Need suggestions - New graphics card, PSU, and possibly NVMe

FenFox

Limp Gawd
Long story short, I sent my 2080 GPU to Gigabyte and they essentially said It's fucked and they need to get me either a.) A new one (which could take months) and it may be a refurbished card which I'm not cool with or it might be a newer card that's close in spec to a 2080 like a 3070/Ti. OR b.) They can refund my $ for the card which was about $930+ CAD before taxes.

Here are my current system specs: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJZK6s

Questions: (CAD pricing)

1.) What GPU should I get?
2.) Will the recommended GPU be bottlenecked by my RAM / Processor or anything else? I know I need to get a new PSU for 3080 and I think 3070Ti cards? Which PSU should I get?
3.) What NVMe would you recommend for this motherboard? Samsung 980 (non-pro)?

Let me know, thanks!

If they will replace it with a 3070/3070ti absolutely go with that. If you can move up to a current gen card that would be a nice bump up. Your 650w is a quality unit, I would stick with it unless it proves to be underpowered while testing the new gpu. If it does I believe 750w is the recommended minimum for a 3070ti and just stick with the usual suspects, Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA etc.
You may get bottlenecked some by your cpu but I would hold off until you've had a chance to test it before buying any new gear.
Your ssd isn't going to hold you back any. A new nvme may load a few things a bit faster but honestly the difference will be nearly impossible to notice. Now if its just time to upgrade. I have had good luck with, sk hynix gold p31 1tb nvme drives. Samsung 970 evo plus is a great drive but there are so so many solid nvme drives to choose from and they are all priced right at $100-$120 for 1tb drives. If you're planning on upgrading soon going with a Gen4x4 drive is a better option. They are more expensive but are backward compatible. On am4 and alderlake mbs they are twice as fast. I'm not sure what kind of speeds they offer on gen3 like yours, so you'll have to check that out. It should say in the specs.
GL with the new gpu! Hopefully they hook you up with something sweet!

70/3070ti absolutely go with that. If you can move up to a current gen card that would be a nice bump up. Your 650w is a quality unit, I would stick with it unless it proves to be underpowered while testing the new gpu. If it does I believe 750w is the recommended minimum for a 3070ti and just stick with the usual suspects, Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA etc.
You may get bottlenecked some by your cpu but I would hold off until you've had a chance to test it before buying any new gear.
Your ssd isn't going to hold you back any. A new nvme may load a few things a bit faster but honestly the difference will be nearly impossible to notice. Now if its just time to upgrade. I have had good luck with, sk hynix gold p31 1tb nvme drives. Samsung 970 evo plus is a great drive but there are so so many solid nvme drives to choose from and they are all priced right at $100-$120 for 1tb drives. If you're planning on upgrading soon going with a Gen4x4 drive is a better option. They are more expensive but are backward compatible. On am4 and alderlake mbs they are twice as fast. I'm not sure what kind of speeds they offer on gen3 like yours, so you'll have to check that out. It should say in the specs.
GL with the new gpu! Hopefully they hook you up with something sweet!

I made a mistake in my initial post. He's offering a 3060 Ti as a replacement for the toast 2080. He claims the 3060 Ti is about 3% faster.
I think the 650 w PSU I currently have should be good enough to support a 3060 TI as well?

I made a mistake in my initial post. He's offering a 3060 Ti as a replacement for the toast 2080. He claims the 3060 Ti is about 3% faster.
I think the 650 w PSU I currently have should be good enough to support a 3060 TI as well?
Oh yeah, your psu will be gtg.

Oh yeah, your psu will be gtg.
So would you accept a 3060 Ti to replace a 2080? Or would you take $1,040.58 instead? Because after taxes that's what the 2080 cost me years ago and I might see if they can reimburse that. Of course if they have a 3060 Ti that they can ship me that would likely be much less hassle than me trying to buy a new GPU.

So would you accept a 3060 Ti to replace a 2080? Or would you take $1,040.58 instead? Because after taxes that's what the 2080 cost me years ago and I might see if they can reimburse that. Of course if they have a 3060 Ti that they can ship me that would likely be much less hassle than me trying to buy a new GPU.
Id take the money and either grab a used 6800xt, 3080 or get a new 3070 or 6700xt unless prices keep coming down and a 3080 or 6800 becomes available. Your hitting a good time to buy believe it or not. Prices are finally starting to come back down to earth.

Id take the money and either grab a used 6800xt, 3080 or get a new 3070 or 6700xt unless prices keep coming down and a 3080 or 6800 becomes available. Your hitting a good time to buy believe it or not. Prices are finally starting to come back down to earth.
Not sure if that's a good deal for me. Was thinking about it earlier. The 2080 GPU was $929.09 (CAD) before taxes and $1,040.58 (CAD) after taxes. I don't think I see Gigabyte reimbursing me for the taxes I paid so that leaves me with $929.09 to work with.
I don't know if I can get a 3060Ti, 3070 or 3070 Ti with $929.09 CAD and I'm not sure if a 650 w PSU can support a 3070Ti? Getting a 3080 card would for sure involve me having to upgrade my PSU which I'm really not wanting to spend like $200 on. Plus, the CPU might bottleneck the 3080?

Last edited:
Ah I didn't realize you were north of the border. I'm not sure what prices are like for you. The 3060ti may be the best bet.
Your psu could most likely handle up to a 3070ti, with the power draw of the rest of your rig added in but yeah a 3080 would be pushing it AND your cpu.
I would check out prices of 3060ti and 3070s and 6700s just to be certain you arent going to leave any money on the table tho.

Ah I didn't realize you were north of the border. I'm not sure what prices are like for you. The 3060ti may be the best bet.
Your psu could most likely handle up to a 3070ti, with the power draw of the rest of your rig added in but yeah a 3080 would be pushing it AND your cpu.
I would check out prices of 3060ti and 3070s and 6700s just to be certain you arent going to leave any money on the table tho.
Gigabyte AORUS - 3060Ti 8GB $899
There was: Asus 3070Ti's going for $880 but they were on sale and they sold out quick. Would be like a 25% boost over the 3060Ti. $899 is considered overpriced for the 3060Ti they're selling.

Why and AMD Radeon 6700? How much better is a 3070 over a 3060Ti?

Gigabyte AORUS - 3060Ti 8GB $899
There was: Asus 3070Ti's going for $880 but they were on sale and they sold out quick. Would be like a 25% boost over the 3060Ti. $899 is considered overpriced for the 3060Ti they're selling.

Why and AMD Radeon 6700? How much better is a 3070 over a 3060Ti?
Argh, that would've been a nice deal to catch!
Sry meant 6700xt and 3070ti, lazy typing. There have been some solid 6700xt deals recently, for the right price that could be a solid option if you could save a couple bills. I'm not sure how the 3070 stacks up against the 3060ti tbh. I haven't paid it much attention because of the 8gb vram. I believe its equal to a 2080ti so probably a smidge faster.

Argh, that would've been a nice deal to catch!
Sry meant 6700xt and 3070ti, lazy typing. There have been some solid 6700xt deals recently, for the right price that could be a solid option if you could save a couple bills. I'm not sure how the 3070 stacks up against the 3060ti tbh. I haven't paid it much attention because of the 8gb vram. I believe its equal to a 2080ti so probably a smidge faster.
They offered this card to me as a replacement for the 2080. Would you accept? https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N306TEAGLE-8GD-rev-10#kf

That seems like a good replacement. Keep in mind that prices have been dropping pretty consistently and you may be better served by taking the money and trying for either something faster now or waiting for the next series of cards to come out this fall. The performance increase is supposed to be significant. But of course that depends entirely on what you are using currently and if going that long is an acceptable option. I'm not trying to make the choice more difficult, I just want you to know whats available to you so you don't regret your choice.

pends entirely on what you are using currently and if going that long is an acceptable option. I'm not trying to make the choice more difficult, I just want you to know whats available to you so you don't regret your choice.
Well, I'm using Intel Integrated Graphics right now. I also don't really wanna pay to upgrade my PSU to support a more demanding graphics card. But the reason I asked about this 3060Ti in particular is because I heard It's kinda like their "budget" 3060Ti offering and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Well, I'm using Intel Integrated Graphics right now. I also don't really wanna pay to upgrade my PSU to support a more demanding graphics card. But the reason I asked about this 3060Ti in particular is because I heard It's kinda like their "budget" 3060Ti offering and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Ah, I gotcha. So they are replacing your top tier card with a lower end card? Hmmm, I would let them know that's not an acceptable replacement and see what they say. They are likely trying to get out of this as inexpensively as possible. A little push back may prompt them to up the ante a bit, or not, but you'll never know if you don't try. At worst you keep this card or take the money and tell them to shove it. It's nice that you still have options.

Ah, I gotcha. So they are replacing your top tier card with a lower end card? Hmmm, I would let them know that's not an acceptable replacement and see what they say. They are likely trying to get out of this as inexpensively as possible. A little push back may prompt them to up the ante a bit, or not, but you'll never know if you don't try. At worst you keep this card or take the money and tell them to shove it. It's nice that you still have options.
Well, I don't know about it being "top tier" but I don't think it was entry-level.

Here's my old card: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080WF3OC-8GC#kf
Note that it has 3 fans. Then compare it to what they will give me in the 3060Ti
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N306TEAGLE-8GD-rev-10#kf

Right, windforce is or used to be high end or was it windforce3? I forget. The eagle line is definitely bottom end tho.
Still worth chatting with them about a possible upgrade. The worst they can say is no. Its not like there's a shortage of 3060tis. So they cant use the hurry up and take it ruse.

Back