does one need to be connected to the Internet to type a paper or make a slideshow?

Or run many applications such as Office 365 off-site. Why does one need to be connected to the Internet to type a paper or make a slideshow?

That's what smartphones, ipads, tablets, and Windows 8 is all about.

lol. I'm facing the same situation now... most people don't realize what Cloud computing even is, but they eat that stuff up like you wouldn't believe.

I guess this is what happens when you have all your eggs in your competitor's basket. :eek:

Evers said the issue was the result of an outage at an Amazon Web Services' cloud computing center in Virginia and started at about 12:30 p.m. PST (2030 GMT) on Monday and was fully restored before 8:00 a.m. PST Tuesday morning, although streaming was available for most users by 11:00 p.m. PST on Monday.

Amazon just cant get their cloud stuff together can they? It always seems to be going out.

I was watching some stuff on Netflix around midnight or so. I never even knew there was an outage.

I don't think you should say who... more like when.

I have worked in mid sized business' where I would rather deal with 3 outages a year due to external hosting then many more due to idiot admins that think "oh this should be easy have not impact" then boom server is down for the night etc.

I have also seen good small company admins etc.

Putting out a blanket statement that 3rd party vendors/servers/clouds etc is always a bad idea, is a bad idea in of itself. There are many circumstances, requirements, resource questions/qualifications needed before even attempting to answer that question.

As far as netflix is concerned... all services have outages, some planned some not planned. Of course things can be improved, but what if netflix said we can remove these outages but will have to raise prices? Oh boy there would be a shit storm all over the net.

Its pretty bad when you can depend on cable tv to work better than netflix

Didn't Amazon claim their service was/is reliable to 1 time in a million or something? Funny how it's gone out twice in a year or two, and they don't change the assessment when confronted by reality. Reminds me of the space shuttle program. "Accident rate in 1 in 300!" Or more like 2/135.

It is becoming pretty obvious that the team that founded and grew Netflix needs to be replaced now that Netflix is a larger, more-established company. This is actually quite common in the history of a company. From pricing fiascos, to "Quikster", to the stupendous decision to dependent on a competitor for streaming, the current "leadership" seems determined to kill their own brand.

I see a lot of remarks blaming cloud computing in general as a bad thing. Its a great thing, IF it meets your needs and you know what you are buying. I have a business that needs significant amounts of elastic computing power. I can afford it by paying for a cloud service what would require a small server farm otherwise. Now, I do have backup reserve retainer with another cloud service for pretty cheap, AND I keep a couple servers (not a server farm) for emergencies.

I see a lot of remarks blaming cloud computing in general as a bad thing. Its a great thing, IF it meets your needs and you know what you are buying. I have a business that needs significant amounts of elastic computing power. I can afford it by paying for a cloud service what would require a small server farm otherwise. Now, I do have backup reserve retainer with another cloud service for pretty cheap, AND I keep a couple servers (not a server farm) for emergencies.

You are correct. The only problem I have with "cloud computing" is that the name has become a buzz word for upper management to use in meetings and this in turn bothers the admins and engineers turning the word "cloud computing" into an eye rolling affair. This is the problem I have with it. There isn't a thing in the world wrong with being able to utilize massive amounts of power for a fraction of the cost of building it out yourself. To be honest most people don't really know what "cloud computing" really involves.

I read somewhere that Netflix has intentions to build out it's own streaming infrastructure in the future but until then Amazon's services are the best possible fit. Without the power of Amazon's infrastructure we would never have Netflix to begin with.

I'm not saying the cloud is perfect but it certainly isn't the villain a lot of people try to make it out to be.

Also Netflix is only $8 bucks a month for streaming. They need it to be on Amazon's cloud services, because they are the cheapest by eleventy billion miles vs. most other major competitors.

Back