Netac Sata SSD. Anyone used?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I just ordered a Netac 256gb sata drive for my plex boot drive because it had a good sale going making it basically the cheapest could buy without going for an obvious fake drive, I used one in my fiancés old laptop and it works but I re vitalized that laptop as a backup. So while it works it’s rarely used. I’m second guessing my decision to go so cheap for a computer which has a power on time of basically 98%. Anyone use one successfully?

I've used a Netac before. One thing that'll help you out here, there aren't that many companies out there that make SSD controllers and NAND, so while buying a nearly-no-name drive will perhaps impact your ability to RMA a drive in the case of a failure, the actual drive itself is almost certainly made by a larger OEM with industry standard parts. As long as it isn't outright fake, and as long as you don't hammer it with writes (which a PLEX server would not do) then I suspect you'll be fine!

I do stream light games off of it to the living room tv As I put a somewhat capable graphics card in it. But the games are on an external drive.

I had almost the same thinking being there are only a few manufacturers of memory and controllers. All together I think it was $18

Your use case sounds perfect for a cheap SSD. I'd say you'll be perfectly fine. Remember, reading from a SSD has essentially zero impact on the drive endurance, it is only writes that wear out the endurance.

Cool, so I’m not going to stress about it and install it. It’s the only computer I have still booting off a spinner

I’ll report the speeds when I get it. The only reason I got it over something like a Team group or patriot is because I let my Prime expire so I couldn’t get one with free shipping. So it came from Ebay

Update. No speeds yet as I just got the migration done. But seems very fast. Also the case is metal on this one

if your device is mostly used as a boot drive, then a SATA interface should work fine, it will give you a noticeable performance boost compared to a traditional hard drive.

Back